How long did it take before the light came on?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

How long till you were competent with e cabs?

1 week
44%
1 month
11%
2 months
11%
longer
33%

Total votes: 9

Brian Bauer
Guru Member

How long did it take before the light came on?

Postby Brian Bauer » Thu, Nov 10 2005, 9:11PM

How long would you say it took you to get comfortable with e cabs design?

Ted Allen

How long

Postby Ted Allen » Thu, Nov 10 2005, 9:54PM

Brian,

I started out with Ecabs early on-don't remember the version. I don't build cabinets every day. I have a contracting business, building and remodling. And so I usually take a few cab jobs a year.
What I have done with each new version is just take the time to design a job with it. After doing one job I feel at home with the software. Not to say that I know everything there is to know but confident in my ability to do anything I need to do within a reasonable amount of time.
4.0 was the one with the steepest learning curve to me.

I suppose my answer to your question is less than 1 week. 2 to 4 days. Or put in another way after designing one small kitchen, Or one big assembly.

Hope this helps
Ted

DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Postby DanEpps » Thu, Nov 10 2005, 10:47PM

Brian

I couldn't really answer the poll because I'm still not \"competent\" with eCabinets in the way folks like Kerry Fullington is, but then I will probably never be in that league.

On the \"comfort\" side, I designed three entertainment centers with it the first day I had it. I started with version 4.09 so I didn't have the same learning (unlearning?) curve that others experienced coming from earlier versions. I had a few questions that were quickly answered by the Thermwood tech support team and I was off and running. It probably took me a couple of weeks before I felt that I could answer questions others had in the forum.

Dan

Jean G Voyer
Guru Member
Company Name: Janot Interiors Ltd

Postby Jean G Voyer » Thu, Nov 10 2005, 10:49PM

Brian,

You forgot a fift choice ' Still learning'
:oops:
Jean-Gabriel Voyer
Janot Interiors Ltd
www.customcabinetscalgary.com
Dell Precision PWS490, Intel Xeon CPU,3.00 GB Ram, Window XP Pro, Quadro Fx 3500

DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Postby DanEpps » Thu, Nov 10 2005, 10:53PM

Hey Jean,

You shouldn't heve the \"embarassed\" emoticon for \"still learning\". I heard a statement once that I like: \"The most important things I ever learned were those learned after I knew everything\". That was a father speaking to his teenaged son :lol:

Maybe the fifth choice could be (for me anyway), \"Never will be\".

Dan

Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Postby Brian Shannon » Thu, Nov 10 2005, 11:20PM

Brian,

I've been playing with it(eCabinet Systems) since V2. I haven't really been serious untill V4. I went though the learning guide, then took Dennis's class in Las Vegas. The visual thing works better for most of us. A lot of what was taught in class, I knew from the guide but still learned a lot from the class. From the looks of the forum, you have jumped in with both feet and are aggressivly going at it. Don't you have to stop and build cabinets sometimes?(lol). At that rate, you will pass most of us up soon and will be answering our questions because of experience. Where are you? Just south of Clear Lake? Bass Fishing?

Brian Shannon

Brian Bauer
Guru Member

Postby Brian Bauer » Thu, Nov 10 2005, 11:58PM

brian

yes i am just south of clear lake , don't fish much. i am almost finished designing my first set that will hopefully be built , stingy homeowners :evil:
really slow things down. yes i have to build look at the times i post late :shock: and sometimes early in between i build, deliver ,go get more matls.

To all : i really appreciate your input, it is better than the learning guide.

Business is booming in the wine country, growing pains are ever present
not enough room not enough machinery, not enough power. But i got plenty of work :P

Look in customer images soon for a shop pics thread im would love to see what others are using for production need ideas for the future.

Many Thanks It makes this software worth using

Brian Bauer Twin Lakes Cabinetry
Last edited by Brian Bauer on Sun, Nov 13 2005, 2:09PM, edited 1 time in total.

Jean G Voyer
Guru Member
Company Name: Janot Interiors Ltd

Postby Jean G Voyer » Fri, Nov 11 2005, 10:34AM

Dan,

I am not really embarrassed if I am still learning. I wanted to create an effect but it didn't work.
I am still learning because really I started to use E-Cabinet seriously with version 4 and there are a few parts of it that I hardly use because I find it buggy, at least on my computers it is. I just hope the upgrades will just make it a little friendlier, like it happened between version 3 and 4.
I worked with another software for the longest time but now it's 95% E-Cabinet and I am getting better at it. :roll:
Jean-Gabriel Voyer
Janot Interiors Ltd
www.customcabinetscalgary.com
Dell Precision PWS490, Intel Xeon CPU,3.00 GB Ram, Window XP Pro, Quadro Fx 3500

Brett Waldrop

Postby Brett Waldrop » Fri, Nov 11 2005, 4:08PM

I drew my first kitchen in about 10 hours and started building it a week later. I had a few problems but nothing to serious. Now I don't know everything like Kerry but I can draw a Large kitchen in about 5 to 8 hours and have everything I need for cut list and a nice drawing to show the customer.

I started with version 4.07 so the learning curve wasn't to bad other than the annoying bugs. And I still learn things just by browsing around on the forum and trying Ideas that you guys put up as others ask questions, so you guys help alot more people than just the ones who ask questions.

Thanks to all of you who support this forum it really helps me out.

Return to “eCabinet Systems Software”