Next Release Question

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Halls Edge Inc

Re: Next Release Question

Postby Josh Rayburn » Mon, Dec 06 2010, 2:19PM

Michael,
I've also noticed the lack of response - but a little birdie told me it's in the "request pile" we just don't know how far down in the pile it is! I believe it's not a simple task for TWD to accomplish this, so they would need quite an overwhelming request for something in order to justify the hours it would take to integrate.

In total there are 12 different users who have responded to this post, and it sounds like we all agree that this would be a great feature. Unfortunately, I think we'll need more than 12 users to exclaim their sheer joy at the thought of having such a feature before it gets moved up in the pile though.

I really hope it gets some serious consideration in the near future.
I have noticed that this post has over 600 views, which seems to be much more than the average for a post lately. Either I chose the title of the post poorly, or it's really an interesting subject to lots of users who have not chimed in.
So, if any other users are reading through, let us have your thoughts as well, even if it's just a "YES, I'd like that too!"
jnr
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Win7 Professional 64 Bit/Core2Duo E8400 3ghz/4 GB Ram/NVIDIA Quadro FX570

Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Postby Michael S Murray » Mon, Dec 06 2010, 7:34PM

Could we exclaim pure Joy in the form of Pizza, Beer, Money...........
Yes, I am open to pure Bribery for this one........
Mike Murray
Versatile Cabinet & Solid Surface
mike@versatilecabinet.com
http://www.versatilecabinet.com

David Egnoski
Company Name: Richmond Cabinet

Postby David Egnoski » Mon, Dec 06 2010, 8:15PM

I just went back and re-read Josh's original post. The pilot hole with blind dado would also be in my top 5 wish list. If it just takes a large number of votes to get this done, I vote yes, my three kids vote yes, and my seventeen cousins also vote yes.
Dave Egnoski
Richmond Cabinet & Millwork

Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Postby Michael S Murray » Mon, Dec 06 2010, 8:47PM

Come on David, top 5, that could be interpreted as wishy-washy, we need Top Priority on this one :P :P
Mike Murray
Versatile Cabinet & Solid Surface
mike@versatilecabinet.com
http://www.versatilecabinet.com

Gary Campbell
Guru Member
Company Name: ShopBot Tools Inc

Postby Gary Campbell » Mon, Dec 06 2010, 9:51PM

Josh...
Demographics are, of couse what we make of them, but of those 12:
How many are CNC machinists? (maybe all?)
How does that number compare to the number of machinists that frequent or post on the forum?
My guess is that the vast majority of users do not send to machine. To them this means nothing, nor should it.

I sincerely hope that the cost of implementing this feature is not cost prohibitive. These guys (TWD) have given us a lot and still no fees.

For those that may want to see how at least part of this feature would work:

in Hdwe hole editor open any rafix ptn
delete large hole
make small hole .75 deep
save as rafix test or similar
open CE
select standard base frameless
Const Set > select top tab
Set left and right joinery method to RTA and adjust settings to your preff.
back to CE, select top,.. KD/RTA tab, select new pattern, yes to apply to selected
you may have to reselect, RTA tab, and select apply to selected again.

you should now have 5mm pilot holes visible thru sides at top
CS > top tab> set top inset to 3"
select ok
Now look at where holes are
Aint that sweet? makes cad patterns look old fashioned :beer:

Features like this are WHY one would want to buy a CNC
Gary Campbell
ShopBot Tools Production Support

ShopBot (eCabinets) Link Training & Support

Bryan J Tanner
Guru Member
Company Name: Decor Designz

Postby Bryan J Tanner » Mon, Dec 06 2010, 11:31PM

I don't send to a machine, but when I do get a thermwood I'd really like to see this feature in eCabinets.

Yes dreams are free, and reality is a little more costly, but still I say when.....
HP Pavilion DV6
2.27 gigahertz Intel Core i5 M 430
3064 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M
Windows 7 Home Premium

Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Halls Edge Inc

Postby Josh Rayburn » Tue, Dec 14 2010, 2:28PM

Hi Gary,
Your point about the users that have chimed in is a good point, and so I have been wondering how I could gain some additional support from the users who do not frequent the forum as well.
I don't want to make a headache for the TWD folks, but I really do feel that this would be one of the most value-added features that I can think of adding at this time. I'm just trying to figure out how to prove it.

The barb dado is a great concept, but since I have not tried it yet, I can't sing it's praise. I enjoyed Ken's video and it sure seems like it will work great. However, it is only applicable to veneer core materials, and we have a very diverse schedule of materials that we deal with on an everyday basis. (That's why I haven't tried it out yet) So as much as I love the idea, I bring it up only for the purpose of comparison to a feature (the pilot holes) that would apply to ALL materials and in ALL cabinets. Granted there are times when there's a finished end or some other reason why you might not want a pilot hole, but the real question is:

How many cabinetmakers out there screw their cabinets together?
Is the answer to that question not enough to justify it's practicality?
I would think this to be good ammo for the TWD sales team, since it would be highly practical to the largest percentage of potential machine buyers when added to and compared to the other hardware / software features.
jnr
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Win7 Professional 64 Bit/Core2Duo E8400 3ghz/4 GB Ram/NVIDIA Quadro FX570

Rob Davis
Guru Member

Postby Rob Davis » Tue, Dec 14 2010, 5:32PM

I like this idea too, with the concept that it can be turned on/off for certain joints (as in finished ends) and maybe this is why it is so hard to program for differences in a single cabinet.(?)
I am a daily Forum visitor, I am a CNC machinist, I DO send to a TWD machine in our shop, we drill holes manually and it is a real pain, pilot hole option would be great, I am less concerned about tool life than assembly time since the TWD can kick out cabinets faster than we can assemble them and labor time is more than a new bit!
All that said, TWD is the best investment we ever made even without pilot holes. Don't want to seem ungrateful for what we already have!

Gary Campbell
Guru Member
Company Name: ShopBot Tools Inc

Postby Gary Campbell » Tue, Dec 14 2010, 8:06PM

Josh...
I havent tried the barb joint yet either, but since we use mostly plywood, plan to soon. If it works anywhere near as well as the blind dados do, they have a sure winner.

I cant answer your "how many" question, but I do have contact with a lot a small shop owners, and virtually everyone screws cabinets together. Very few small shops have case clamps, horizontal boring or dowel insertion equipment. Many dont have an employee, and most would benefit greatly from CNC equipment. They are traditionally resistant to new methodology. It usually takes some time after implementation of a CNC machine to see them replace traditional methods of joinery with those that are only specific to CNC machining. Blind dados, rafix and puzzle joints are not the reason they want a CNC. In the beginning they want accuracy and repeatability of their existing methodology. I may have belonged to that group. :lol:
Gary Campbell
ShopBot Tools Production Support

ShopBot (eCabinets) Link Training & Support

Return to “eCabinet Systems Software”