Drawer Slide Front Mounting Hole - Incorrect Orientation

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Sean Jakob
Company Name: Sean Jakob Cabinets

Re: Drawer Slide Front Mounting Hole - Incorrect Orientation

Post by Sean Jakob »

See what I mean Drawer box Editor is awesome, Just need some holes in the back of the drawer fronts
check this out
check this out
Drawer Box.jpg (15.52 KiB) Viewed 10413 times
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Post by Neville Bastian »

Sean, That is awesome and you even edgeband the drawer bottom at the front. All we need is a little plate where the adjustment screws are with "Sean's cabinets" :) Ah that's right, no printing can be done within Ecabinets. :cry:
So Sean why don't you add your location to your personal info. Its good to visualise where everyone lives.

Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Rick Deskins
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood

Post by Rick Deskins »

Neville Bastian wrote:Ah that's right, no printing can be done within Ecabinets. :cry:
What are you referring too?
Rick Deskins
eCabinet Systems Programmer
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM/ AMD FirePro V4900
Bryan J Tanner
Guru Member
Company Name: Decor Designz

Post by Bryan J Tanner »

Sean Jakob wrote:So Bryan, would you benefit from holes being drilled into the bacl of the drawer fronts for metal sided drawer front fixing clips?
Sorry Sean wasn't trying to hijack the thread.

To be honest i cut all my product on a saw and then drill with a system 32 Mulitbore machine. Therefore I don't actually add hardware drillings.

If I was to have a CNC or want to outsource my work, the day will come for one of these options, then yes things like that would sway my decision as to what software/machine I used.

ecabinets is fantastic software!!!!! Looking around it really in quite unique for the faceframe style kitchens that seem to be very popular over in the states, and why not, they are beautiful.

Here in NZ and I believe Australia, Melamine carcasses, Melamine/Thermoformed/Lacquer Doors, and the latest hardware are the norm.

I see just a few additions to eCabinets, to suit these styles, and improvements to the LDE (Auto dimensioning??(but that's another thread)) being able to really boost the attractiveness of a ecabs/thermwood CNC package.

So I guess the short answer really is yes drilling holes in the back of drawer front is essential. Just like it is with hinges.
HP Pavilion DV6
2.27 gigahertz Intel Core i5 M 430
3064 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M
Windows 7 Home Premium
Bryan J Tanner
Guru Member
Company Name: Decor Designz

Post by Bryan J Tanner »

Sean Jakob wrote:See what I mean Drawer box Editor is awesome, Just need some holes in the back of the drawer fronts

Drawer Box.jpg
Thats awesome, how did you do that? I assume profile cuts?
HP Pavilion DV6
2.27 gigahertz Intel Core i5 M 430
3064 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M
Windows 7 Home Premium
Sean Jakob

Post by Sean Jakob »

Bryan
- I Created a sheet material called DONT cut - which was approx 30mm thick
- used that material for the drawer box sides
- Ensured that the insets of the left and right side were set so as to attain the side size the overall width, length and height required to totally encompanss the entire part (including the gallery rail)
- created a Tool (weird shape
- Drew a contour line along one edge (Stopping 16mm short of the end of the side)
- applied the profile cut to that contour line
Neville Bastian
Guru Member

Hi Rick,
What I meant with no writing on parts was that Seans drawer illustration could not have a cover where the lateral adjust is made with a name tag on it such as Blum or Hettich. As you know we can't router the alphabet or numbers onto parts. Unless.. there is a beta version lurking in the dungeons of Thermwood that only the inner circle know about? Come on Rick, spill the beans. Is this ability to write things on parts high up the to do list? I'd kill for the ability to put my business logo on certain cabinet parts instead of relying on staff adhering a stick on label.

Hey this post is really gone the way of a tourist with a faulty gps.

Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
jason galbraith
Company Name: Eastcoast Ultimate

Post by jason galbraith »

Hey this post is really gone the way of a tourist with a faulty gps
And that is dearly we what we are trying to avoid, please stay on topic (no offence Neville) so that the team at Ecabs don't write this thread off and ignore it.

