rotation problem in assembly editor

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

George L Vought

rotation problem in assembly editor

Post by George L Vought »

Still fooling around experimenting with display cubes. When I go to rotate them I can not set an exact 90 degree. When I type it in, it doesn't respond. I found the same problem on all 3 axis. It sets to an odd number, you can't enter an exact 180 or 90 degree angle and get it. On a 180 I can get 178 or 182, for the 90 you get either 91 or 87?????
It's throwing the whole table off. Each part I try to rotate into position, I end up having to settle for "close enough".
Anybody else got the same issue?? I also found I could not control size in the cabinet editor either. (Main window).
George
rotation problem.jpg
The only DUMB question is the one you don't ask!
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Re: rotation problem in assembly editor

Post by Kerry Fullington »

George,

Like you, using the slider or the mouse wheel I can't set 90 degrees but you can type it. Make sure you hit Enter after you type 90.0 in the numerical entry box.
David Egnoski
Company Name: Richmond Cabinet

Post by David Egnoski »

You can also click the markers for 90, 180, 270 and they work as well. Just not the sliders or mouse wheel.
Dave Egnoski
Richmond Cabinet & Millwork
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

Actually, if you left-click anywhere on the horizontal line to the right of the slider, it will change the rotation value by 90 degrees. Click to the left of the slider it will subtract 90 degrees. Clicking on the vertical lines will not change the object to the implied value of that line. By that I mean that if you want to rotate it 270 degrees, you'll need to triple click on the horizontal line not single click on a vertical line.

This is fairly consistent through the program, but in one or two other areas it changes by 45 degree increments rather than 90.

With regards to entering values, if you haven't already accidentally rotated the object by using the slider, you should be able to enter 90, then hit the Enter key to change it to 90 degrees.

Have a great day,

Dennis
George L Vought

Took it back to see what I could do with it. The only thing that worked was to enter it by typing (forgot to click enter before :oops: )

Clicking on the markers didn't work nor did clicking on the line. I'm not nuts really I'm not see for yourselves
0 not 0 (462 x 600).jpg
still get 91.jpg

When I saved the changes I went back and reloaded it and it worked all 3 ways. Had similar issue with the part editor the other day. Hightlighted the part I wanted to edit, clicked on part editor and viola, nobody there, just a blank work area.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Dennis,

I would like to know why the mouse wheel scrolls 7 degrees with each click on the roller. I use the mouse wheel a lot and this makes it pretty worthless. I have my mouse whell set for auto scroll and 1 line for eCabinets.
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

Kerry,
I've never used the roller to scroll through the degrees. I'd guess that being able to use the scroll wheel was unintended, especially if it moves in 7 degree increments.

I just find clicking on the horizontal line to be faster, if I need to rotate in 90 or 45 degree increments. A click or two or three and your there. If I know the specific degrees, then I just type it in. If I don't have a clue as to what angle I want, I just wing it by using the slider.

Dennis
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Dennis,

The problem is that in the real world everything doesn't land on 45/90/270 degrees. to align many things on a job (mainly display parts and I do many of these) I use the mouse wheel to roll one degree at a time (we used to be able to do this) and it works great when I need 48 degrees.

Kerry
Gary Puckett
Wizard Member
Company Name: The Woodworkery

Post by Gary Puckett »

I also use the roller on the mouse to rotate an object. You also can use the arrow keys once you click on the axes you want to rotate

Gary
HP Pavilion
Vista home Premium 64bit S. pack 2
AMD Phenom-X4
9850 Quad-Core Processor
6.0GB/Go Memory
1 TB/To Hard Drive
Nividia GeForce 9800 GT
George L Vought

I think I finally figured out the problem. Dennis is right, for what ever reason my scroll mouse wheel moves things at 7 degrees. I usually use the pointer and either put it on the line or right on the degree mark for 90 or 180 etc. Once I moved it that 7 degrees, from there on it set to that and even typing it in (unless I forget to hit enter :oops: ) didn't change it.

Kerry is right, not everything in the real world set to a 90 or 45 or even perfect 180. I've run into plenty of jobs where things had to be built at a custom degree. Kerry, how do I set my mouse wheel to scroll 1 degree at a time??? That would be great.
George
Gary Puckett
Wizard Member
Company Name: The Woodworkery

Post by Gary Puckett »

George,

JUst click on the axes you want to move and then use your arrow keys it will move it one degree at a time.

Gary
HP Pavilion
Vista home Premium 64bit S. pack 2
AMD Phenom-X4
9850 Quad-Core Processor
6.0GB/Go Memory
1 TB/To Hard Drive
Nividia GeForce 9800 GT
George L Vought

I'm getting back into it now that I've used it more. Been playing around with some cubes I'm not going to use for anything.
Thanks for the help guys, appreciate it.