Rear Panel Mounting Bracket Holes

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Brett Nelson
Company Name: Axiom

Rear Panel Mounting Bracket Holes

Post by Brett Nelson »

Is there yet in V6, functionality for associating a hole pattern for a rear mounting bracket for drawer slides that will automatically generate in the proper position on the back panel?

Do I still have to do this all manually in the part editor?
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Re: Rear Panel Mounting Bracket Holes

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Brett,

I think you will still have to do that manually but that is a feature I would really like to see implemented. There has been much talk about hole patterns in the back of drawer front for the "meta-box" systems and I would like to see something similar for mounting brackets in the backs.

I am working on a CNC cut library of face frame cabinets and I really don't want to pull my sides in to take advantage of slide mounting holes. I would rather continue to use the mounting brackets.

Kerry
Gary Campbell
Guru Member
Company Name: ShopBot Tools Inc

Post by Gary Campbell »

Careful Kerry... you are now starting to switch over to "the dark side". When you design with software you learn what the product CAN do. When you use it to machine, you find out what it CANT do. :)
Gary Campbell
ShopBot Tools Production Support

ShopBot (eCabinets) Link Training & Support
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Gary,

I can't blame this on the software. I am wanting to do something that probably shouldn't be done. If I want to take advantage of the machine to mill all my holes I should just bring the cabinet sides flush to the inside of the face frame and problem solved but I don't like the look and wasted space. (I will probably do this for low end spec house kitchens)
If I don't pull the sides in then I have to use a jig for the front slide mount I might as well continue to use a jig for the rear or I will just add the holes as part editor cuts as mine would actually have to go into stretchers instead of the back.
I am really struggling with this machine cut stuff. While I think machine cut parts will speed up my operation, I hate the "cookie cutter" appearance of factory produced cabinets.
Gary Campbell
Guru Member
Company Name: ShopBot Tools Inc

Post by Gary Campbell »

Kerry....
I agree on the holes. The PE or a jig is the only reasonable way to place those mounting holes. If I made predetermined widths or draw spacing, then I would use the PE to place holes in the seed backs. This doesnt occur often enough to make it worthwhile.

I disagree on the machining. As a custom builder,I really appreciate having square accurately placed dados, hardware holes and custom features cut into my parts. They can only look cookie cutter if we design them as cookie cutter. The time savings should allow you to spend time on the operations that you enjoy.

My problems seem to be more related to always having to redo, re constrain and taking seeds backwards, before I can go forwards. It seems that it shouldnt take longer to design a part, than to cut it.
Gary Campbell
ShopBot Tools Production Support

ShopBot (eCabinets) Link Training & Support