So Rick, what's the story with draw front holes? Do you see this as a situation that could use attention? Maybe get one of your team to aquire some (any brand it's irrelevent) and try setting out draws the way we have to and see what you think.

regards

Jason
Core i7-2600 @ 3.70Ghz - 8 GB ram - Win 7 Ultimate 64bit - 2 x 24" ASUS monitors - Nvidia 600 Quadro 1GB graphics
www.eastcoastultimate.com.au
Rick Deskins
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood

Post by Rick Deskins »

No new features are planned for the next release. Only bug fixes and optimization.

The drawer front holes, as well as other slide hole/mount pattern types, will be looked at in the future. No time table on this. We still got to get what we have fine tuned and running as solid as V5.2 did.
Rick Deskins
eCabinet Systems Programmer
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM/ AMD FirePro V4900
Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Joe Dusel »

I also agree that having the holes for the back of the drawer fronts would be a great idea. Put that in with having slide holes with no drawer box for those who outsource drawers (like dovetailed solid wood) and you have a winner. I also think the idea of machining dovetailed drawers from plywood on the CNC seems like a fairly lame idea.

Joe
CFT411 http://www.cft411.com
Intel i7 920 @ 2.67GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA Geforce GT220 (1GB)
Sean Jakob

Post by Sean Jakob »

Rick

Personally I think believer this could be a fix rather than a new feature. After all as the name of this thread implies, the holes are aleady coming through from the hole pattern (as per the image in my original post). It is just that they are in the wrong orientation and maybe their reference point needs to be from inside of carcase.

So given that this thread seems to have generated more interest than any other thread that I can find can't you guys please consider this a fix rather than a new feature so we can have it next build rather than most likely some time into the never never.

Please its only a matter of opinion as to its category be that new feature or fix. I'm pretty certain that every person in the world that uses this program and works with metal draw systems would be estatic. Hell I wouldn't mind betting like me that they would all be prepared to chip in a couple of bucks for a FIX like that,
jason galbraith
Company Name: Eastcoast Ultimate

Post by jason galbraith »

Hell I wouldn't mind betting like me that they would all be prepared to chip in a couple of bucks for a FIX like that
I'll buy you a lot of beer. Very good beer. You would be impressed.
Core i7-2600 @ 3.70Ghz - 8 GB ram - Win 7 Ultimate 64bit - 2 x 24" ASUS monitors - Nvidia 600 Quadro 1GB graphics
www.eastcoastultimate.com.au
Neville Bastian
Guru Member

If we are in wish list mode could we not also have a provision for support brackets for wide pot drawers. With Harn they supply a L shaped bracket that pulls the bottom up tight to the drawer front.I guess the other brands have a similar fitting. To me the advantage would be a hole drilled as a reminder but at the correct height plus the part would show up in my material buy list. As a suggestion could you put the number of brackets in their manually so a narrow drawer bank would be 0 and a 900mm wide might be 2.
The handle holes are drilling on drawers aren't they? If not could this also be included.
The other one is the edging happening on the back of drawer. This part info on the label with no edging data is a real pain and time waster. Unless the edger person is switched on this part gets missed by new staff.
I could mention the stretcher has no edging but I'm scared Jason will tell me off again. :lol:
Thanks

Neville
Neville Australia
Gary Campbell
Guru Member
Company Name: ShopBot Tools Inc

Post by Gary Campbell »

An item that has not been mentioned, but is related to this thread would be to be able to spec a "no cut" possibly wireframe drawbox that would have a toggled visibility. Cut and Buy lists would have proper sizing for those who outsource or build in house on non CNC equipment. Hole patterns could be applied and hardware associated. Hopefully few resources would be used when or if display is needed. Possibly a back and/or bottom could be added for metal systems.
Gary Campbell
ShopBot Tools Production Support

ShopBot (eCabinets) Link Training & Support
Sean Jakob

Post by Sean Jakob »

Anyone interested in this topic, please take the time to fill out the poll at this thread http://www.thermwood.com/forums/viewtop ... 27&start=0