Cabinet Library Info

Place to discuss only the "Design Sharing" aspects of the eCabinet Systems software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Clint Buechlein

Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Cabinet Library Info

Postby Kerry Fullington » Sun, Aug 27 2006, 10:48PM

Several in this thread have voiced a desire to see more of what is in the cabinet libraries so I did a quick web page that hopefully will answer some of those questions.

Kerry Fullington Cabinet Libraries

There are links that show a bit of the construction and links that show thumbnails of all the cabinets that are included in the libraries as well as jobs done in eCabinets using the libraries.
I also included downloads of some sample cabinets for members to examine.
I hope this helps.
Kerry

Joe Stone

Postby Joe Stone » Tue, Aug 29 2006, 9:14AM

I think that will be much more complete for those new people not familiar with your work Kerry. I think you have taken the ball and run again. You must get tired with all that running. I wonder if the others who plan to post will have this ability also? I am curious how long did this take you, or did you hire it out? GREAT JOB as always.
Joe Stone

Precision Concept Cutting
http://www.pccmich.com

Frank Shic

Postby Frank Shic » Tue, Aug 29 2006, 2:48PM

nice job, kerry! i learned a great deal by just paying attention to how you saved the cabinet files with size notations (eg w_12_30 for wall cabinet 12\" wide and 30\" tall). i noticed that you have several cabinets with blind ends and i was wondering how you cover up the open area of the cabinet. is it easier to just add the panel in the group/assembly area?

Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Postby Kerry Fullington » Tue, Aug 29 2006, 7:17PM

Thanks Joe and Frank

Joe,
The Library page was something I threw together quickly so that people could see what was in each library. The Thumbnails are pretty rough (they were just screen shots of the eCabinets jpegs) but they will give everyone an idea of what they are getting. There are also some cabinets to download so that you can look at them in eCabinets. I hope to improve on this page in the future.

Frank
The end of the adjoining cabinet closes the blind cabinet when it is attached.

Kerry

Frank Shic

Postby Frank Shic » Tue, Aug 29 2006, 10:44PM

kelly, thanks for the explanation - duh!!! BTW i was playing around with kcdw for a bit just to see how much easier it was to layout a presentation and i must admit that it was much faster than ecabs because it already has a pre-populated library that doesn't require hard drive loading but after seeing all the images that you've been posting, i got inspired to try again and my results are looking much better - especially after i figured out how to get the cabinets to align next to each other! the one thing that i noticed on kcdw is that you surrender control over manipulating the details for the actual cabinets not to mention the initial price tag of ~$4000...

having thorough libraries (like you're offering) available for future users will GREATLY reduce the learning curve to just learning how to design a presentation which is what most people are itching to do.

where'd you get that cute worm icon anyways? :)

Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Postby Kerry Fullington » Wed, Aug 30 2006, 6:53AM

Frank,
That is exactly why I am going to the library type setup. I am trying to get the design and bid time down. I joined the Cabinet Maker Magazine \"Webinar\" about software a few months back (which was just an infomercial for KCDW) and realized that it wasn't eCabinets that was slow. It was the way I have been using eCabinets. The libraries really speed things up and I can still use eCabinets to draw anything in the world when needed which I couldn't do with most of the other software packages. My goal is to get bidding down to abut two hours per kitchen. The really detailed rendered drawings will take some more time but they are optional for people that accept the initial bid.
Kerry

DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Re:

Postby DanEpps » Wed, Aug 30 2006, 7:09AM

Kerry Fullington wrote:Frank,
That is exactly why I am going to the library type setup. I am trying to get the design and bid time down. I joined the Cabinet Maker Magazine "Webinar" about software a few months back (which was just an infomercial for KCDW) and realized that it wasn't eCabinets that was slow. It was the way I have been using eCabinets. The libraries really speed things up and I can still use eCabinets to draw anything in the world when needed which I couldn't do with most of the other software packages. My goal is to get bidding down to abut two hours per kitchen. The really detailed rendered drawings will take some more time but they are optional for people that accept the initial bid.
Kerry
Well said Kerry.

