HARDWARE NOT SHOWING UP

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Gary Puckett
Wizard Member
Company Name: The Woodworkery

HARDWARE NOT SHOWING UP

Post by Gary Puckett »

OK, all the hardware is in the main files, but none are showing up in the cabinet editor in the hardware object tab, or in the main define hardware tab how do I get them to show up?

Gary
HP Pavilion
Vista home Premium 64bit S. pack 2
AMD Phenom-X4
9850 Quad-Core Processor
6.0GB/Go Memory
1 TB/To Hard Drive
Nividia GeForce 9800 GT
Sean Jakob
Company Name: Sean Jakob Cabinets

Re: HARDWARE NOT SHOWING UP

Post by Sean Jakob »

That is an excellent question Gary.

I too have something similar occuring which I reported in build 1 and Ryan said that he checked it.

Now the problem is that the hardware categories do not show up in the item window AT ALL...........

The problem that I reported is as follows:

http://www.thermwood.com/forums/viewtop ... ory#p58198

Report this postReply with quote Defining Hardware Categories
by Sean Jakob » Wed, Feb 17 2010, 6:25AM

When I try to Define Hardware Categories, the system creates some odd looking subfolders are follows:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Thermwood\eCabinet Systems\hardware\user created\100C_6A02_400D_852C_BA3D
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Thermwood\eCabinet Systems\hardware\user created\326F_BD01_4FC1_9495_07E0
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Thermwood\eCabinet Systems\hardware\user created\651A_01D2_4241_8158_629F

Now when you are in the hardware catalogue editor the categories are listed as the names that I elected.

Then I create a new hardware part called ADJ-LEG and save it into a new category I just created.

After I try to select the new piece of hardware and associate it with a cabinet,two problems emerge:
a) The names of the new category are not displayed in the selection pane (see diagram)
b) The ADJ-LEG that I created can't be located

User Created Catergory Names are not Displayed
eCabs post error.jpg (31.02 KiB) Viewed 42 times

Any ideas anyone?Sean Jakob

Private messageE-mail Sean Jakob
Gary Puckett
Wizard Member
Company Name: The Woodworkery

Post by Gary Puckett »

Sean,

The only thing that will show up in the hardware object tab in the item window is a hsf file. So go to the software update tab and down load the pulls. After it has downloaded pick out a knob that has a hsf file with it give it a manufacture,distributor, part number ( the number that is for the knob you picked) apply it.

Now go to the cabinet editor select a cabinet, go to the hardware object tab and pulls should be there, click on pulls and an image of the knob you picked should show up.

Gary
HP Pavilion
Vista home Premium 64bit S. pack 2
AMD Phenom-X4
9850 Quad-Core Processor
6.0GB/Go Memory
1 TB/To Hard Drive
Nividia GeForce 9800 GT
Sean Jakob

Post by Sean Jakob »

Gary,

Thanks for the reply. I did have the handles, that wasn't a problem.

My problem was that i tried to create a User Created Category in the hardware database. I gave it a name. I created new hardware items within that category. Then when I start a job, open the item window, I get the following problem:

After I try to select the new piece of hardware and associate it (from the item window):
a) The names of the new categories are not displayed in the selection panes at all
b) Any hardware that I created under any of the User Defined Categories can't be selected because the User created categories aren't even displayed

(NOTE - V6.B1 displayed some weird looking folder names instead of the user created folder names I created, but did not show the hardware saved under the user created categories.
V6.B2 Does not display the User folders in the item window at all)

Sean
Sean Jakob

Post by Sean Jakob »

eCabinets Team

Is there any chance anyone could respond to my problem hereunder please

Sean
Ryan Callahan
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Ryan Callahan »

Sean,

Sorry for not responding sooner, somehow, this slipped below my review window.

Anyway, there is an issue with item not showing up in Build2 which should be fixed in the next release. The strange names that were showing up should have been the title of your user created tab.

As for things showing up in the Item Window, there must be at least an HSF geometry file associated to the User Created hardware. Without this file, the item will not show up since it cannot be displayed or rendered in the Assembly.

Hopefully I understand what you are asking and have helped answer your question on this TAB.
Ryan Callahan
Thermwood
Dell Precision T3400 / Core 2 Quad Q9400 / 2.4GHz / 8GB RAM / 256MB NVIDIA Quadro FX3450 / Windows 7 x64
Sean Jakob

Post by Sean Jakob »

Ryan
Thanks for the response, and it will be good to get the folder names appearing the way we create them.

The second thing that springs to mind as an issue is: you mentioned that you need to attach a HSF file to the hardware in order for the folders to appear at all. The problem is that I don't want them to be visual. I want to create categories of hardware, then add all sorts of hardware to those categories. Then take a cabinet into the CE and click on the hardware item from the list view. Then I want to select my user created folder and then I want to select some hardware from that folder.

Whilst it will be great to have a HSF creator type program and create thousands of 3D hsf files, the reality is that for now, I just want the cabinet and job buy lists, together with the job bid to include those items. As I said, visual is not important at this stage.

Obviously this can be done on the fly for a cabinet within a job via the "Cabinet Buy List", but I want to be able to save the cabinet to the library and those items still be in the cabinet & job buy lists as well as the bid after recalling the cabinet from the library into a new job etc.

Is there any thing that I am missing that might allow this? If not, can you please get this added into the program ASAP

Sean
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Sean,

Hardware Objects is for items where you want to display the item visually and associate that item to a cabinet.

