just about given up with ecabs

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

John Powell

just about given up with ecabs

Post by John Powell »

Not having a good day at all. Lost count of faults I've encountered today. Eventually found my lost tools,and previous work, tried
changing materials on one cab from 19mm veneer to 18mm painted mdf (both in my sheet stock)ecabs told me I couldn't I had to use same thickness. with my arrow pointer flickering all around the screen i managed to create a new drawer,this had to have 12mm rebates on each end of the drawer sides. I have struggled to this with a 13mm cutter. (tool comp) so I decided to make my own 24mm cutter. When I tried to use this ecabs told me it was closing down tool manager. Also when I tried to apply the constraints to the rebates ecabs told me I couldn't put dimensions between the nodes selected.
Feel I've wasted the best part of a day. Can any help me out?
Nearly is not enough
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Re: just about given up with ecabs

Post by Kerry Fullington »

John,

I will have to think about the material thickness problem a bit. I think it is just how you are going about it. The same goes for the rebates on your drawers, you won't need to do that using a special tool, it can be done in construction settings.
In the drawer box designer, click on the question mark and read the help files.

You can email me kerry@kerryfullington.com with specific questions.

Kerry
Rick Deskins
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood

Post by Rick Deskins »

Please post example cabinets you are working with, and post steps for each operation that you are having trouble with. We (Thermwood) as well as forum users will try to help find a solution to your troubles. Generally statements about "I can't do this" or "it wont do this" does not help a lot because sometimes there are several ways to accomplish the same results. What you are experiencing could be a bug or just user error. eCabinet Systems is a large and complex piece of software. There is online training availiable if you do not feel that your eCabinet skills are where they need to be.

http://www.ecabinetsystems.com/ecabinet ... aining.htm

Also, since you install V6, have you updated your video card driver from Nvidia or ATI?
Rick Deskins
eCabinet Systems Programmer
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM/ AMD FirePro V4900
John Powell

Post by John Powell »

Thanks again for your help, Kerry and Rick. Sorry for the tone of my post, i was just so frustrated.
For a start, No I have not updated my video card driver, sorry. I will try and post the cabinet I was
working on when i had the thickness problem, i think i may have a go at the drawer box rebate problem
myself. I think i may invest in the online training also.
john.
sample cabinet for chris.esj
see below
(12.02 KiB) Downloaded 251 times
below
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Hi John,

Your job would not open for me. (I don't know what the problem might be)
Maybe Rick will have better luck.

Kerry
Rick Deskins
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood

Post by Rick Deskins »

Did the whole job upload correctly? 12.02KB is awful small for a job file. What is the size of the job on your pc? You might try zipping up the file first before posting it.
Rick Deskins
eCabinet Systems Programmer
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM/ AMD FirePro V4900
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

I think my question is was this a job file or was it supposed to be a cabinet with the drawer problem you were asking about. If it is supposed to be the cabinet, you saved it by using the wrong icon. The icon for saving the cabinet is the blue diskette. Don't use the diskette on the first task bar or the File>Save Job options.

Dennis
John Powell

Post by John Powell »

Sorry could someone please explain step by step how to post a job (cabinet)cant seem to do it.
thanks. John.
Nearly is not enough
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

John,
You did post a job. That is the .esj file. My question was with regards to the your statement about cabinet drawers. I'm thinking that if you are having a problem with cabinet drawers you should be posting the cabinet file, not the job file. The cabinet files are located in your sub-directory under a directory named cabinets. The file you would be looking for is a .hsf file. There is also a .jpg file, but it is not needed and is only used for the image tile when you select the cabinet.

If your problem does indeed lie within the job file, then disregard my posting and I apologize for causing additional confusion on this issue.

Dennis
John Powell

Post by John Powell »

rebated mdf Drawer.hsf
(28.02 KiB) Downloaded 258 times
This is the drawer I have a problem with. I made the three 12mm x 8mm rebates in the drawer sides
with a 13 mm straight cutter i had created months ago. I found the tool comp a bit confusing so
decided to create a 24 mm dia cutter to avoid the tool comp problem. I had no problem
creating the tool, and it saved with all my others. When i selected the tool to cut the rebate
a dialog box came up stating " closing tool selection dialog". dont know what causes this.Also
i took the R/H drawer side with the 2 rebates to the constraints manager, I could'nt see the
rebates in the elevation but clicked on the 2 nodes on one end of the drawer side to add a
dimension. An error came up saying "dimensions between selected nodes not allowed. This
drawer is not yet a part of a cabinet i was just creating it in the drawer box designer.
Hope this info helps.
John.
Nearly is not enough
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

I think this is something close to what you are wanting to do and doesn't require any part editor cuts or constraints.
drawer.jpg
drawer.jpg (166.41 KiB) Viewed 7483 times
Kerry
Attachments
rebated mdf Drawer_edit.hsf
(176.02 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
John Powell

Post by John Powell »

Yes thats it Kerry, I worked out how to do it last night, as you sugested i did it with consruction settings.
Again, thanks for your help on this one.
Nearly is not enough