Add. Part Clearance

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Nat Wheatley
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Plymouth Custom Closets

Add. Part Clearance

Post by Nat Wheatley »

This appears to be added to the amount that's trimmed off of the edge of the sheet, and I'm not clear on why it would be. I'm using the SB Link.
http://www.plymouthcustomclosets.com

Dell Precision 490/ Intel Xeon 3.20 Ghz/3 GB RAM/ Nvidia Quadro FX 3450/ Windows XP, sp 3
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Halls Edge Inc

Re: Add. Part Clearance

Post by Josh Rayburn »

Nat,
The Collar setting will only increase the perimeter of the sheet that is unused. The Additional Part Clearance increases the amount of material left between all parts nested on the sheet which includes an additional inset from the edges of the sheet as well.
Does this help?
jnr
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Win7 Professional 64 Bit/Core2Duo E8400 3ghz/4 GB Ram/NVIDIA Quadro FX570
Nat Wheatley
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Nat Wheatley »

I see that how it's set up, I'm just not clear on why. When I'm increasing the spacing between parts, it's rare that I also want to add to this amount to the perimeter trim.

I typically don't nest to the edge of my sheets. As such, I have one of my fence settings located so that I can nest an individual part, and just do interior machining on the part, no outline cuts. Having spoiled a number of parts, I'm only now finding that if for some reason the 'Add Part Clearance' has been changed along the way, this changes the relation of these interior operations to the fences/part.

On these individual parts I realize I could check 'nest to edge of sheet' and use a 0,0 fence setting, but I like to avoid toggling settings back and forth whenever possible. More often than not I forget to switch the setting back, which can be a nuisance.

Dell Precision 490/ Intel Xeon 3.20 Ghz/3 GB RAM/ Nvidia Quadro FX 3450/ Windows XP, sp 3
Gary Campbell
Guru Member
Company Name: ShopBot Tools Inc

Post by Gary Campbell »

Nat...
You are thinking like a machinist, not a machine. If you add additional clearance, you add it to all 4 sides, unless you want to write 10,000 extra lines of code to determine parts that have an edge in common with the sheet edge. OOOOOOps, now I am talking like a programmer. :wall:
Gary Campbell
ShopBot Tools Production Support

ShopBot (eCabinets) Link Training & Support
Nat Wheatley
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Nat Wheatley »

Gary,

I'm sure you're right. I think the biggest issue was that I didn't realize the add. clearance was being added to the perimeter trim. Now that I do, it's only when I forget about it that it will be a problem...

Nat