Needs more memory? V5 ran great...

Thanks, Jim
jim graham
Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re: v6 is slower on my computer

Post by Joe Dusel »

I only have 6 GB and it runs okay. 8)

Yeah, it is slower, and I have had the program actually cause and out of memory condition on a number of occasions. There are still a few issues to be resolved.

Joe
CFT411 http://www.cft411.com
Intel i7 920 @ 2.67GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA Geforce GT220 (1GB)
Rob Perry

Post by Rob Perry »

I've noticed it slower as well :(
Rob
Rob Perry

Post by Rob Perry »

ARGGGG !!!!

I've been working on a new project this morning and I am pulling my hair out...
It takes over 7 seconds when selecting a cabinet for the green hatch pattern to appear. I am spending 2 thirds of my time waiting for the computer to react to every command.
It ran great with version 5 but now its almost unusable on my system. I do not have the time to fart around with my computer ugrading etc.
Is it possible to revert back to version 5 ? I did open a couple other projects and re saving. I suppose reverting back to V5 would make those files unusable??
Rob
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Rob,

If you have converted a job to V6 and saved it then you will not be able to open that job in V5.

The first thing I would do is update the drivers on your Video card.
I know you said you didn't wasnt to mess with upgrades but I think that is where you are.

Kerry
Larry Epplin
Thermwood Team

Post by Larry Epplin »

Rob, try this. After loading your cabinet or assembly into the Cabinet Editor, click on the Display Cube tab in the Item Window. Then try to do your selecting with the cabinet.
jim graham

Post by jim graham »

Larry- After loading the cabinet, i clicked on the Display Cube tab in what i think is the Item Window, didnt help much if any, is still way slow to rotate, etc. The item window is where you select items to place, correct? (on the right side of the screen?)
jim graham
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Jim,

I have had a sharp decrease in performance also. (rotating a job in custom layout is painfully slow and jerky) Try updating your graphics card drivers. It hasn't helped on my machine but maybe you will have better results.

Kerry
jim graham

Post by jim graham »

thanks for the reply, is this issue being resolved in the software do you know??
jim graham
Larry Epplin
Thermwood Team

Post by Larry Epplin »

Yes Jim. We plan to work on improvements with performance. In reference to your question, yes, the Item Window is the area where you select items to place. The suggestion I posted was in reference to Rob's problem where selecting a cabinet was taking a long time. We found that when a directory of many items is open in the Item Window it can take a long time to refresh which is inadvertently happening when a cabinet selection is taking place. We are resolving this issue.

There are many statements on the forum about version 6 being slow. We try to find areas that may be performing poorly and correct them. General statements of the application being slow make it difficult for us to guarantee that an issue is resolved. The more details offered to us on a problem, the better chance we have at a correction. We hope that as improvements continue we can alleviate many users speed complaints.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Larry,

I think many of the performance complaints may be caused by problems discussed in THIS THREAD When these issues are resolved I think performance will be better.
I have also seen a performance slump with my Video Card but once again I don't know if this is an eCabinets problem or a problem with this specific card. I visited with Ryan at length about this and we both thought it was odd that NVidia had released 3 new drivers for my card since July and this card is about 4 years old. It sounds like it may be a problem with the card instead of eCabinets but how do we know?

Kerry
David Tuttle
Company Name: The Kings Woodwright

Post by David Tuttle »

OK, it is slower on my computer and I updated the video driver, don't know if that was the problem. I've gotten the knobs to work (Amroc never had the Hoops file), but once they are in it goes even slower. It just crashed when I was switching from a zoom in to wall elevation to pan out.

I had dropped in an object and needed to run the render to get the object to go to the "brown" state not the rendered state (I talked to Scott about this on the phone Thurs. or Friday).

Thats as specific as I can be, if it happens again I will try and document it better.
Chris B Campbell

Post by Chris B Campbell »

Same slower than V5.2 problem as others. What I found becomes obvious, you really need to plan out the building of the cabinet, making doors, drawers, drawer box's and any part editor cuts the very last thing you do... Watching the computer re-generating each side of every drawer box every time you make a change is truly painful!

Dell Dimension 4700 35Gb hard drive, used space is 12GB's
3GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce8800GT Super+ 1 GB
Dual monitor (This really works awesome with that new pop-out menu)
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Post by Neville Bastian »

Hi Larry,
I hope you don't take this the wrong way but most of us were thinking the performance was going to improve based on a comment made by Ken on how the version 6 was going back in March I think.
This is the quote.
"Gary, I just don't know. We had an estimate for spring, but in the past these things have slipped. It depends on what we run into. A lot of what we are doing touches much of the code so it depends a lot on how many problems pop up that we have to deal with. We are unwinding the store items from the software and they are much more pervasive than we first though. The plus side is that the overall performance of the software should improve, perhaps dramatically. I will try to keep you informed but I really can't give a probable release date quite yet."

If you can get Vrs 6 to perform better or find a better graphics card or better drivers that would be great. I know you are keen to improve the program speed and I was hoping for some magic hardware or Intel chip to do this by now but your latest system computer suggestion doesn't suggest that we can do much in that regard.

In real life kitchens comprise a lot of cabinets many with drawers to the max and either 5 piece doors or MDF routered which just make Ecabinets grunt to redraw.
Maybe the answer is Thermwood buy a Cray super computer and we can network into it to do our calculations. :lol:
Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
David Yurk

Post by David Yurk »

Also having issues. V5.2 worked fine, v6 has created problems.

Issues:
-Generally much slower. Placing a partition in Cabinet Editor took 17 sec.
-Trouble opening Saved Projects created in v6. Have to open Task Manager, click on eCabinets Not Responding, then close Task Manager to get the project to open.
-Power consumption. Battery life is less than 1/2 of what it was prior to v6.

Steps taken:
-Deleted unnecessary files and programs.
-Increased the allocation of virtual memory. No improvement with either step.

Specs:
-HP 8710p computer
-Windows XP Pro, SP2
-Intel Core 2 Duo T7100, 1.8 GHz
-1 GB RAM
-Graphics - NVIDIA NVS 320M, 512MB

To anyone working on this problem, I implore you to please bring any solutions out quickly. Getting designs/proposals out is killing me. I can't get out to the shop floor to do any income producing work. Any suggestions for interim solutions is appreciated. Thanks, David
David Yurk
Crockett's Cabinetry and Woodworking
HP8760w, i7-2640M 2.8GHz, nVidia Quadro 3000M, Windows 7 (64 bit), 8GB ram