Import Batch From Excel

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

leigh mills

Import Batch From Excel

Post by leigh mills »

Hi Guys,

We have been using the "Import Batch From Excel" for the whole of version 5. I came to use it for version 6 but it is unable to import the files, I think it is having trouble locating the directory.

If anybody has had the same trouble and has found out how to import Excel files could they let me know.

Cheers,

Leigh
BenRatt

Re: Import Batch From Excel

Post by BenRatt »

That's cool. I didn't know you could do that. Sorry I can't help you with the new version though, but thanks for teaching me something!
Ben Ratterree
Blue Ridge Cabinetworks
Spartanburg, SC
http://www.blueridgecabs.com
Ryan Callahan
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Ryan Callahan »

Leigh,

I really have not had a chance to look into this much, but I will take a guess as to what is happening.

Since your 5.2 cabinets have been copied into a new location, I am betting that your directory location in the batch is not correct. Under the Cabinets directory now, you have all of the old 5.2 cabinets under the directory name of "V5 Cabinets".

So to resolve this issue, you will need to change your import directory path in the excel sheet or manually move the cabinets back to the root Cabinet directory. I actually would recommend that you open each of your 5.2 seed cabinets, let the software perform the upgrade, and then save them under your new root directory as a V6 seed cabinet. This will save time in the future so that you do not have to wait on the upgrade every time you run your import batch.

The new Cabinet directory can be found in the following locations on your system:
  • XP - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Thermwood\eCabinet Systems\cabinets
    Vista/Windows 7 - C:\Users\Public\Documents\Thermwood\eCabinet Systems\Cabinets
Hope this solves your issue.
Ryan Callahan
Thermwood
Dell Precision T3400 / Core 2 Quad Q9400 / 2.4GHz / 8GB RAM / 256MB NVIDIA Quadro FX3450 / Windows 7 x64
leigh mills

Post by leigh mills »

Hi Ryan,

I have managed to work out what is going on, am I right in saying the "Import batch from Excel" button is directed to find the cabinet in the specified folder which is located in:-

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Thermwood\eCabinet Systems\Cabinets

I have tested this by moving the cabinets directory folder into the location indicated above and it worked. So for example I am trying to import the following and this is how my Excel spreadsheet looks:-

Name - 0001 Single Door Cupboard
Directory - Lloyds Bedroom Tall Units

My cabinets folder located in eCabinet Systems currently has 2 folders in it, these are "Standard Cabinets" and "V5 Cabinets". When trying to import my batch from excel it cant find the directory, but when I move my file from inside of "V5 Cabinets" to the "Cabinets", so that eCabinet Systems then has 3 folders in it, the batch from Excel then works.

This means I am unable to have sub folders and I have to move all my folders within the "V5 Cabinets" to the eCabinet Systems folder.

So at the moment the Import Batch From Excel is directed to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Thermwood\eCabinet Systems\Cabinets and then is finding the specified folder with the excel sheet. In order for the sub folder to work it would be better if we could specify the each folders location within the Excel sheet. An example is below:-

Name - 0001 Single Door Cupboard
Directory - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Thermwood\eCabinet Systems\Cabinets\V5 Cabinets\Lloyds Bedroom Tall Units

With a sub folder within Lloyds Bedroom Tall Units we could just change then change the directory within the excel sheet like so:-

Name - 2000 Single Panel Door A
Directory - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Thermwood\eCabinet Systems\Cabinets\V5 Cabinets\Lloyds Bedroom Tall Units\Lloyds Doors

Could you let me know what you think.

Thanks
leigh mills

Post by leigh mills »

Also could I just ask why 5.2 was always located in:-

C:\Program Files\Thermwood

and now the new Version 6 is located in:-

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Thermwood

Are files still working from both locations? From what I can see they are.

Thanks
Rick Deskins
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood

Post by Rick Deskins »

I think all you need to do is add to the directory field.

instead of

Lloyds Bedroom Tall Units

try putting

V5 Cabinets\Lloyds Bedroom Tall Units
Rick Deskins
eCabinet Systems Programmer
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM/ AMD FirePro V4900
leigh mills

Post by leigh mills »

Thats great Rick thanks a lot.
Ryan Callahan
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Ryan Callahan »

leigh mills wrote:Also could I just ask why 5.2 was always located in:-
C:\Program Files\Thermwood
and now the new Version 6 is located in:-
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Thermwood
Are files still working from both locations? From what I can see they are.
Leigh,

I see that rick answered you later question, but not the on above, so I will take a crack at it. Windows Vista and Windows 7 do not like to allow users direct access to the C:\Program Files directory for anything other than read. So, the CORE programs for eCabinets now reside in this directory.

The default user directory was moved to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Thermwood (in XP) and C:\Users\Public\Documents\Thermwood (in Vista/Windows 7). By placing these files here, any user on the machine has the ability to use the program and all of its libraries. You have the ability to change this directory location under Settings/Preferences if you wish.

I understand this is confusing, especially if you had eCabinetSystems 5 or before installed. In time, hopefully this will become easier to understand and then you will ask why it was ever the other way. So NO, the files are not really running from both directories. It appears that way because you copied your Version 5 data to the NEW user path.

I hope this helps answer your question.
Ryan Callahan
Thermwood
Dell Precision T3400 / Core 2 Quad Q9400 / 2.4GHz / 8GB RAM / 256MB NVIDIA Quadro FX3450 / Windows 7 x64