To just get your hardware items associated to a cabinet for job costing and to include them in the bill of materials without showing the visually (via an .hsf file) you should just use the Cabinet Buy List.

Open a cabinet in the cab editor
double click the cabinet to select it
Open the cabinet buy list and add all your hardware
Save the cabinet and it will have the hardware items associated any time you use that cabinet.

Kerry
Sean Jakob

Post by Sean Jakob »

Hi Kerry

thank you for your reply.

I did also think about that and gave it a try prior to posting, however this did not recall the hardware along with the cabinet when it is later pulled from the library.

Do you think this is a bug Ryan should take a look at?

It is really important for me to be able to select all of the hardware bits and pieces that are associated with a cabinet so that when a the cabinet is recalled, I get a complete listing of all hardware required.

Sean
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Sean,

Make sure you are double clicking the cabinet to select it first then click on the Cabinet Buy List button and then make sure you are using the Add Items to Cabinet button to add your hardware, not the Add Items to assembly
The items added in this manner should save with the cabinet.

Kerry
Sean Jakob

Post by Sean Jakob »

Kerry
Your'e the man! Thank you.

Did not realise that there was an alternative UI when I double click the cabinet. thanks again it worked great.

Sean
Donald Thomson
Guru Member
Company Name: Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks

Post by Donald Thomson »

Another problem with hardware is that you can't delete it. I go into the CE, double click the cabinet and then go into Cabinet Buy list. I try to delete hardware and it simply ignores my request to delete it. It disappears, I go back to main and save the cabinet. Double click the cabinet again go into Cabinet Buy List and all the stuff I "deleted" is right back in the list again. :wall: :wall:

When I try to change quantities to a smaller amount, it adds the change quantity to the existing quantity thus increasing my part count. :wall:

I think there are major, major problems in the hardware area of this program. Makes it real difficult to get an accurate cabinet buy list let alone an accurate job buy list. Maybe I just design cabinets, forget the broken hardware part of the the program and just figure hardware costs outside eCabs. It certainly won't calculate correct inside eCabs.

I hope the next release fixes these kinds of problems....
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
http://www.dlwoodworks.com
Sean Jakob

Post by Sean Jakob »

Ryan
Could you take a look at this one.

I have attached the offending cabinet and the localstore file.

As you see from the inline image, the default hinge keeps dissappearing from the hinge item tab. I have tried everything I can think of to make it stick. I have highlighted the cabinet, highlighted the door, highlighted both doors, highlighted both the cabinet and the door, highlighted both the cabinet and both the doors, clicked on the button at the top of the item view and selected apply to selected parts, apply to cabinet, I have tried all of these options from the main screen and the door / drawer editor screen with the same result.

As soon as I select the hinge, then go to Cabinet Buy list to verify it's inclusion (I not that it is not in the cabinet buy list) then I return to the Hinge tab and find that the hinge is missing from the selection pane.

Can you help me add the following hinge to the LEFT HAND DOOR only (Qty 2):
077 660 (50), 1 073 371 (100) - Intermat 9956 - 165 Deg - 0 Crank - TH Fix

The Bifold hinge that is in the cabinet buy list already is associated with the right hand door and should remain in the cabinet buy list and continue to be association with the RH door.
The attachment eCab Hinge not sticking.jpg is no longer available
I have considered a work around by selecting the cabinet and simply adding 2 hinges to the cabinet, however I wanted to "do it properly" by associating it with the door so that deletion of the door at a later date will result in the deletion of those hinges.
Attachments
BC90LH.hsf
Offending cabinet
(1020.02 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
Despite selecting hinge multtple times, Selection pane keeps reverting to "Not Set"
Despite selecting hinge multtple times, Selection pane keeps reverting to "Not Set"
eCab Hinge not sticking.jpg (22.66 KiB) Viewed 10906 times
LocalStore.zip
local store zipped
(2.42 MiB) Downloaded 264 times
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Sean,

For the default hinge to show up on the Cabinet buy list you would need to take the cabinet into the door drawer editor. Select a hinge to be default in the item window.
Click on the door you want the hinges associated with
Click on the drop down menu in the item window by the selected hinge and choose
Apply to selected parts

I did this with you cabinet and the default hinge I selected was added to the buy list and the default hinge stuck in the item window in the door drawer front editor.

When you check the cabinet buy list in the main screen area of the cabinet editor be sure to select the cabinet by double clicking it and make sure there is a green frame around the cabinet or your associated items for that cabinet will not show up.

Kerry
Ryan Callahan
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Ryan Callahan »

Sean,

Upon first loading your cabinet, I was having to think you were crazy. What I saw was a hinge named "tbc" set as the default. So, I then closed and reloaded your cabinet. The second time I see what you are describing. I am not exactly sure why this is happening.

To see this yourself, close the cabinet, open Define Hardware->Hinges, and delete tbc. Now open your cabinet again, select YES to add tbc as a hinge, and then you will see that the hinge has a default setting. However, close and re-open the cabinet, and you are right back to where you started.

I am submitting this for review to be addressed in the next build.

Thanks.
Ryan Callahan
Thermwood
Dell Precision T3400 / Core 2 Quad Q9400 / 2.4GHz / 8GB RAM / 256MB NVIDIA Quadro FX3450 / Windows 7 x64