Significant Performance Slowdown Over Time

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Donald Thomson
Guru Member
Company Name: Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks

Significant Performance Slowdown Over Time

Post by Donald Thomson »

I wanted to change the way door/drawer pricing was done and go to a global pricing strategy using that option in eCabs. I am working on a kitchen design that has 24 cabinets in it. I have the cabinets in a custom room layout. Here are the steps I took:

1. Bring cabinet into cabinet editor
2. Go to Door/drawer editor
3. Load default doors/drawers and change pricing to Alternate Source->Global Pricing
4. Delete existing doors and drawers
5. Add door and drawers back in using the new pricing strategy
6. Go back to cabinet editor
7. Return to room saving changes

All this worked fine. What I noticed was when I started the editing session, when I took a cabinet from room layout into cabinet editor it was taking no more then 5 to 8 seconds to be able to start editing the cabinet. By the time I got to the end of the editing session it was taking 35 to 40 seconds to go from room layout editor to being able to do something in the cabinet editor.

I've done this operation twice taking all the cabinets from room to cab edit and the results were identical - significant degradation in performance. When I start my editing session response is very fast. By the time I get to the end I'm falling asleep at the keyboard waiting to be able to edit cabinets. Both times I started after a clean reboot and the only thing running (other then background applications and processes) was eCabinets. The machine is a Dell XPS quad core processor with 8GB ram and Windows 7 (64-bit) Professional version. All hardware drivers are up to date. I don't think this is related to any hardware configuration - it seems to be software related.

Is this an area where performance enhancement coding work could be targeted?
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
http://www.dlwoodworks.com
Tom Nienow
Company Name: Nienow Woodwork

Re: Significant Performance Slowdown Over Time

Post by Tom Nienow »

35-45 seconds? That's really flyin'. I've had occasions where it took 4 1/2 minutes to add molding, I've found it easier to make a new cabinet, delete the original, then add the new one.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Don, Tom,

Make sure you have set your Virtual Memory High. Don't let Windows set the limits. If Windows has to raise the amount of space available for page files then it will slow you down. Do a search on this forum for Virtual Memory and you will see a lot of discussion on this. It is worth looking at.

Kerry
Rick Deskins
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood

Post by Rick Deskins »

This issue is being looked at.
Rick Deskins
eCabinet Systems Programmer
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM/ AMD FirePro V4900
Donald Thomson
Guru Member
Company Name: Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks

Post by Donald Thomson »

Kerry,

Virtual memory is set to start at 8GB with a maximum of 24GB. I would think this would be adequate.

Also, as I use eCabs I run the resource monitor to get an idea of what is happening to the system and even with a kitchen layout, and doing a lot of editing, use of physical RAM in the machine is not exceeded, so my paging file is not coming into play.
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
http://www.dlwoodworks.com
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Don,

I thought virtual memory settings might be part of Tom's extreme slowdown.

I am still on XP and only have 4GB of RAM so just opening one of my jobs can create almost a 2GB page file