Metabox Drawers

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Paul Bruce

Metabox Drawers

Post by Paul Bruce »

I'm just starting to learn this software so bear with me. I'm trying to wrap my head around designing a base cabinet with metabox drawers. I've already designed a box to work with the metabox slides and I'm trying to place the drawers in the cabinet in the proper positions so that I can keep my standard drilling positions for the mounting clips which I drill on a Blum mini press.On the mini press I have a standard setting for each metabox size (M,K,H) that references off the bottom of the drawer front. If I need to do non-standard drawer front heights I simply adjust the position of the drawer slides accordingly.
It seems I would have to do alot of trial and error of adjusting the insets in order to get drawers into the postions I want.
My standard drawer front sizes for kitchen cabinets are 12", 10", and 6" but I use mm for hardware. For example, a 3 drawer cabinet with 2 - 12" bottom drawers and a 6" top drawer, I would place my slides (referencing from bottom of gable) at 172mm, 498mm and 707mm.
Is this something I can achieve in the hardware hole editor?
Thanks in advance for any input.
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Re: Metabox Drawers

Post by Nick M Singer »

Hi Bruce what you need to do is associate the runner and hole pattern with the front and reference it the correct distance off the bottom of the front not of the drawer boxes, that will allow you to drill a standard pattern into the fronts using your Mini Press
JohnLashuay
Guru Member
Company Name: Rylex Custom Cabinetry-Close

Post by JohnLashuay »

Paul Bruce wrote:My standard drawer front sizes for kitchen cabinets are 12", 10", and 6" but I use mm for hardware.
Is this something I can achieve in the hardware hole editor?
Thanks in advance for any input.
Paul, you should be able to do this. Also keep in mind that you can work be working in inches and also use mm at the same time. All you have to do in put lower case "mm" next to your size and it will convert it into inches for you.

Hope this helps!
-John
Rylex Custom Cabinetry & Closets
http://www.rylexonline.com
Thermwood CS 43
Paul Bruce

Post by Paul Bruce »

Nick M Singer wrote:Hi Bruce what you need to do is associate the runner and hole pattern with the front and reference it the correct distance off the bottom of the front not of the drawer boxes, that will allow you to drill a standard pattern into the fronts using your Mini Press
Yeah, this is what I need to do. Is it possible to describe how?
Paul Bruce

Post by Paul Bruce »

I suppose I could just do some calculations in mm to figure out the insets but I thought there might be an easier way to acheive the same end.
It would be ideal if I reference the hardware holes from the bottom of the drawer fronts but I have no idea how to do this.
Nat Wheatley
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Plymouth Custom Closets

Post by Nat Wheatley »

Paul,

In the Drawer Box Editor, clear the default hole pattern for 'Dbx. Slides'. You'll want to clear the hole pattern from any drawers that you may have already added slides to.

In the Door/Drawer Editor, assign a hole pattern to the 'Drawer Front Slide'. Under Construction Settings put a check next to 'Add Drawer Box with Drawer Front' (right side of menu about 1/3 of the way down). Specify your 'Slide Distance from Bottom' (of drawer front).

Slides hole pattern should now be created/placed when you add each respective drawer front. You'll still need to create and add the actual drawer boxes in the Drawer Box Editor, but the slide holes will no longer be dependant on drawer box location. I use the program strictly for cutting, not presentation so I just stack the drawer boxes in the cabinets wherever they land when I add them.

Nat
http://www.plymouthcustomclosets.com

Dell Precision 490/ Intel Xeon 3.20 Ghz/3 GB RAM/ Nvidia Quadro FX 3450/ Windows XP, sp 3
Paul Bruce

Post by Paul Bruce »

Nat, that's perfect! Thanks!