Midrail/Midstile Editing = "Out of Memory" error

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Elaine Prince
Company Name: JE Prince

Midrail/Midstile Editing = "Out of Memory" error

Post by Elaine Prince »

I came across this error several times while attempting to put cocked beading on my faceframes (speaking of which, is there a wish list I can add that function to?). The error message in the Constraint Manager bluntly said "Out of Memory", although I have had a more talkative error which mumbled something about Hoops, but I forget which detail I was working on at the time.

As for the root of the midrail/midstile error, I'd make a geometric cut and/or profile, then take the part to the constraint manager to set the dimensions, and it would pop up with the error. Deleting the cut didn't help, however deleting and recreating the edited midrail/stile resolved the issue. The problem was the same, regardless of whether you cut or profiled the piece, and causes problems regardless of whether or not you take something to to the CM. I was able to recreate the error using just the standard faceframe cabinets.

Saving after the error produces an inoperable cabinet; the graphic doesn't move when you zoom (although the target does), and you need to restart the program to remove the graphic from the screen. Saving after editing the midrail/stile, but before opening CM produced the same problem.
Side Angled White 2 error.esa
Frozen graphic after midrail error
(3.34 MiB) Downloaded 278 times
I've only been using eCab for 2 weeks, and while I find it's quite powerful and fairly easy to use (after watching and working along with the instructional videos), the number of errors I've gotten, combined with the slow-as-molasses single threading program issue, has been quite disheartening... especially at 4 in the morning >.>
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Re: Midrail/Midstile Editing = "Out of Memory" error

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Elaine,

Because you started only two weeks ago you are in the middle of the new release of Version 6 and because the release is new you are getting to experience some of the errors as bugs are fixed.

When doing something like you are doing, adding beads to face frames, I find it necessary to save often and at certain intervals exit eCabinet, completely shut down windows the start up again. (a simple restart of windows doesn't seem to clean out the memory) This too is annoying and time consuming but it helps eliminate the Out of Memory error.

I hope some of this gets better with each new build.
Ryan Callahan
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Ryan Callahan »

Elaine,

Since you mentioned that you can get this to happen with std base cabinets, could you please list steps to do this, or at least a cabinet that is working but ready to display this issue when continuing to perform additional steps.

I think you may be close to stepping on the issue, but I am unable to do anything with your posted assembly.

I look forward to being able to help you resolve this issue.

Thanks.
Ryan Callahan
Thermwood
Dell Precision T3400 / Core 2 Quad Q9400 / 2.4GHz / 8GB RAM / 256MB NVIDIA Quadro FX3450 / Windows 7 x64
David Yurk

Post by David Yurk »

For what it's worth, I experienced the same 'hoops' and 'out of memory' warnings that Elaine described when I was working in Line Drawing Editor. It required me to close eCab and re-open to resume working. I'm currently running Build 3. Hope this is of some use.

David
David Yurk
Crockett's Cabinetry and Woodworking
HP8760w, i7-2640M 2.8GHz, nVidia Quadro 3000M, Windows 7 (64 bit), 8GB ram
Rick Deskins
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood

Post by Rick Deskins »

Have you tried increasing your page file size or trying the /3gb switch?

See Dan's post for a explanation

http://www.thermwood.com/forums/viewtop ... 3gb#p53998
Rick Deskins
eCabinet Systems Programmer
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM/ AMD FirePro V4900
Rick Deskins
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood

Post by Rick Deskins »

Just FYI. This is straight from HOOPS.

This situation is usually the result of HOOPS attempting (and failing) to allocate large memory blocks on 32-bit systems, even though there is seemingly enough memory. Such a failure is likely due to fragmentation. 64-bit systems, as well as Vista/Windows 7 32-bit systems (due to Vista/Windows 7’s low-fragmentation heap [LFH]) will not be as susceptible to this condition.
Rick Deskins
eCabinet Systems Programmer
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM/ AMD FirePro V4900
Elaine Prince
Company Name: JE Prince

Post by Elaine Prince »

Sorry for the late response... I gave up on adding cocked beading to the midrails/stiles, and then moved onto a different project without faceframes, so I didn't think to check back until I was looking at the new build's fixes.

As for the steps to recreate this issue...

Open standard faceframe cabinet
Add Midrail or Midstile
select Midrail/stile and open Part Editor
Apply any change to part (geo cut or profile)
Exit PE and apply changes to part
[Save, Reopen]
OR
[Take part to CM]
Error either way.

Thanks for the information about HOOPS... it sounds like I should defrag my harddrives? I have 2 computers -- one with WinXP, and the other with Win7 (both 32bit) -- and I had the same issue on both, even after rebooting. I can't check atm, because I'm having some registration verification issues, and I'm still waiting on Tech Support to return my call.
Donald Thomson
Guru Member
Company Name: Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks

Post by Donald Thomson »

Elaine,

What Rick is talking about, in regards to fragmentation, has to do with software applications allocating memory and not properly deallocating the memory. This causes "sandbars" of memory that the operating system has to deal with. There is nothing a user can do about this situation. It's up to the application software developer and the operating system to figure out how to handle it.

It doesn't have anything to do with whether or not your harddrive is fragmented. That said, it doesn't hurt to defrag your harddrives twice a month or so - more if you are constantly adding and deleting files.
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
http://www.dlwoodworks.com