speed issues in build 2

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Kenneth Rychlik

speed issues in build 2

Post by Kenneth Rychlik »

For those of you that downloaded build 2 how did it do with the speed issues and bogging down your pc?

Kenneth
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Halls Edge Inc

Re: speed issues in build 2

Post by Josh Rayburn »

Initially speed seems to have improved significantly but I have not bogged it down with a big job yet.....
Hoping for the best!
:beer:
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Win7 Professional 64 Bit/Core2Duo E8400 3ghz/4 GB Ram/NVIDIA Quadro FX570
Pat McFadden

Post by Pat McFadden »

Sad to say, but it's nearly unusable for me. A few examples: It takes 10 seconds after clicking on something for the highlighting to appear. There is a long delay (from a few seconds to a minute otr more) for just about every transition within the cabinet editor. Rendering is painfully slow. I'm trying to get a proposal out for a small (8 linear ft/4 cabinets) project, and something that would normally take me less than an hour took me 4 hours. Granted, my system is closer to the minimum requirements than the recommended system, but it worked OK under 5.2.

Many other problems, including locking up, program "forgetting" wall associations, presentation rendering randomly switching to regular rendering, program terminating with no error message, etc.

We are not pleased.
Ryan Callahan
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Ryan Callahan »

Pat,

Sorry you are having this trouble, but I think that there must be something else at play this is hurting your performance this bad. While V6 is slightly slower than Version 5.2, it should in NO way be this much slower. So, I guess we need to do some exploring to see what might be going on.

My first thought here is that your system is running at near capacity. When performance has come to a crawl, are you by any chance running the processor at 100%. To see this, simply open TASK MANAGER and check out the Performance tab. If it is at 100%or even higher than 50%, then check the Processes tab and see if eCabinets.exe is the guilty process. This will at least tell what process is causing the high usage issue.

My second thought is that your system has run out of Physical RAM. When this happens, the computer will start using the Hard Disk as memory, and this is painfully slow. These numbers can bee seen in the TASK MANAGER as well under the Performance tab. Under Physical Memory, you will see what is actually installed. Compare that to the Memory listed above in the window. If the numbers are close in value, then Windows is most likely paging memory to the hard disk.

Of course there are a variety of issues that could be causing this slowness. If you are unable to determine what is going on, then please feel free to call me and I will help you determine what is going on with the system.

I hope this information is helpful, but if not, I will be glad to see what can be done.
Ryan Callahan
Thermwood
Dell Precision T3400 / Core 2 Quad Q9400 / 2.4GHz / 8GB RAM / 256MB NVIDIA Quadro FX3450 / Windows 7 x64
Pat McFadden

Post by Pat McFadden »

Thanks, Ryan.
My CPU usage is ranging from 1% - 60%. Physical memory usage is fairly static at 1GB out of 2GB total. My machine is a 2.6 GHz P4. Graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX 440. I just tried a few things with my small (4-cabinet) project. It took 1.5 minutes to open the file, and about the same time to render the presentation view. CPU and PF usage stayed within the quoted range during those operations. Some of the other issues don't seem to be as bad after a fresh start, lending credence to the memory leak theory someone else posted about.
Tom Nienow
Company Name: Nienow Woodwork

Post by Tom Nienow »

I too am experiencing slow response in v6b2. When associating a cab to a wall it takes about 40 seconds to be able to do anything else on the program. I can edit 1 cabinet and save in around the same amount of time, go to a second cabinet and the time goes to around 2-2 1/2 minutes, try a third and I can go out and get supplies and be back in time to do some editing, then send the cabinet back to the room and watch nothing happen, it actually takes about 7 minutes for the full process. It's quicker for me to shut down the program after doing one process and re-open it to do the next. My cpu usage during these times are 50 -54% and it shows up in the ECAb exe slot,. I am running windowsXP E7300@2.66GHz with 3Gb of RAM. I also am experiencing wall association forgetfulness in the program.
Ryan Callahan
Thermwood Team

Post by Ryan Callahan »

Pat,

I would love to have a chance to work with you on attempting to figure out what is going on with this. There was an issue with Build1 that resulted in large directories slowing the system down that may be related.

No matter what, it seems that if there is an issue here, I would very much like to figure out what is happening. So to insure we are on the same page, could you post your job so that I can look directly at what you are working with. If you do not wish to post for all to see, please eMail instead.

Tom, Feel free to do the same. I will work hard to figure this out in the mean time.
Ryan Callahan
Thermwood
Dell Precision T3400 / Core 2 Quad Q9400 / 2.4GHz / 8GB RAM / 256MB NVIDIA Quadro FX3450 / Windows 7 x64
Pat McFadden

Post by Pat McFadden »

Ryan,
I emailed the file. I'm running build 2.

Thanks,
Pat
Ryan Callahan
Thermwood Team

Post by Ryan Callahan »

Pat,

Thanks for the job. I am able to see your slowdown, but cannot yet identify the main issue. I have asked the programmers to review this issue and hope to have a solution soon.

Thanks.
Ryan Callahan
Thermwood
David Yurk

Post by David Yurk »

Ryan,

I am having the same issues as Pat. If you could post the solutions or work-arounds for these issues in this thread, it might also solve a lot of the problems I am having with speed, etc. I've just been invited to bid on a $25,000-30,000 kitchen for a new house that's already framed, so any time I'm able to save at the computer will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, David
David Yurk
Crockett's Cabinetry and Woodworking
HP8760w, i7-2640M 2.8GHz, nVidia Quadro 3000M, Windows 7 (64 bit), 8GB ram
Ryan Callahan
Thermwood Team

Post by Ryan Callahan »

David,

So far, I have not been able to get the major slowdown when working from scratch, so my guess is that there is a display object that is in the job that is causing the slowdown. If you have a job that is behaving this way as well, please post or send it to me so that I can compare. The simpler the room, the better for finding the issue. Complex rooms have a lot more data to wade through to find an error.

Good luck with your bid.
Ryan Callahan
Thermwood
Tom Nienow
Company Name: Nienow Woodwork

Post by Tom Nienow »

Ryan, attached is one of the jobs with slow down. So far any job I work on acts the same, the more you edit, the slower it gets
Attachments
kaiser water st unit 503.zip
(2.33 MiB) Downloaded 294 times
David Yurk

Post by David Yurk »

Ryan,

My experience is similar to Pat's. In jobs large or small, the more functions I perform the slower it gets. This is before adding any display objects. I can alleviate the problem by saving the job, closing eCabs, and re-opening the job, but that has its limits. This may or may not be pertinent, but before updating to V6 my battery life was about 2 hours, immediately after updating it's 1/2 hour. I don't know if it's update related or my if my battery just went bad. CPU usage doesn't look too high so I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the update. Thanks again for your efforts.

David
David Yurk
Crockett's Cabinetry and Woodworking
HP8760w, i7-2640M 2.8GHz, nVidia Quadro 3000M, Windows 7 (64 bit), 8GB ram