Hey, howcum.......

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Tim Massa

Hey, howcum.......

Post by Tim Massa »

O.K.,

This may not be a good time to bring this subject up while everybody is wrapping their head around V6 but maybe, as long as Thermwood is in there wrenching on it, would it be a good idea to have the tenon thickness a direct value input? Maybe I'm missing something but would it be more helpful to make that construction setting say 3/8" or .375" than it is to figure out what % of my undersized ply or oversized Melamime PB sheets are that will equal .375 or 3/8? I'm used to thinking in terms of what bits I have and what they are mic'ed out to. This might help to create more efficient toolpathing. Has anyone experienced going under a bit size for a mortise pocket cut so the machine has to use the next smallest bit in order to create that pocket cut? Anyone gone under .25"?

What happens to those oddball %'s of material thickness % when you change the .twd material thickness? I have spoken with users who don't see any reason why it shouldn't be a direct value input but perhaps there are shops that would like it the way it is? I personally have never been asked to take a bunch of rough sawn boards and plane them down to 47%. Nor have I ever worked in a shop that has the drawings calling out joint details in %'s. Just wondering...

Tim
Ryan Callahan
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Re: Ability to hard set tennons

Post by Ryan Callahan »

Tim,

This might make a nice future option for the program. Perhaps more discussion on this might be warranted. For now, I will add this to the wish list for new features.

Anyone else care to comment?
Ryan Callahan
Thermwood
Dell Precision T3400 / Core 2 Quad Q9400 / 2.4GHz / 8GB RAM / 256MB NVIDIA Quadro FX3450 / Windows 7 x64
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Halls Edge Inc

Re: Hey, howcum.......

Post by Josh Rayburn »

As long as I can still do a "100% thickness blind dado" then I'm ALL FOR IT man.
I would love that option. Well written, Tim.
jnr
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Win7 Professional 64 Bit/Core2Duo E8400 3ghz/4 GB Ram/NVIDIA Quadro FX570
Gary Campbell
Guru Member
Company Name: ShopBot Tools Inc

Re: Hey, howcum.......

Post by Gary Campbell »

I would vote for both... fixed width and depth, and of course the 100% width.(perhaps as a checkbox?)

The only other thing I have run into has been the need to put a 1/4" deep blind dado into the faceframe (spec), but not wanting to cut that deep into a 12mm left or right end. Top & deck dado parameters are global for the part.

To meet tooling criteria, the set width and depth are far more important. I will be happy to see this on a list for the future.
Gary Campbell
ShopBot Tools Production Support

ShopBot (eCabinets) Link Training & Support