tenon % thickness VS. TWD thickness

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Re: tenon % thickness VS. TWD thickness

Post by DanEpps »

The only problem I see with that Kerry, is when you change materials you would have to recalculate tenon thicknesses.

I never understood why full dado thickness is a static measurement and blind dado thickness is a percentage. To me it makes more sense to allow static or percentage thicknesses for both.
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Halls Edge Inc

Post by Josh Rayburn »

That's right Dan, especially if you're changing thickness on the fly (i.e. on the way to the twd file)- you'll have no control over the tenon thickness. This is also a change that would have to be modified on a CE basis, one cannot do it on a job level. Lots of extra screwing around.
jnr
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Win7 Professional 64 Bit/Core2Duo E8400 3ghz/4 GB Ram/NVIDIA Quadro FX570
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Yes,

This would need to be something performed at the job level at the control to be a solution and reading the Control Nesting Manual I didn't fine a way to do this.
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Halls Edge Inc

Post by Josh Rayburn »

Right Kerry - there's no way to do it at the control either. Once the twd file is created from ecabs there is nothing that can be modified anymore. (except that cool new "merge materials button!)
jnr
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Win7 Professional 64 Bit/Core2Duo E8400 3ghz/4 GB Ram/NVIDIA Quadro FX570
Tim Massa

Post by Tim Massa »

We have done the math equation to get to the desired tenon thickness. Besides the problem with having the tenon thickness change with any material thickness change at the TWD there is also the problem with having to do it for any material variation. Seems counterproductive. Then there's the opportunity for error with the late night arithmetic, trying to pencil it back to a direct thickness value. Seems counterproductive most of the time for how I use the software but maybe there is a benefit to the % thickness for other shops and I'm not aware of it.