LDE Frustrations

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

lesley paone
Company Name: Russell Cabinet Company

LDE Frustrations

Post by lesley paone »

Ok, I have been using ecabs for several years. Lately it is getting to the point that I just find it unusable and obstinate. Are there any plans in the future to actually fiz the bugs in the LDE and make it preform like it should? I am on the verge of purchasing a router and I will get one that works with another software package if it comes down to me using 2 different packages to make layouts.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Re: LDE Frustrations

Post by DanEpps »

Care to explain what bugs you are referring to?
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

Hi Lesley. I purchased a router and have been using it and eCabs for 5 years now and yes there have been some frustrations but by and large you are going to get the job done and very well.It is a really powerful system and there is really not much you can not do. You dont need the LDE to create code for your jobs but perhaps you should look to your system because I cant say I have really experienced the kind of problem you are referring to in the LDE.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Lesley,

I think there are tome enhancements to the LDE in the pipeline but with Version 6 Build 5 I find that the Line Drawing Editor works better than it ever has for me. It is a pleasure to use. Tell us more about the problems you are experiencing. Post your computer and graphics card specs also as this could contribute to any problems.
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Halls Edge Inc

Post by Josh Rayburn »

Can you also post a job you're having trouble with? This might help to diagnose a specific problem you might be having that's not actually related to the LDE....? Or maybe not, but if you post the job we'd be willing to check it out and see if it works with our systems, and that might be helpful too.
jnr
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Win7 Professional 64 Bit/Core2Duo E8400 3ghz/4 GB Ram/NVIDIA Quadro FX570
Jason Gooch
Guru Member

Post by Jason Gooch »

Hey Lesley and everyone else - I share your pain, I've been frustrated by LDE for years. BUT - having invested this much time and this LITTLE money into the software, and knowing what a great support group there is here, I can't imagine moving on to something else. The kind of money you have to spend to get a comparable system is a bit outrageous - I'd rather buy a brand new truck.

I have instituted some methods to avoid using LDE if possible - for example, I have templates that I use for shop drawings, so I don't have to generate a new line drawing of each cabinet in LDE for the shop floor. Speeds up the process - the only issue is I don't have a saved image in that job, but it's not been a problem yet. Dimensioned elevations are still irritating, but hopefully going to get better. The Thermwood people are plugging away at it.
Applebox Cabinetry and Furniture
www.appleboxwood.com
lesley paone
Company Name: Russell Cabinet Company

Post by lesley paone »

Ok, I attached a job I just got for a lodge. I am doing it out of box cabinets and don't really need a 3d rendering system, just overhead line drawings. Here are my issues with the lde.

1. The whole interface needs a name plate like how autocad or similar programs have. Something that can be turned on and off or maybe an option to use or not use. I hate having to make a little area for each individual overhead and adding all of that information.

2. Typesetting is terrible. If you print out page 3 of the overhead in the attached file the font is not the same size as the displayed font.

3. Appliances do not print right. They are missing halve of the lines associated with them.

4. Look at page 3 in the lde, I swear that cabinet is not 26.9999" If you go the the main view and zoom into the cabinet, you can see that they are not really touching. Infact I could go for a user editable between arms... as you can tell the cabinet is labeled a 30" box, but the cabinet is 27", so something I could type whatever number I want to in would be great.

5. Cabinet names. I did my best at lining the names of the cabinets up, but they are not perfect. Having a naming feature that would print out the names associated with the cabinets would be great.

6. I get disconnected cabinet lines when I print most things from the lde, Like half the page will be shifted a pixel or two.

I hope no one downs me for using box cabinets. We are really thinking about shifting our production and getting our face frames and doors from china and domestically making the boxes. So in essence we will be needing a router for the cabinet parts and I want something that can produce nice quality line drawings.
Attachments
greg1.esj
(5.16 MiB) Downloaded 305 times
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Lesley,
I know that Thermwood is planning on improvements to the Line Drawing Editor but I don't know the time frame.

It looks like most of what you are talking about are not bugs but feature requests.

As for your list:
1. The whole interface needs a name plate like how autocad or similar programs have. Something that can be turned on and off or maybe an option to use or not use. I hate having to make a little area for each individual overhead and adding all of that information.
You are asking for a Title Block. You can search the forum and find much about this. Architects create these using their CAD program and save it as a block to be used over and over. HERE is a link to a thread that has the block I used in your drawing below and how to use it.
title block.jpg
2. Typesetting is terrible. If you print out page 3 of the overhead in the attached file the font is not the same size as the displayed font.
When I print your drawing the fonts seem OK. Check your printer settings and print drivers. I don't know what else would cause this.
3. Appliances do not print right. They are missing halve of the lines associated with them.
Try adjusting the Line enhancement in the LDE to a heavier Line weight. This should correct that problem.
4. Look at page 3 in the lde, I swear that cabinet is not 26.9999" If you go the the main view and zoom into the cabinet, you can see that they are not really touching. In fact I could go for a user editable between arms... as you can tell the cabinet is labeled a 30" box, but the cabinet is 27", so something I could type whatever number I want to in would be great.
As you see in the picture above I get 27" when I measure your cabinet. This can happen if the Room Gets skewed a bit before doing a measurement. Hit the reset view button if this happens again and see if that helps.
5. Cabinet names. I did my best at lining the names of the cabinets up, but they are not perfect. Having a naming feature that would print out the names associated with the cabinets would be great.
I agree. This definitely needs improvement.
6. I get disconnected cabinet lines when I print most things from the LDE, Like half the page will be shifted a pixel or two.
Once again check printer settings and make sure you have the latest drivers installed on your printer.

Maybe this will help until the improvements arrive.

Kerry