Cutting a part in PE

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Brian Timmermans
Company Name: bt.cabinetmaking

Cutting a part in PE

Post by Brian Timmermans »

I tried cutting a part in Part Editor by drawing a line across it and trimming off the lines I don't need, its not working am I doing the wrong steps? This is a piece of separate TK base that goes below an angled cabinet.
JohnLashuay
Guru Member
Company Name: Rylex Custom Cabinetry-Close

Re: Cutting a part in PE

Post by JohnLashuay »

Brian, try creating the closed contour in as a dxf file and then bring it into the contour editor and then cut it out. I find it to be much easier and faster than creating something in the part editor that is a little more than a simple geometry.

-John
Rylex Custom Cabinetry & Closets
http://www.rylexonline.com
Thermwood CS 43
Scott G Vaal
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Scott G Vaal »

Brian,

If you add your geometry that you are trying to use for cutting, then return to the cab editor (saving the changes). That will save the geometry with the part. Then, attach the cabinet here with any further steps you do. I will try it here and see what may be happening for you.
Regards,

Scott Vaal
-Thermwood/eCabinet Systems-
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM /NVIDIA Quadro K2000
Brian Timmermans
Company Name: bt.cabinetmaking

Post by Brian Timmermans »

Bear with me as I am still learning is there a video I can watch?
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

Brian,
There is a whole series or category of videos related to the Part Editor and Constraint Manager. You should see them listed. I don't know which specific video you need to see.

But if I understood your description. You can not just draw a line across something and then like a table saw cut through. You can draw a line that extends across and beyond the part. Then draw lines that connect around the waste area and off of the part, so that it forms a closed loop. In other words, all of the lines or arcs are connected. These lines are drawn in Contour Mode. When you go back to the Main screen of the Part Editor, right-click and select the option to cut with the closed contour. Then the area of the part that was surrounded by the closed contour will be eliminated.

The software isn't set up for you to take one panel and cut it into two parts, if that's what you are trying to do. You'd need to start with two panels, then use the Part Editor to reshape the part the way you want it.

Hope that helps. Go to the videos. You might have to start from the beginning, but it would probably help.

Enjoy.

Dennis Englert
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael S Murray »

Brian, if I undestand what your trying to do.
I use a rectangle and cover what I want to cut out and then right click, set to cut through and it will remove anything inside the rectangle.This could be half the part, a notch out of the part or the whole part...
You can do it with your mouse if not critical or do it with coordinates..
Mike Murray
Versatile Cabinet & Solid Surface
mike@versatilecabinet.com
http://www.versatilecabinet.com