angled corner cab

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Brian Timmermans
Company Name: bt.cabinetmaking

angled corner cab

Post by Brian Timmermans »

When drawing a frameless angle base cabinet,I enter front width 41, right and left depth 11 3/4 hit enter let the program work it's magic.When I hoover the mouse over the right or left gable it say's 12 1/2" depth. I thought that by leaving the back numbers alone the program would adjust them automatically is there some sort of hidden parameter for this cabinet.When I take a regular base cabinet and make the depth 11 3/4 it's all good, what's up?
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Re: angled corner cab

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Hi Brian, the program adds the thickness of the material to the width of the end to allow for mitering. the distance from the back to the short side of the miter will be 11.75".
Attachments
Corner.jpg
Brad McIntosh
Guru Member
Company Name: CNC Automation

Post by Brad McIntosh »

Brian,

So just in case, following on Rick's post -

If you want these left and right ends to actually be 11 3/4" right off the router, you need to first adjust the left and right depths to (11.75-0.75) 11.000". As Rick stated, eCab will then automatically add the material thickness to the cut width of the end component. This "adjustment" is necessary as eCab has been hard-coded to assume that you will be mitering the front edge of these ends and always adds the appropriate amount for the secondary saw operation later. So if you don't want the mitered end, you have to manually "cancel it out".

Note that the amount that eCab is adding to the width of the ends is based on the material thickness and the angle of the front. The use of the material thickness of 0.75" for the adjustment above is based on the assumption that the angled front is at 45 degrees. If it is at an angle other than 45 degrees, you would have to do a little trigonometry to figure out the left and right amounts to use for the adjustments.

It should also be noted that if you make the above adjustment, it is only valid for that particular material thickness. If you change the end materials thickness (either through a material change or an adjustment during TWD creation), then eCab will not adjust the "adjustment" end depth automatically. (You would need to edit corner cabinet and make the adjustments to the ends manually.)

Perhaps the eCabinet Systems' Team will add a "No Miter Front Edge" option to the Left and Right Ends (separately for added flexibility) for corner cabinets in the future. This would be similar to what they did with the transitions between the angled back sections.

Hope this helps further.
Brad McIntosh
CNC Automation

Home: http://www.cncautomation.com
Twitter: @bmcncautomation
Brian Timmermans
Company Name: bt.cabinetmaking

Post by Brian Timmermans »

Thanks for the info, just wondering as well,I have the first manual on ecab is it worth it to get the newest manual?
Wally Schneeberger
Guru Member

Post by Wally Schneeberger »

Brian Timmermans wrote:Thanks for the info, just wondering as well,I have the first manual on ecab is it worth it to get the newest manual?
Just a suggestion but you might want to try the online training. If you have 2 monitors set up you can follow along with it.