Eclipse DXF file ?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Dale Wills
Company Name: none

Eclipse DXF file ?

Post by Dale Wills »

Hi,

I have created an eclipse in AutoCad and want to load it into eCabs to apply to a part. The arc of the eclipse comes out in eCabs as a series of short straight lines to form the arc and not a nice curved arc. In AutoCad it's definately a smooth shaped eclispe but once loading in eCabs it's different. Can anyone shed some light on this problem?

Dale
Attachments
Eclipse.jpg
Eclipse.jpg (5.27 KiB) Viewed 12237 times
Eclipse.hsf
(316.02 KiB) Downloaded 376 times
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Re: Eclipse DXF file ?

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Dale,

I could be wrong but I think it is the Cad program that draws curves as segments. I know in Intellicad I can choose how many segments. The more segments the smoother the curve looks but a bunch of segments really bogs eCabinets down.

You can use the Tesselation setting in eCabinets to smooth the lines.

Kerry
Kenneth Rychlik

Post by Kenneth Rychlik »

I agree, it's an autocad thing.

If you pm me with your email and tell me what size you need, i will make you one and email the dxf to you.

Kenneth
Sean Jakob
Company Name: Sean Jakob Cabinets

Post by Sean Jakob »

Dale
Have you actually tried to cut it anyway?

I have seen things like this in the past with a variety of other systems and sometimes despite the graphics, they actually do cut properly.

Would you let me know.
Dale Wills

Post by Dale Wills »

Sean,

Initially I also thought it was simply a graphical thing and did do a test cut just in case. The test piece came out as represented by the graphical display in eCabs and was a series of approx. 100mm long straight lines formed in an arc to create the eclipse. Kenneth was nice enough to create the eclipse for me in an alternative CAD program he uses and it has since cut perfectly. I'm sure I could tweak my AutoCad settings to get it to work myself next time. It is an eclipse shaped benchtop template for the construction company we are doing a job for. They are using it to shoot lines up to the ceiling to create a drop down bulkhead to match the benchtop below.
Dale
jason galbraith
Company Name: Eastcoast Ultimate

Post by jason galbraith »

Elipse? :P
Core i7-2600 @ 3.70Ghz - 8 GB ram - Win 7 Ultimate 64bit - 2 x 24" ASUS monitors - Nvidia 600 Quadro 1GB graphics
www.eastcoastultimate.com.au
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Maybe Thermwood guys can weight in on why most cabinet design programs including ecabinets do not have the ability to do an elipse. Is it that much more difficult to program than an arch?

Forrest
Matt Snowball

Post by Matt Snowball »

it's 'Ellipse' actually .
Kenneth Rychlik

Post by Kenneth Rychlik »

Give it a rest guys. I knew it was not speellled correctly as well.

However, I knew what he meant and helped him out. Isn't that enough?

Kenneth
Tom Goodman
Company Name: Stephenson Millwork

Post by Tom Goodman »

Hello, In Autocad, an ellipse is composed of short arc segments that can not be exploded. An elliptical arc can be exploded but you wind up with LOTS of small arcs. We do a fair amount of elliptical transoms for fancy entrances. To run the elliptical pattern on our point to point, we have to change the ellipse to arcs. We have developed a little DOS program to approximate the elliptical shape with 2 radii. There may be some others on the web. Let me know and I'll send you a copy. Technically, an ellipse is an isometric circle. If you were to slice a cylinder at an angle (not 90) the resulting shape would be a true ellipse.

Best,
Tom Goodman
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Post by Will Williamson »

When you export a DXF from Corel Draw it produces a smooth Ellipse. I spent a lot of time on this same problem. I never did solve it in Auto Cad.
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
Dale Wills

Post by Dale Wills »

Hi,

Thanks for your input guys. I found that there is a setting in AutoCad that you can alter how 'ellipses' are created. By default AutoCad creates an ellipse as a 'true ellipse object' but you can elect to create them also as polyline representations of an ellipse which works as expected when importing into eCabs. For those using AutoCad and want to try this, type pellipse and then enter 1.

Dale