Copy and Paste of a cabinet not working

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Donald Thomson
Guru Member
Company Name: Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks

Copy and Paste of a cabinet not working

Post by Donald Thomson »

The help file indicates I should be able to copy and paste a cabinet using either the selections from the Edit menu or using CTRL-C to copy and CTRL-V to paste. For some reason, I am unable to copy and paste a cabinet in a custom room layout. Is there a setting somewhere that needs to be turned on to get this feature to work?
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
http://www.dlwoodworks.com
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Re: Copy and Paste of a cabinet not working

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Don,

You can copy and paste a cabinet in the Cabinet editor but I don't think it works in custom layout.
Donald Thomson
Guru Member

Post by Donald Thomson »

Interesting. I would think custom room layout is where copy and paste would be the most useful. I can't think of a use for copy and paste while in the CE. Oh well.....

Thanks Kerry!
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Don,

Maybe it should work in custom layout but I just tried it in V5 and it didn't work there either.

Kerry
Donald Thomson
Guru Member

Post by Donald Thomson »

Interesting....

Thanks Kerry.
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

Copy and paste only works in the Cabinet Editor. You can use it to make assemblies. For example, a three unit entertainment center can be created by copying and pasting the same cabinet multiple times. Then edit each cabinet to create the desired units.

When a base or upper cabinet is installed in Custom Layout you can duplicate left or right (which is copy), otherwise you need to select the cabinet from the library in the Item Window. Also, when you're installing cabinets by default it lets you install the same cabinet over and over until either you select a different cabinet or press the ESC key to exit the placement mode.

Another approach or alternate to copy and paste in Custom Layout would be to go ahead and place some extra cabinets in the room anywhere. You can use the Move-in-Wireframe mechanism to relocate a cabinet to a wall. So I'm assuming that you may have a situation that you're placing a 30" cabinet, then next to it a 24" cabinet and then you need another 30" cabinet. So if you place the first 30" on the wall where you need it, then place a second one on the floor somewhere, then select a 24" and place it. ESC, the select the random 30" cabinet on the floor, click on Move-in-Wireframe and install that cabinet.

Dennis
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Dennis,

Duplicate right or left should be a copy to the right or left but instead it works like the autofill function, it creates multiple copies of the cabinet to the right or left instead of just one.

Kerry
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

I'm sorry. That is correct, left that part out. It is more like an autofill towards the right or left.

Dennis
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Dennis,

What are your thoughts on that. I think that duplicate left or right should only place one copy of the cabinet to the left or right. If you want to fill a wall use auto fill.

Kerry
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

Kerry,
It would possibly make sense to have an option on the right-click menu to Duplicate Left One, Right One or Left Fill, Right Fill. For me, autofilling a room doesn't make a lot of sense. After all, what I hear most of the time is we do "custom". So I think it surely can't be too custom if all the boxes are the same. Plus to make it custom then you have to go back and edit each box. Why not make a library, then pick and choose from your "custom" library. That's my thoughts, but there a lot of people that use and want it that way. Everyone processes differently. If I had to deal with kitchen design in a production environment, it's possible I'd have a different take on this.

Dennis
Sean Jakob
Company Name: Sean Jakob Cabinets

Post by Sean Jakob »

In my previous employments I have had the opportunity to use a variety of software programs such as Kitchen Builder, Cabinet Vision, Cabinetware, Detailer, Cabinet Builder.

I consider the Australian market to be 85% custom, and I have never used the "Auto Fill" function on any of the above mentioned systems, however the Copy cabinet feature is something that I have always used very regularly.

In kitchen design, although you might want things to be custom, so often things are symmetrical or duplicated elsewhere in a room.

For example, I might have a customer who says that they want a display cabinet on either side of the rangehood (actually more often it is me the designer who says that this would look the best). I place the rangehood, then place a cabinet on one side of the hood. i then take it into the cabinet editor, make the changes, then return to the room. Rather than having to save the cabinet to the library, then drag it from the library to the other side of the rangehood, it sure would be a lot quicker and easier to right click and copy a cabinet. This is especially true in a custom environment, I mean after all, we don't want to clutter up our libraries with cabinets we are likely never to use ever again.

Another scenario is that as a designer many times one tends to concentrate the placement of items on one wall at a time. Later on in the design we find that we need to a cabinet that we had placed or placed and edited from one wall to another. Sometimes we do this simply to create a space of the same size as something we have previosuly placed. In all of these scenarios, a right click and copy feature would be a heck of a lot more efficient than dragging things from the library each time.
Dan Calvert
Company Name: Calvert Custom Cabinetry

Post by Dan Calvert »

You can use the copy paste feature in Custom Layout on items such as crown and display items. The only problem I see is it will paste the item on top of the original so you have to zoom in close to see that the two items are on top of each other.
Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Post by Mark McCallum »

Yes I was looking for the copy button in the Custom Layout the other week.
But to come back to what Sean was saying.
I might have a customer who says that they want a display cabinet on either side of the range hood (actually more often it is me the designer who says that this would look the best).
This is the flip or perhaps mirroring button I was also looking for.
If it is just a copy and paste button, I think you still have to go back into the Custom Editor and change the doors and handles to the opposite side (for single door units). Which is no real big deal, but if you are looking at streamlining and user friendliness this is one of the features I would add :D .

The other uses I can think of are left and right hand corner units with mirrored doors or end sizes in the corners.
This is a Cnr unit with different size ends but often asymetricl  doors are used
This is a Cnr unit with different size ends but often asymetricl doors are used
400x300 end.jpg (37.63 KiB) Viewed 8620 times

Blind corner units, (saves you working out sizes of reveals and if you have added panels and fills to turn it into an assembly it saves you heaps of time.
This is an assembly with 3 parts, So in the cab editor you have a few &quot;Align to zeros&quot; and some part rotations. A copy/mirror would alsobe very useful when I need it again.<br />Resizing ends or widths for this is a pain, but thats an other post. LOL (Or I will find another layer to ecabs that I havent discovered yet)
This is an assembly with 3 parts, So in the cab editor you have a few "Align to zeros" and some part rotations. A copy/mirror would alsobe very useful when I need it again.
Resizing ends or widths for this is a pain, but thats an other post. LOL (Or I will find another layer to ecabs that I havent discovered yet)
Blind cnr.jpg (32.07 KiB) Viewed 8620 times

And quite a lot of entertainment units are mirrored around the screen.
This one has symetrical part editor cutouts in the end units. A copy/mirror would have been very useful.<br />(While I don’t have a machine, I am evaluating the practicalities and time savings  that I would get if I were to purchase one.)
This one has symetrical part editor cutouts in the end units. A copy/mirror would have been very useful.
(While I don’t have a machine, I am evaluating the practicalities and time savings that I would get if I were to purchase one.)
Viki Danny3.jpg (80.52 KiB) Viewed 8620 times
A simple highlight of 2,4 or more cabinets and mirror left and right would have saved heaps of time on the above job :)

Left and right open shelf units or cabinets left and right of windows.

These are some of the times Copy and mirror buttons would have been very useful on actual jobs for me, I,m sure that many more examples could be found by other users.

I think if there were Copy and mirror buttons they would become quite indispensible. :)