Door and Drawer materials

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Heath Doty
Company Name: Jahabow

Door and Drawer materials

Post by Heath Doty »

Greetings,

I'm a very new user of eCabinet Systems. I'm using it to develop a cabinetry line that is more commercial/institutional in nature.

I'm already stuck on the first cabinet in the new library I'm trying to create. :shock:

This first cabinet is a "cup dispenser" cabinet where I've taken an open carcass, added an 8" drawer face flush on the front (overlay - full width - no drawer box) an adjustable shelf and 2 doors below the drawer front. I've also raised up the end panels to the deck so the only item touching the floor is the toe kick. Some of this was done in the individual editors and some in the "Construction Settings".

I've successfully added 3x holes in the drawer front (approx. 5" dia.) that will serve as support for cup dispenser tubes commonly seen in convenient stores. I did that in the "Part Editor".

I've created a basic white sheet material that I'm setting up to represent our white high pressure laminate covered material. I've assigned this to the carcass using the "Construction Settings". I created another variation of this material for our black laminate that I applied to the toe kick successfully.

What I cannot seem to change is the material of this new custom drawer front or the doors. There is no provision to change it in "Construction Settings" as there seems to be for most other components.

I also need to bring in a couple external component from our CAD system. I can output either .STL or .HSF(?)(HOOPS?). I managed to successfully import one item but for the life of me I can't seem to do it again. That can be a topic for a later discussion though... I REALLY need help getting these materials adjusted.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Heath
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Re: Door and Drawer materials

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Heath,

You will need to create a new door and drawer front in the Door/Drawer Front designer using the new material and save them. You can then open your cabinet in the Cabinet Editor and go to the Door/Drawer Front Editor and delete the existing drawer front and choose the new front with the correct material as default and apply it to your cabinet. You will most likely need to re-do your part editor cuts.

I would use stretchers for your parts you need to cut holes in. Much easier to change materials.

Kerry
Heath Doty

Post by Heath Doty »

Thanks Kerry,

There are so many inconsistencies with the functionality of this software and being someone who has 20+ years of CAD experience the workflow, syntax and methodologies here are quite unconventional.

I'm getting there but I spent hours trying to figure this out and the solution is quite unintuitive. I re-made the cup dispenser panel in the front as a stretcher... was unable to alter the color/material after the fact. For now, it's black and that's what we're going to display at the demo' so I'm not sweating it just yet.

I certainly appreciate your help. I have a major presentation next week showcasing the power of this software in front of our entire sales, marketing and many potential customers. I'm just about to hit the panic button as I simply have mapped my brain to a completely different sort of construction methodology.

Now, on to try and get some custom hardware applied to this cabinet. We will be using pedestal legs w/ adjusters to support these cabinets (the side panels stop at the base deck). This is to conform to certain building codes. The toe kicks are clipped on to the legs :)

I've had a lot of trouble already trying to position items... but that will be another thread after I give it some more tries.

Thanks again for all your help!
George Davidson
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by George Davidson »

Hi Heath
Have you looked into e-Cabinet Systems on line training It has helped me a lot
http://www.ecabinetsystems.com/ecabinet ... raries.htm
Heath Doty

Post by Heath Doty »

Thanks, I've thought about it and I think I'll spring for it tomorrow.

I've got to make some better progress over the next day or two.

Thanks for all the help!
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Heath,

eCabinet Systems Software seems un-intuitive to you because you are looking at it as a CAD application. It is not. eCabinets is cabinet design and manufacturing software. eCabinet Systems is a whole different genre of software to CAD. Look at it as a virtual cabinet shop. It operates like a cabinet shop. Forget how you would like eCabinets to work based on your CAD experience and learn how eCabinets works.

Purchase the Almost Complete Guide to eCabinets and read it. Subscribe to the training videos if that works better for you.
Make sure you have the Learning Mode turned on in the eCabinets Software and click on the ? symbols that are everywhere in the software. This will take you directly to the help menu for whatever section or editor you are presently working in. The most important thing is to stop thinking like a draftsman and think like a cabinet maker.

I always advise people who are just beginning the learning process with eCabinets to never try to do a real job with it that has a deadline while still exploring the software. eCabinets is a very complex software and the pressure of a deadline will only frustrate you and complicate that learning process.

Before you can use eCabinets you must set it up. Create all the materials you are going to need. If you want a black 5/8" melamine material for your projects you must create that material first and have it in your inventory. Make sure that the material you create copies the material in real life. (example: if the sheet stock is 49" X 97" in real life then make sure your eCabinets material is also. You can use nominal thickness for your materials.) Create all the sheet materials, board stock, edge banding and counter top materials you will need for the current project. Add all the hardware that will be necessary for the project. Define all your dimension parameters and create any hardware hole patterns that you will need.
You should also design the doors and drawer fronts that you will use for the project and create your standard drawer boxes.

When all this is done you are ready to open one of the Standard Cabinets and start defining your construction parameters. In the Cabinet Editor, open construction settings and go through every tab there assigning materials and construction parameters (joinery) Make sure all parameters match exactly how you want the cabinet built in real life. It should include all the correct material, joinery, doors, drawer boxes, hardware and hardware hole patterns. Once you have completed this you have your first "Seed" cabinet. Follow this process for base, upper, tall, island, base corner, and upper corner cabinets. (both pie cut and angle front corners) If you used detached or ladder toe kicks, create those also.

You are now ready to start creating a cabinet library.

For your custom hardware,

You can open .stl or .hsf files in the Display Part Editor where you can modify them and add an appropriate image texture. You can save them from there and use them as Display objects.
Display objects can be added in the cabinet editor or in custom layout. To move them you can click on the object to select it then hold the ctrl key and the right mouse button and drag the object, or you can select the object and hole the shift key and use the four arrow keys to move it by the distance defined by your Move Increment. (this can be any distance starting at 1/32" or 1mm) You can also use the align feature in the cabinet editor to place objects. Be sure to associate your object to your cabinet or it will not save with your cabinet. Objects can be moved in a similar manner in Custom Layout but must be associated to walls to move vertically.

I hope some of this advise helps. eCabinets is truly amazing software and I dare say, can most likely design any cabinet you can dream up but it won't happen in a few days.

If you get stumped, don't wrestle with if for hours on end. Post here for an answer or you can email me directly at kerry@kerryfullington.com.
Heath Doty

Post by Heath Doty »

Thanks Kerry,

I certainly appreciate the advice and the analysis of my thought processes :D

I too realized very soon that my problems are NOT necessarily issues with the software but with me. My 20+ years of 3D solid parametric modeling and hierarchical associative assemblies are actually a hindrance to being open minded when it pertains to this software. I'm so used to being able to model anything effortlessly and then change any aspect of it at any moment - I'm certainly a spoiled CAD brat!!! :lol:

I'm getting there and the tips and suggestions are helping me tremendously. Each one has helped me very much and I really appreciate it. I even received a nice personal message from a member, and that was very appreciated.

Fortunately for me, at this time, I'm not manufacturing anything using this software that is up against a deadline. I only have to put on a dog and pony show to exhibit the capabilities of the software next week (at a trade show, yikes!). But no worries, with your help thus far I've made some huge strides and have really learned a lot.

Thank you!
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Heath,

ECabinets will become just as effortless over time and if properly set up you should be able to edit most any part to get the results you want in the end. The method of editing is probably different to what you are used to.

Kerry