Problem with size of back panel

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

David Bean
Company Name: KGK Construction

Problem with size of back panel

Post by David Bean »

I just recently purchased a cnc and have been using ecabs for quite some time. I sized down a very basic frameless upper (basically a box) and tried to cut it on the cnc with blind dados. Everything cut fine except the back was about 3/4 too wide. I tried a second cabinet and the same thing. I'm not sure if it is the shopbot link or ecabs. The back dimensions are correct in the part list in the shopbot link but it gets cut wrong.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Re: Problem with size of back panel

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Welcome David. Can you post the job file (esj) and someone can have a look.
David Bean

Post by David Bean »

I went with a full dado on this one and the back is still 3/4"+ too wide.
Attachments
cnc test upper 2.esj
(208.02 KiB) Downloaded 288 times
Michael RA Greschuk

Post by Michael RA Greschuk »

Hello David
I just cut your test cab on my machine and it cut fine. The back is 19mm too large because it has to fit into the dadoes on the sides of the cab. I believe you have a depth of 9.5mm which would make it appear 19mm too big. Hope this helps
Mike :D
David Bean

Post by David Bean »

It is definately too wide. Whats strange is that its 7/8 which doesn't really corelate to anything(dado depth or side side thickness). In the shopbot link it is listed as the correct size, 9 1/4 x 10 1/2, but it cuts 10 1/8 x 10 1/2.

Thanks for the speedy reply!
Michael RA Greschuk

Post by Michael RA Greschuk »

Hi David,
When I cut your cabinet the finished back size 9.25 x 10.5. and like I said it went together well :? You might want to post something on the other forum. Maybe someone there knows whats up
Mike
David Bean

Post by David Bean »

Thanks Michael. It seems like it is a problem in the shopbot link. I have cut 4 test cabinets and they all have the same results. All the other parts are dead on.
Scott G Vaal
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Scott G Vaal »

David,

In the ShopBot link, load the job {*.twd} in question, perform a nest, then do an export (found on the main screen of the SB-Link). Send the {*.cab} file that it creates to cabinets@thermwood.com along with a brief explanation of you problem. Someone will take a look at it and see if we can reproduce your issue.
Regards,

Scott Vaal
-Thermwood/eCabinet Systems-
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM /NVIDIA Quadro K2000
David Bean

Post by David Bean »

Thanks Scott, I just sent it over.
Scott G Vaal
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Scott G Vaal »

David,

I loaded your export into my ShopBot link (which makes mine identical to yours) and cannot find any problems with it. I did the math on the G-code produced by the link and it is accurate to what it should be for all parts. I reversed posted the G-Code into our Cad-Cam program here and all values measure out correctly. Daniel here at Thermwood has also been looking at it and cannot find anything incorrect. I'm not sure what to tell you to try, and I am not trying to push the blame to the machine, but at this point it seems like we should look there first before anything else. Maybe try to cut the parts at a different location on the machine to see if it matters. Or better yet, filter out the back so that a different part will get cut in that corner of the sheet (or that area of the machine) and see if the same issue happens to a diff part. Let us know your results.
Regards,

Scott Vaal
-Thermwood/eCabinet Systems-
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM /NVIDIA Quadro K2000
David Bean

Post by David Bean »

seems that one of the values had been changed causing the y axis to move disproportionately to the x axis. We changed the value and everything cuts great. Hopefully it stays that way. Thanks to all that responded especially the Thermwood people. Can't wait till I can get one of those shiny Cabinetshop 45's!