In House Door panels

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Glenn Warner
Company Name: Expressions in Wood

In House Door panels

Post by Glenn Warner »

Is there any way to make the door panels out of sheet stock, so they can be nested? Board stock is the only option I see. I'm using beaded mdf for flat panels.

Thanks,
Glenn
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Re: In House Door panels

Post by Nick M Singer »

Yes you can but what kind of door are you talking about?
Glenn Warner

Post by Glenn Warner »

A five piece door with 3/4" rails and stiles, and a 1/4" flat panel. I want to nest the 1/4" sheet material. The build in-house option doesn't appear to allow this.
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

Glen are you making these doors on a Thermwood?
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Glenn,

I don't know of any way to be able to nest the panels in eCabinets using the Door/Drawer front designer.

You can create a door using a face frame with negative insets to make your cope and stick cuts and then use insets for the back to get your 1/4" panel sizes. This will nest but you would have to batch the doors and change the size for each door.
I do this for end panels and island backs.

Kerry
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael S Murray »

Glen, if you have your panel sizes you can enter them right at the machine and nest them there, you could also do it in e-cabs as display panels and then send them to machine, or take the back out of a cabinet and save it, then resize for each panel you need......actually easier than display panel method as you have to creat those one at a time, and cant resize..
Mike Murray
Versatile Cabinet & Solid Surface
mike@versatilecabinet.com
http://www.versatilecabinet.com
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

Ok it is clear you are using a Thermwood, why dont you just do these as MDF panels using the Profile Modeller?
Glenn Warner

Post by Glenn Warner »

Using the build in house option, I can get all the right sizes for rails, stiles and panels in the cut list. Just can't get a nest diagram for the panels, since they can only be specified as board stock. I cut these on a slider, no CNC here.
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

Ok if you dont need it for CNC production and just want a nesting diagram and are getting the panel sizes from the cut list just quickly create those panels as display panels in the required material and you will get the nest
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

Nick,

Nesting the panels of a raised panel door can be done and I think with minimal effort. Granted it's not a straight shot from eCabinets to a .twd file, but the data is there. When I say "Raised Panel" doors, in this case I realize that you don't want raised panels, but want 1/4" flat panels.

An Excel spreadsheet can be loaded into Control Nesting that would let you import panels. You can enter the panel sizes manually, but I think that would be time consuming and prone to errors.

To start, create the door as a Thermwood 5-piece door with the correct insets for your panel. It really doesn't matter that it is using board stock in the Door/Drawer Designer. We just need the size of the panel. From your job or cabinet, generate a Cut List report and Export the Cutlist to Excel.

You'll find a breakdown of the door parts in the FivePieceDoorBreakDown sheet. Then manually purge the component list to just Panels or manipulate it with Visual Basic.

In Control Nesting, an example of the spreadsheet format can be found on the dialog for loading a .twd or .dxf file. Next to Excel Files there is a question mark. Click on that. Delete and add any required columns per the example shown.

The required data is: Quantity, Panel Name, Panel Width, Panel Length, Material Name, Sheet Width, Sheet Length, Sheet Thickness, Has Grain. So this data as listed is entered in sequence to columns A through I. Column names don't appear to be required, so the data must be entered in the sequence I've listed above.

The cut list provides you only with part dimensions, so you would have to add the material information, i.e., material name, sheet width, length, thickness and Has Grain (Yes or No). Most of this information would be copy and paste.

Anyway, see if this make sense.

Dennis
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

Hi Dennis thanks for participating but it is Glen with the problem and he does not have a CNC. He is only trying to get eCabs nesting diagrams for his panels that are made from a different material (MDF) to the frame.