changes in excel 2010

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Chris B Campbell

changes in excel 2010

Post by Chris B Campbell »

Hello,
I am using the import to excel in my batch's and find it's great for the board stock cut list only problem is to much information. I need only material, lengths,widths, component, and cabinet it is associated to. PERFECT! Problem I have is the cabinet No. is not necessary or the clients name or the total cabinet dimensions, or if it's an upper or base.
I have tried but I just don't excel at excel. Have any of you guys been able to manipulate this information can you help me to get only the information the guy needs to simply cut face frames without going blind looking at redundant information.

I appreciate your help, Thanks
Chris
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Re: changes in excel 2010

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Hi Chris, here is a link to an earlier discussion on editing in Excel. Hope this helps.
http://www.thermwood.com/forums/viewtop ... cel#p61592
Greg Nagy
Company Name: Barracuda Kitchens

Post by Greg Nagy »

Hi,
What does this old thread say? I don't have permission to read it.
Anyway, I have the same problem. The cells in excel have string format, not numeric. It is not possible to convert them into numeric automatically, because they are in millimeters, but if the length is bigger than 1000mm it is in meter. I can't describe how annoying this issue is. How can I customize the cutting list? Much less information would be much better in my opinion. Also, is it possible to get rid of the annoying cabinet part names and using only my own?
If anyone knows the answer please tell me.
Thanks,
Greg
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Greg,

You have to use features of Excel to clean up your cut list such as the find and replace to get rid of your excessive cabinet names. You must also use this same feature to eliminate the quotation marks after all the numbers. After the quotation marks are removed you can then convert the numeric text to real numbers, (I don't know about the millimeter/meter problem as I convert to Imperial inches and fractions.) You can remove any unwanted columns and then sort and arrange the information to suit your needs. Once you have figured all this out you can record a Macro to automate this procedure.
This all takes some thought and work but in the end you get a usable cut list.

Kerry
Greg Nagy
Company Name: Barracuda Kitchens

Post by Greg Nagy »

Yeah, I was afraid I have to make a pretty complicated excel macro to convert the cutting list to my panel saw optimizer prog. I hoped I could avoid it somehow.
Anyway, ecabinet systems is a pretty amazing software because despite of it is FREE, its a very versatile and powerful tool. It has some problems though.
Is there any place in this forum where the users can advise the developers what things should be fixed or changed in the future versions?
I have just started using this software, made a few jobs with it (mostly kitchens, but some wardrobes as well), and I have to say I would be absolutely happy with ecab. systems without these issues.
Regards,
Greg
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Greg,

This is a view of the Sheet Components tab before the macro
cutlist_01.jpg
and after,
cutlist_02.jpg
You might want to look into Thermwood's Code Splitter software if you want to output eCabinets to your panel saw.