Full overlay on Face Frames

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

ScotAcree
Company Name: Scot Acree Woodworkig LLC

Full overlay on Face Frames

Post by ScotAcree »

I have 1.625" Face Frames and the client would like to have full overlay doors and drw. fronts.
1.What are the reveals used on something like this?
2.What is the reveal when the two f.f.s butt together?Do I change hinge overlays here?
3.Reveal between drw.front bottom and top of door?
4.Reveal to crown on uppers?

I use Blum clip top hinges with soft close with .5" overlays.I can only get .75" overlay out of these,which will leave 1.5" between butted cabinets and the two door reveals.May look kind of odd.I know I can use their compact 39c hinges which have overlays from 1'-1.56".

If you have any suggestions on face frame reveals and hinge use, I would appreciate it.

Scot
Attachments
V6  4.jpg
V6 4.jpg (79.14 KiB) Viewed 10653 times
Utlilty room1.jpg
Utlilty room1.jpg (67.57 KiB) Viewed 10653 times
Donald Thomson
Guru Member
Company Name: Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks

Re: Full overlay on Face Frames

Post by Donald Thomson »

When doing FF cabinets with Blum hardware I normally do 1.5" FF's with .5" door/drawer front overlay with .5" separation between between doors and drawer fronts.

Crown spacing and such is a personal preference for the customer. Some like more reveal (wider top rails) and some like the .5" reveal that equals the door/drawerface separation.

Glad to see someone else using drawers in lower cabinets. Have you thought about corner cabinet having drawers instead of lazy susans? My customers are blown away that they can get rid of lazy susans and have full extension drawers in their corner cabinets.

Just one persons opinion... :D
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
http://www.dlwoodworks.com
ScotAcree
Company Name: Scot Acree Woodworkig LLC

Post by ScotAcree »

Yes,I would like to do one.This client wants to put a recycling center in the corner cab on this one.Could you send me some information on making that.

Do you change hinges when you have two cabinets butted together like the uppers?Because then your spacing would be 1" between the doors.

Scot
Donald Thomson
Guru Member

Post by Donald Thomson »

Scot,

I tried sending you a PM but the system says you don't exist as a user. Not sure what that's all about considering you are posting messages up here.
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
Terry Hall

Post by Terry Hall »

Don, I'd like to see how you're doing your corner drawer stack. Are you using the blum system? I've got an angle corner cabinet coming up on my next job and the folks hate lazy susans (imagine that). I was thinking of maybe doing a drawer stack, but I think the opening is only about 13", or thereabout. That makes for a lot of wasted space. How are u doing yours? Thanks Terry
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Terry,

This is my favorite way to do the corner drawer. I run a ledger on the wall for tops, For all practical purposes that space is wasted in the corner with a Lazy Susan or blind corner pull out also.
corner.jpg
corner.jpg (251.1 KiB) Viewed 10562 times
Donald Thomson
Guru Member

Post by Donald Thomson »

Here's how I do corner cabinets with drawers. See pictures.
Attachments
Corner cabinet details - 3.jpg
Corner cabinet details - 3.jpg (18.23 KiB) Viewed 10552 times
Corner cabinet details - 2.jpg
Corner cabinet details - 2.jpg (22.15 KiB) Viewed 10552 times
Corner cabinet details - 1.jpg
Corner cabinet details - 1.jpg (21.26 KiB) Viewed 10552 times
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
jason galbraith
Company Name: Eastcoast Ultimate

Post by jason galbraith »

How long would it take to make one of those framed corner cabinets you have in the pictures?
Core i7-2600 @ 3.70Ghz - 8 GB ram - Win 7 Ultimate 64bit - 2 x 24" ASUS monitors - Nvidia 600 Quadro 1GB graphics
www.eastcoastultimate.com.au
Donald Thomson
Guru Member

Post by Donald Thomson »

This particular cabinet has about 10 hours total in to it. The drawer fronts and doors are out sourced. The pull out trays and the top drawer are built in house. Your first time around might take longer. I've done several of these (customers seem to prefer them) so have the process down pretty good.
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
Terry Hall

Post by Terry Hall »

That's what I was thinking Kerry, why build a huge cabinet when it's only going to accommodate three little drawers. I haven't drawn mine up yet, how wide of stack can you get?
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Terry,

The nice thing about this is you can make it whatever you want, depending how much wall space you want to use. I try to keep them close to what a regular 36" x 36" corner would be. (approx 18" cabinet) Here is a 24" cabinet. You can make these 28" deep if you want that much drawer.
corner_02.jpg
corner_02.jpg (245.71 KiB) Viewed 10519 times
I make a small bead, 3/8" thick with a slight saw kerf ripped into each side that the corner of each cabinet face frame slips into to join these. This allows for adjustment if the room corner is out a bit and adds a nice detail. No mitering face frames. I run a 3" scrap along the top of the corner cabinet to the wall ledger to secure the cabinet in place.

This also makes for a nice cabinet to have a drawer above and a two can waste pullout below.

Kerry
Donald Thomson
Guru Member

Post by Donald Thomson »

I like Kerry's plan for an angled front corner drawer setup and I have used this on a few occasions when this was the customers preference. The design I have posted is for customers who don't want the angled front but want the corner front.
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
Terry Hall

Post by Terry Hall »

I like that idea Kerry, and the look too. I don't quite understand the bead though, if it's not too much trouble can u post a detail of it. Thanks
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Terry,

Here is a detail of the bead with kerf cuts.
bead_01.jpg
bead_01.jpg (181.44 KiB) Viewed 10469 times
When installing the cabinets I put a Little glue in the kerf cut then attach the bead to the first cabinet with a headless pin. I then place the corner cabinet face frame in the kerf cut then attach the second bead to that cabinet. I then butt the third cabinet in place and make adjustments to the corner and fasten all. The cabinets pressing together trap the bead in place.
It adds a nice detail to the corner, allows me some adjustment and eliminates the problem of aligning mitered face frames.
bead_02.jpg
bead_02.jpg (278.66 KiB) Viewed 10469 times
Terry Hall

Post by Terry Hall »

That's shows some great ingenuity Kerry. I always miter everything and it can be a pain, I'd really like to talk the folks on this next kitchen into doing the drawer stack so I could try out your process. Thanks for sharing that with us. Terry