Slides hole in hardware hole manager???

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Dale Wills
Company Name: none

Slides hole in hardware hole manager???

Post by Dale Wills »

Does e-Cabinets have the ability to automaticlly generate holes in the sides of drawer boxes for mounting slides. Is it a matter of creating a positive depth hole in the hardware hole editor the same way we create a negative depth hole to drill in cabinet ends?
Dale
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Re: Slides hole in hardware hole manager???

Post by Nick M Singer »

Not in this version of eCabs Dale, Perhaps in the elusive V6
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

I wonder if this is because the slide holes would be a flip operation for each of the drawer sides.
Matt Snowball

Post by Matt Snowball »

given the choice , and if v6 will allow drilling of drawer sides , I would rather use through-holes drilled from the 'inside' face of the drawer side, and avoid a flip-op . Wonder if this will be possible ?
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

The positive depth was originally intended to be the drawer side hole pattern. However, from a CNC viewpoint, it would seem impractical to me to have to flip every drawer side to drill the pattern, i.e., select the part, enter the SKU, locate the part on the table, activate vacuum, press the Start button, wait for the cuts to be made, deactivate vacuum, remove the part and then continue to the next drawer side. Seems to me that any manual method would be more expedient.

However, that being said. With the current version of eCabinets you can not use the Part Editor (PE) on a drawer box. That ability is slated for developement, so you'll be able to add whatever hole pattern you want, which would include thru-drilling from the inside of the box or implementing many other patterns. The Constraint Manager (CM) would also be functional to mandate the specific hole location so that the pattern would not change with the many possible size variations of drawer boxes.

Dennis
Dale Wills

Post by Dale Wills »

Nick says that this isn't possible in this version yet Dennis says
The positive depth was originally intended to be the drawer side hole pattern.
We construct our drawer boxes completely out of melamine chipboard and don't use the metal sided drawers at all. Why would the slide holes be a flip op? I see no reason why it needs to perform a flip op to do this.
Dale
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Dale,

You must build your drawers with all butt joints and planted on bottom.

With rabbeted or dovetail drawers with a groove for the bottom the up side of the sheet would recieve these cuts and that would be the inside of your drawers. to drill the slide holes you would need to flip each side to drill the holes on the oustside of the piece or drill through holes.

Kerry
Dale Wills

Post by Dale Wills »

Kerry,
What are you refering to when you say to build the drawer with all butt joins and planted on bottom? Will doing this allow for slide holes getting machined into the drawer sides?

Dale
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Dale,

If you are cutting rabbets, dovetails or a groove for the bottom, these would all be done from the inside of the drawer box. Unless you were cutting through holes from the inside then all drawer box sides would have to be flipped to drill the holes for the slides which are on the outside of the box.

I don't think there is a way to get the slide holes in the drawer box at this time.

Kerry
BenRatt

Post by BenRatt »

I know you used to be able to drill holes in the sides of the drawers using a positive value for the hole. I looking in the help section and it's changed since I last looked at it and doesn't say you can do this, but I guess it's worth a try. I worked around this issue by designing my standard drawer box as a cabinet. That way I can add in holes for drawer front adjusters, and notch the backs for tandem slides, ect. I also drill locator holes like you are talking about for the ball bearing slides. What I do is I use a 1/16" drill bit and do it as a thru cut so I don't have to do a flip op. Then I just use a dab of white caulk to fill the hole and no one ever knows it's there. If you don't want to do that you can program it so it will be a flip op if you design it as a cabinet.[attachment=0]dwr 2.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
dwr 2.jpg
dwr 2.jpg (60.85 KiB) Viewed 7353 times
Ben Ratterree
Blue Ridge Cabinetworks
Spartanburg, SC
http://www.blueridgecabs.com