Cabinet with angled ends or tops

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Cabinet with angled ends or tops

Postby Mark McCallum » Fri, Apr 02 2021, 8:59AM

Its been asked a few times if its possible to angle sides or tops of cabinets.
I have to do a cabinet for an under stair situation and came up with a method by using stretchers.
Stretchers are a wonderful tool and with a bit of practice you can do some amazing things.
The main thing to think about is to make the cabinet bigger than you need so that you can get your lengthy stretchers in.
And to set a phantom stretcher to the front of the cabinet so that you can add the angled end stretcher in between.
The phantom front stretcher should be negatively set to the outside of the cabinet and then you can add doors with hinge holes as per normal.
I will try and attache the units as an assembly to illustrate what I mean.
The smaller unit, I did first so its a bit messier. You can put doors on both of them, but on the smaller one, the doors float off the front because of the inset on the shelves and ends. (i left a door on the big one as an example but they are both going to be open shelves, Its wire framed for the screen shot)
The mid shelf on the big top unit has the CNC joinery joint, I left it on just to show what I mean, which probably would not machine, or might machine a slot( so I deleted the joint, who needs hassles?) and then added back in part editor screw holes.
I used a cad program to work out a lot of the angles and to create the dxfs for the backs.
You could part edit the angle joint cuts onto the parts for the profile modeller, but for this job I am only going to use the panel saw.
For those interested in time spent in ecabs, It took me about an hour and a half per unit, partly because I was thinking it through, but mainly thats just how long it takes, With practice I think I could cut it down by 20 to 40 minutes, but its not something that we are doing everyday.
Using this method it would be quite feasible to do angled tops to cabinets as well.
Any questions feel free to ask.
Attachments
Under stairs.esa
(4.17 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
Angled cabinet.JPG
Angled cabinet with phantom.JPG

Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Re: Cabinet with angled ends or tops

Postby Mark McCallum » Sat, Apr 03 2021, 2:43AM

I should have mentioned in the post above, while you can add a vertical stretcher like a partition, as far as I can determine, you can only rotate it in one dimension, that being while looking at the front of the cabinet it behaves like a revolving door into a building.
The same situation with a partition like a shelf, it rotates in the wrong direction to achieve an angled end like in the cabinets above, where as what we need for this situation to angle the end, is to rotate it like a clock face as you look at it, thats why you have to put the phantom partition on the front.
Hope that makes sense.
Having said that there might be another way that I have missed to do it. :)

Return to “eCabinet Systems Software”