Default settings

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Justin Friesen

Default settings

Post by Justin Friesen »

In V6 where do I find the default settings. Did this get taken away or just moved to a different location. Also in the Door/Drawer Editor there is no longer a "Hardware Selection" button. If anyone can hlep on this. I want to change my drawer slides for my top drw and 2 pot drawers.
Justin
Tom Nienow
Company Name: Nienow Woodwork

Re: Default settings

Post by Tom Nienow »

There now is a cabinet buy list at the bottom of the options drop down, you have to enter all your hardware options to choose from
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Justin,

You set your defaults using the Item Window that pops out from the right side of the screen.
Open a Cabinet in the cabinet Editor
Open the Item Window
Select Hinges, Slides, etc.
You can also associate hole patterns here
defaults.jpg
defaults.jpg (89.44 KiB) Viewed 7487 times
Justin Friesen

Post by Justin Friesen »

Okay I got that far. What i was asking is that in order to have two different hole patterns in the same cabinet, do you now have to go out of Door/Drawer Editor to change the default? Or is there a way in the Door/Drawer Editor to change the default?
Justin
Ryan Callahan
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Ryan Callahan »

Justin,

I think what you are trying to do is simple. To get 2 different patterns on a cabinet, simply set your default, add the door/drawer with these settings, then change the default and add another item. Both patterns at this point will be applied to the cabinet.

Hopefully this is what you are trying and asking if can be done. There is no need to leave the Door/Drawer editor.
Ryan Callahan
Thermwood
Dell Precision T3400 / Core 2 Quad Q9400 / 2.4GHz / 8GB RAM / 256MB NVIDIA Quadro FX3450 / Windows 7 x64
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Halls Edge Inc

Post by Josh Rayburn »

In addition to Ryan's post, which is certainly correct:
You can also select a drawer or drawers in the main cabinet editor, then change the default, then you will get a handy dandy dialog, which will ask you if you'd like to apply the default to the selected part / parts.
I find this handy for modifying something that's already placed since I don't have to go to the door and drawer editor, then back to main, and wait for the rebuild. It's also handy as I can check in Main to see if the hole pattern is exactly what I was expecting via exploding, wireframing, etc.
Hope this is helpful also,
jnr
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Win7 Professional 64 Bit/Core2Duo E8400 3ghz/4 GB Ram/NVIDIA Quadro FX570
Justin Friesen

Post by Justin Friesen »

Yes. Thank you Ryan and Josh, that is what I wanted to do. I just didn't see the tab on the left in the Door/Drawer Editor where I can change my defaults. I just updated to version 6 so I am still not used to that new tab. Also thank you Josh, that little is very helpflu, it will definitel speed up the drawing time. Thanks again for your help.
Justin
Sean Jakob
Company Name: Sean Jakob Cabinets

Post by Sean Jakob »

Kerry & Ryan

I have a question. I noted in Kerry's earlier post that his inline image showed a hinge and the associated hole pattern on the left and the hinge mount with it's associated hole pattern on the right. I noticed that both of the patterns are exectly the same.

Now I have NOT tried this, it is purely a theory and a question. With so many complaints about speed etc would it not be more appropriate to apply a pattern to the hinge which purely drills holes into the back of the door, then apply a DIFFERENT pattern to drill only the mount holes into the carcase (or alternately and probably more likely, simply apply 1 pattern only which drills both the door for the hinge cup etc and the carcase for the mount, then leave the mount pattern blank).

The logical side of me sees that if you apply the same pattern to both the hinge and the mount, then this would be asking the program to try to apply the same pattern twice, ie twice the work. I'd be pretty sure that the eCabinets code doesn't check to see if they are the same pattern and then jump to the next part of the program. I would assume instead that the code would simply process one pattern after the other, and in the case where then same pattern is applied to both the hinge and the mount, then this is simply telling eCabinets to do the same thing twice. I don't imagine this would not be a good thing at any time, yet alone where the program is experiencing speed issues in the first place.

Now this is only a hunch due to the fact that I have seen measurable performace gains by using a library without any operations on any of the cabinets versus the identical library chock full of operations.

Could Kerry or Ryan please confirm or deny this theory.

Sean
Justin Friesen

Post by Justin Friesen »

Where do you find the pictures to associate with the hardware products?
Justin
Sean Jakob
Company Name: Sean Jakob Cabinets

Post by Sean Jakob »

Justin, they could be anywhere, but I think that the new version's default location is:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Thermwood\eCabinet Systems\hardware

Sean