Can't profile part?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Brian Timmermans
Company Name: bt.cabinetmaking

Can't profile part?

Post by Brian Timmermans »

I am trying to make some beaded columns following the video 7-04e except I want to run the profile to the edge.It won't allow it,come back "cannot apply the selected changes:the resulting part would have a non-manifold body".Would I need to shift my lines a hair off the edge to make it work?
Dennis Englert

Re: Can't profile part?

Post by Dennis Englert »

I've seen this message if you are try to cut all the way through, thus causing the program to think you're making two parts.

You could also post your part on this site and someone will give you a hand. It's always easier to see what you're talking about.

Dennis
Brian Timmermans

Here is the profile I am trying to produce.
Brian Timmermans

Can someone enlighten me, I managed to do the moulding as shown but in order for it to work I had to start the profile 1/16 in from the edge.Is there a reason II cannot run the profile through as you would with a shaper or router?
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Brian,

Post the tool file (.tol) that you are using for us to take a look.

Kerry
Brian Timmermans

Now I am really confused I can access x_t files but no tol files bear with me.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Brian,

You can post the .x_t file for that tool and I can create the tool from it. You will need to zip the file to post it.
Brian Timmermans

Heres the link to the zip file as you requested.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2117186/ecab%20zips.zip
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Brian,

If you will look at the origin lines (red) in the shape manager they are centered on your tool that has a 1/8" diameter.
tool_01.jpg
Because of this you must "Comp" the tool 1/16" left or right depending on which end of the board you start from or you get the cut on the left of this example.
tool_03.jpg
To get the profile cut like the right of this example without using comp you must create a tool like this with a 0 diameter.

tool_02.jpg

To make your molding I would do a tool that makes all the cuts in one pass to save time.

Kerry
Brian Timmermans

Maybe I am not understanding, the middle profile you made on the board did not go to the end because of the 1/8" at the end of the profile? I made one tool to make the cut in one pass but could not,the program popped up what I said earlier. If one was to make a crown profile on a board would you have to make your profile to the positive side of the x value?
Brian Timmermans

I guess my question also ties in with if I cannot a custom moulding profile right to the end of a board and you cannot cut across the profiled lines in geometric shapes, how do you put your own mouldings like crown, on your drawings with the profile lines having no continuity?
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Brian,

The profile in the middle of the board was done creating a tool path in Contour Mode that stopped short of the board. Your tool follows that tool path on center and does not need compensation.
Your tool without compensation on the edge of the board creates a shoulder as shown on the left side.

You can create any profile to the end of a board.

There are several videos on Thermwood's On line Training Series that will help you with the Part Editor and creating moldings.

Kerry
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

I've created the geometry for a profile similar to what you've shown in a previous illustration. The geometry is drawn similar to what the profile of a molder knife would be. I've drawn the profile at depth, so I don't have to remember what the depth is everytime I would use it. This was created for material that is 3" wide. This could be a Stile or Rail, Display Board, Display Panel or Display Cube.

After the tool is created and in your library, then create a part that is 3" wide by whatever length you need.

Edit the part in the Part Editor. Go to through the "blue" doors into Contour Mode. There you will create a line that is center line of the material. I, also extended the line 1/2" on each end of the board. Probably, not necessary. Return back to the first screen of the Part Editor. Select the tool option. select the line, then select the tool.

The profile is centered on the material, so no offsets are needed.

I've included the geometry and tool files. You will need to rename the files and change the extensions from .txt to .x_t and .tol.

Good Luck,

Dennis
Attachments
Bead-tool file.txt
(12.8 KiB) Downloaded 286 times
Bead-Geometry File.txt
(34.42 KiB) Downloaded 272 times
Tool Geometry.png
Tool Geometry.png (9.54 KiB) Viewed 8317 times
Molding Results.png
Brian Timmermans

Thanks I did create a tool like yours but what I failed to understand is that my profile path must start before the board and end after the board end.It drives me nuts how a simple step like that can stop you,I can see why some people give up on the program.Now I wish I could just create my own mouldings,import them into the moulding file and use the miter tool on them.