This is the concept most people miss when evaluating the various cabinet design software packages available. Some provide fairly extensive libraries of cabinets that you can "customize", that is you can change the material or color. Others provide fairly good CAD capibilities (as a separately priced option) but none provide the completely custom approach that eCabinets does.

When you add the Design Sharing library concept to the power and flexibility of eCabinets (with no separately priced options), you have an unbeatable combination.

Are there things you just can't do in eCabinets? Yes, but you can design CUSTOM cabinets and furniture. You can create a library of catalog cabinets if you choose that direction. You are in control and can choose how you want to use the software, not the other way around.

Mitch Cain
Guru Member
Company Name: M Cain Woodworking

Postby Mitch Cain » Wed, Aug 30 2006, 7:31AM

Well said Dan and Kerry...can't resist putting in my two cents...

We are all Technicians to a great degree in this business. We either love to craft or create, and thats probably the first reason we came into this business. To most, learning a software program is a hurdle, not something that we consider \"fun\" or even \"necessary\" so those types of folks are going to look for ways to get back to their comfort zone in the shop. If that means using an established library of cabinets instead of taking the time to learn how to make their own, then thats what they are going to do. Up until now, you didn't have that option with eCabs. I think that is the difference from what I have read on all the other forums when people start comparing software packages. \"You can get up and running faster with X\" ...but at the cost of the complete freedom you have with eCabinets.

The design sharing program was invented to help fill that gap. To help those who are new to computer automation, software design, and 3D presentation to hit the ground running with the program, as opposed to stopping the shop for a week or two to learn how to make a cabinet libary in the computer.

The added benefit is that now you can see what other creative minds are doing and leverage that in your own business....its wins all around!!
Black Bear Custom Cabinetry

Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Postby Rick Palechuk » Wed, Aug 30 2006, 10:16PM

What Kerry and Bill are offering make good financial sense as compared to whats out there in the software marketplace today. We recently had a salesman come by the shop trying to flog his \"wares\". No customization of the library could be done nor could you draw your own custom pieces.
software 4200
Yearly upgrades 800
Post to router 1200
Needless to say we said no
If you don't have the time to draw your own library, you buy from the team. Now that makes cents.

DanEpps
Wizard Member

Re:

Postby DanEpps » Thu, Aug 31 2006, 5:43AM

Rick Palechuk wrote:What Kerry and Bill are offering make good financial sense as compared to whats out there in the software marketplace today. We recently had a salesman come by the shop trying to flog his "wares". No customization of the library could be done nor could you draw your own custom pieces.
software 4200
Yearly upgrades 800
Post to router 1200
Needless to say we said no
If you don't have the time to draw your own library, you buy from the team. Now that makes cents.
Kerry's design library - $225.00
Bill's design library - $219.95
The ability to create custom designs with eCabinet Systems - PRICELESS

Mitch Cain
Guru Member
Company Name: M Cain Woodworking

Postby Mitch Cain » Thu, Aug 31 2006, 6:00AM

Boy, you just didn't see that one coming... :shock:
Black Bear Custom Cabinetry

Paige Pontrich

Re: Cabinet Library Info

Postby Paige Pontrich » Thu, Jun 18 2009, 10:50AM

I am very new to this program, and am having a very difficult time learning it on my own. I have tried to download some sample libraries and cabinets, but cant find them when I go back to the program to put them in my room! Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Paige

JohnLashuay
Guru Member
Company Name: Rylex Custom Cabinetry-Close

Postby JohnLashuay » Thu, Jun 18 2009, 12:27PM

Paige,

You must make sure that you download the cabinet libraries to the proper location. (C:\Program Files\Thermwood\eCabinet Systems\cabinets) This should place you libraries into the proper place so that when you go to insert a cabinet it should be there.

Have you done a search to see where the cabinet libraries were downloaded to?

-John
Rylex Custom Cabinetry & Closets
http://www.rylexonline.com
Thermwood CS 43

DanEpps
Wizard Member

Postby DanEpps » Thu, Jun 18 2009, 1:23PM

The files you download are self-extracting zip files and, when executed, will install into a separate library in the cabinets folder.

Return to “Design Sharing”