Draw Box Problems

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Gary Campbell
Guru Member
Company Name: ShopBot Tools Inc

Draw Box Problems

Post by Gary Campbell »

The CNC cut plywood draw box file below has been designed as an inexpensive replacement for solid wood. It was also designed with joinery that eliminates FlipOps. I have cut a couple dozen with V6b1. Today I installed this box in a cabinet and received this nest:
Draw Nest.PNG
Draw Nest.PNG (13.43 KiB) Viewed 4030 times
Any ideas? Thanks if you have the time to look it over.
Horizon CNC Half Lap Draw HD.hsf
(40.02 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
Gary Campbell
ShopBot Tools Production Support

ShopBot (eCabinets) Link Training & Support
Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re: Draw Box Problems

Post by Joe Dusel »

Ideas? Nope. But you can probably get it to mill up by reducing the Blind Dado Tenon Settings to 50% for the Front and Back Construction Parameters. When I did that it appears like it would work (based on the nesting), but I don't have a machine to check it on. I am guessing that the software did not like the idea of running the 1/4" dado through the tenon.

Joe
CFT411 http://www.cft411.com
Intel i7 920 @ 2.67GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA Geforce GT220 (1GB)
Gary Campbell
Guru Member

Post by Gary Campbell »

Joe....
Thanks for the reply. You are correct. It is very unlikely in the eCabs world that cut geometry can overlap. Out here in the real world we realize that an operator may need that function occasianally. I was able to nest and cut these with exactly the same geometry shown by simply putting the PE cuts in when the joinery specs were set at all butt joints. I then changed the bottoms to full dado and the front and back to blind dado. Nested and cut 2.5 sheets full of that drawer box. I have cut dozens of this box (as a cabinet) in V5 and about 6 or 8 with this same file with V6. The odd nest showed up today.

There is either a major problem with the PE and CM or there is a chapter on what they can and can not do missing in the Guide. I am sincerely hoping that its in the PE & CM and the programming crew find it soon as any cabinet I have with cuts and constraints crashes eCabs. I am trying very hard not to have to reinstall V5.
Gary Campbell

Gary Campbell
Guru Member

Post by Gary Campbell »

An update to this post. I cut these drawers today, but instead of using the DBE and applying the overlapping dados to drawers, they were applied to the Std Upper Frameless. There is obviously something different in the 2 editors. I would guess something wrong in the DBE, but am not sure.

The CE allowed the overlapping dados at different depths. The DBE does not. In order to get the constraints to "take" in the DBE, they had to be applied when the box was constructed using butt joints. This is not the case with the CE. The DBE moved the Overlapped Dado to the other side of the part, which is totally wrong. This is an error.
Gary Campbell

adamwojcik

Post by adamwojcik »

I have different problem with drawer box (after last update), the problem is with tenon thickness.
On E cab everything looks good but once I cut the drawer the tenon is to thick for back and front part ( should be 0.260 and it is 0.330 ) , for bottom part is to thin (should be 0.254 it is 0.218 ) . Material thickness for box is 0.592" and 0.472" for bottom , construction settings for box is 44% of thickness and 54% of thickness for Bottom . For me looks like the number switch their place. Math= 0.592 x 44% = 0.260 ( that should be tenon but the tenon is 0.330) 0.260 + 0.330 = 0.592 and exact the same issue with bottom
thickness = 0.472 x 54% = 0.254 ( that should be tenon, but the tenon is 0.218 ) 0.254 + 0.218 = 0.472"
Dado on Left and Right side are correct.
Could you fix that ASAP , please?
Please note that I cut the same drawer before last update many times , and everything works.

Thanks

Adam
Attachments
Medical Office drwrs1.esj
(1.18 MiB) Downloaded 260 times
Adam
D&M Woodworking Inc.