.2 back with .25 bit ??

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Kenneth Rychlik

.2 back with .25 bit ??

Post by Kenneth Rychlik »

Is there a work around for cutting a rabbet for a .2 thickness panel with a .25 bit for a cabinet back? I tried using a .3 thick back and a nagative .1 back offset, but the nest still only shows cutting the rabbet at .2

Thanks

Kenneth
Jim Carter
Company Name: Jim Carter Corp.

Re: .2 back with .25 bit ??

Post by Jim Carter »

I do not understand question.
jim@jimcartercorp.com
973-224-0221
Ringwood, New Jersey
Kenneth Rychlik

I am cutting cabinet parts with ecabs and want the bit to cut a rabbet by going off of the part by a little bit. By making a wider dado and hanging the dado off of the edge of the part, it would work, but the software won't allow it. I am running a shopbot with the ecab link.

KR
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

Kenneth,
If I understand what your question.

To accomplish this, I think that most would make the back in eCab's with .25 material, but load the .20 on the machine. You'd get your 1/4" rabbet that way. That is probably the easiest.

Another method would be take the components in the Part Editor and design the rabbet. More work.

Dennis
Kenneth Rychlik

Dennis, I am ok with cutting the back. My trouble is cutting the rabbet in the cabinet side for the back withought changing bits. This is a simple machine with no tool changer, so I want to cut everything with one bit. In the design software, I can make the back rabbet/dado work by making it larger (.3 dado) and then giving it a negative back offset (-.1) . I can get the .2 back rabbet that way on the design, but the ecab link for the shopbot won't cut it this way. It goes back to the smaller .2 back dado and tells me I don't have a small enough bit to cut the part.

KR
Jim Carter
Company Name: Jim Carter Corp.

Post by Jim Carter »

Could the problem be with a setting of 0 for the collar in the nesting? And the router not able to cut a .2 dado using a 2.5 bit because there is no room for the .5 to hang over the side panel back edge.
jim@jimcartercorp.com
973-224-0221
Ringwood, New Jersey
Kenneth Rychlik

I'm pretty sure it's a design issue with the software. It's not made to make cabinets the way I'm used to in another program I guess. All of my dado's ran past the edge of the cabinet to where I could have clean exits instead of having to clean up all the pieces manually.

I may have to settle for a different design, but wanted to see if what I wanted to do was possible.

Kenneth
George Davidson
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by George Davidson »

I am losted when it comes to CNC or the shopbot Would it help if you made your own tool in e-cabinets or made something in a Cad program :?:
Kenneth Rychlik

George,

Basically I want to have my machine cut down the edge of the part with some of the bit cutting into the edge of my part and some of the bit hanging off of the part. This is before the part is actually cut loose from the sheet. i can't get the program to do it so far, but I'm still trying.

Kenneth
Gary Puckett
Wizard Member
Company Name: The Woodworkery

Post by Gary Puckett »

Can you put in a program stop and do a manual tool change?

Gary
HP Pavilion
Vista home Premium 64bit S. pack 2
AMD Phenom-X4
9850 Quad-Core Processor
6.0GB/Go Memory
1 TB/To Hard Drive
Nividia GeForce 9800 GT
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Kenneth,

I used a 1/4" material in eCabinets for the back and gave it negative 1/16" back inset and the nest shows a 3/16" rabbet.
Would this work or does it create another problem?

Kerry
Kenneth Rychlik

Gary, I'm trying to get away without the manual tool change. I have run these parts in another program that allows this, but am trying to get ecabs to do it. In the other program I have to manually make each part and it's a pain to use.

Kerry, I did that with the negative offset but when nesting in the shopbot link it tells me I don't have a bit small enough to make the cut. I ran the part just to see and it does not cut the rabbet at all with a .25 bit in the machine. It won't let it hang over the edge. It reverts back to the .2 dado and ignores the thicker back I had designed it with.

In fact you can take the cabinet you designed and nest it. It will show the 3/16 rabbet.

I want it to show the 1/4 inch rabbet haning off of the edge of the part so it will let me cut it with my 1/4 inch bit.

Right now oversizing the cabinet and taking it to the table saw to trim it is the only solution I have come up with. That kind of defeats the purpose of having a cnc cut your parts though.

Thanks for your thoughts

Kenneth
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Gary,

Use your 3/16" material for the back
Give the back a negative 1/32" inset
In Construction Parameters for the back use a 1/32" fit clearance.
This should make the machine think it is going to cut a 1/4" dado to cut the clearances.
I think that you can play with the fit clearances and get this to cut.

You might try a negative 1/16" back inset and 1/16" clearances.

Kerry
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

Post by Daniel Vonderheide »

In ecabinets, place a .25 back on the cabinet and oversize the depth by .05. Take each side into the part editor and use the rectangle tool to create a pocket on the dado's outside that is .05 wide. Right click and then choose "cut pocket using geometric shape". Do not do a cut through. Cut to a depth that is .001 less than your material. If your sides are .75, cut to a depth of .749. I have tested this with the shopbot link and it seems to work correctly. I have attached the sample cabinet and twd file. I hope this helps.
Attachments
rabbit test.hsf
(222.02 KiB) Downloaded 253 times
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

Post by Daniel Vonderheide »

one file at a time..........
Attachments
rabbit test.zip
(114.18 KiB) Downloaded 240 times