Help with Graphics Card

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Help with Graphics Card

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Would some of you open THIS JOB and tell me if you are able to rotate the room in custom layout satisfactorily. I can zoom and pan the room OK (jerky) but rotation is very, very slow.
I thought maybe some of the newer cards might help. I would also like to know your operating system, processor, and Ram specs.

Thanks,

Kerry
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Halls Edge Inc

Re: Help with Graphics Card

Post by Josh Rayburn »

Very jerky and slow here too.
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Win7 Professional 64 Bit/Core2Duo E8400 3ghz/4 GB Ram/NVIDIA Quadro FX570
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Thanks Josh,

I think it is probably time to upgrade, but I don't know if my problem is a graphics card, operating system, processor or what.

I was hoping to stick with XP as long as I can. My wife just got a laptop with Windows 7 and the only thing I have found with it is a lot of annoying visual effects, security warnings and questions. Also the constant pressure to sign up for the microsoft Live functions. The ability to have more Ram with Windows 7 would probably be a big plus.

Kerry
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member
Company Name: Top Notch Cabinets

Post by Georgi Baltov »

Kerry,

It was almost impossible to rotate with the mouse. Using the buttons provided on the side it was fairly easy and fast. Zoom, rotate and angle worked easy. No jerk whatsoever.

Looking at your specs you have better video than mine - much better. So it must be something else.
Bryan J Tanner
Guru Member
Company Name: Decor Designz

Post by Bryan J Tanner »

Beautiful work Kerry!!!

I found it a bit, and I mean just a little bit, jerky but it was still what I would call workable and not counterproductive.

My specs are as below.

As for Windows 7, I've never liked the rubbish that Microsoft overcharge for. But Win 7 is fantastic, those questions that annoy you are keeping you safe.

You can turn off the eye candy and (though not recommended) alter the UAC (user access controls) so as to be not so annoying.

Hope this help you.
HP Pavilion DV6
2.27 gigahertz Intel Core i5 M 430
3064 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M
Windows 7 Home Premium
Terry Davis
Company Name: Penn Laminates

Post by Terry Davis »

Jerky here as well, but it renders beautifully? nice work by the way!

Amd Athlon 64 X2 dual core 6000+ 3.01 ghz. 4gb ram Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTX video and Win XP sp3
Karin Sasse

Post by Karin Sasse »

Hi Kerry

I noticed when I opened your Job that you had an Edgebanding called none with no width or thickness and your job wouldn't open. I changed the edging and I can open and rotating with the mouse without problems.
Your job is about the same size as most of my average jobs. I'm running a toshiba laptop with 4 gig of ram and w7. very nice job your not thinking of migrating to Australia I give you a job anytime

Thanks Karin
Wally Schneeberger
Guru Member

Post by Wally Schneeberger »

Kerry Fullington wrote:Thanks Josh,

I think it is probably time to upgrade, but I don't know if my problem is a graphics card, operating system, processor or what.

I was hoping to stick with XP as long as I can. My wife just got a laptop with Windows 7 and the only thing I have found with it is a lot of annoying visual effects, security warnings and questions. Also the constant pressure to sign up for the microsoft Live functions. The ability to have more Ram with Windows 7 would probably be a big plus.

Kerry
Hey Kerry -- Maybe it's my turn to help you!!! I put off going to Win7 for a long time and then I talked to my supplier and he told me it's been the best thing to happen in MS Windows. He always tells me like it is with no BS so I believed him and went to Win7 32 bit and it runs great and uses less resources. I only have 3 gigs ram and I don't have any problem with Ecabs running slow now. Also if you buy the Win7 Pro you can still run anything you want in Win XP.
Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Post by Mark McCallum »

Hi Kerry
Very nice Job.

I tried it on 2 computers; the laptop was slow and jerky but was okay. But at the upper limits of its capacity
Laptop
Laptop
Toshiba.JPG (40.92 KiB) Viewed 10609 times
The desktop worked fine, and had enough space to add some more detail.
Test.jpg
Test.jpg (33.96 KiB) Viewed 10609 times
Out of curiosity. How long would this presentation take you to do if your system was working normally? And would you have to do any more adjustment work to it to prepare it for the workshop?
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Mark,

I am not having any trouble adding things to the job or editing cabinets, I am just having trouble manipulating the room in custom layout if I want to look at something. It is very slow to rotate the room to a wall view.The other problem I am having with this job is the fact all the cabinets have lost their part bodies and I will have to take each one into the cab editor and regenerate them and re-do any part editor cuts before I can continue with the job.
This is the rough draft of this job. I sent a Slide Show to the customer to see if they like it and now I must start making changes and add all the pullouts, scribes, correct doors, and any thing else they want corrected. When we get the design finalized I will go to the LDE and do a floor plan and wall elevations for them to sign off on and create a firm bid. I usually dress up the drawings with some display objects and do a final slide show for the customer. I will probably have between 20 and 30 hours in the bid process when complete.

It looks like the Windows 7 machines are having better luck manipulating the job than the XP Machines.

Those of you not having problems rotating the job, can you simply Shift/Left Click and drag the room in a circle or do you have to work the cursor hard to get the room to move?

Kerry
Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Post by Mark McCallum »

Hi Kerry.
Thanks for the reply.
20 -30 hours is very good for that level of presentation. Its always good to have a benchmark to work towards.
Again on your drawing. On the laptop it does need a bit of work to left click and drag. But it’s usable.
The desktop is a lot better but I still wouldn't say it is working brilliantly.
A funny thing. Your drawing saved to a new file on the laptop but on the desktop although I tried a few times it came back with some kind of hoops error and would not let me save it.
Also I was surprised to see your bench tops rendered. I am working on a job at the moment but the bench tops don’t show up in the rendering. Is there a trick to anchoring them?
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member
Company Name: Top Notch Cabinets

Post by Georgi Baltov »

It doesn't really work with Shift+Left-Click. It's not even jerky, it's impossible to move. If I go to render mode I can't move with mouse click at all. Only the side buttons. Thermwood can probably improve the speed of CL once most of the major cutting and design bugs are fixed. One step at a time I guess.
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Hi Kerry,

I wouldn't say horrible but definitely slower than panning around.
Jason Susnjara
V.P., Marketing
Thermwood Corp.

On YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/ThermwoodCNC
Thermwood Blog:
http://blog.thermwood.com
Gary Puckett
Wizard Member
Company Name: The Woodworkery

Post by Gary Puckett »

Kerry,

I am also having the problem of losing part bodies. Even after I fix the cabinet it sometimes loses the part bodies.

Gary
HP Pavilion
Vista home Premium 64bit S. pack 2
AMD Phenom-X4
9850 Quad-Core Processor
6.0GB/Go Memory
1 TB/To Hard Drive
Nividia GeForce 9800 GT
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Georgi,

I know the guys at Thermwood are always working to make eCabinets run faster and jump higher. I am not sure my problem is all an eCabinets problem. With the jump to Windows 7 all software companies are making changes to become compliant and that affects every other software that uses it. My four year old graphics card has had ten driver updates (I just looked at my downloads) since I started Beta Testing V6. That tells me NVidia is having a lot of problems with this card in other areas. I also think there will be some benefit of being able to have much more System Ram if I were to upgrade to Windows 7.

Jason,

I think I may have stumbled on to something this morning. In the overhead view of custom layout using this job, the pick box and cross hairs were always at least a second behind any move with the mouse pointer. I have updated the control software of my smart mouse and after playing with the acceleration settings I am seeing a big improvement in rotation performance. It is only slightly behind the pan and zoom.

Mark,

Make sure you don't have the tops hidden in Show/Hide when you render the view.

Kerry