Cabinet to Wall Clearance - Corner Cabinet?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Heath Doty
Company Name: Jahabow

Cabinet to Wall Clearance - Corner Cabinet?

Post by Heath Doty »

Greetings all,

I've dug around for a couple hours on this and I can't seem to find any info on why I can't get this to work.

I've taken a library corner cabinet and converted it to an angled front, plus modified it in a few other way to suit my library construction methodology. No problems there.

The problem is this corner cabinet will not conform to my settings regarding "Cabinet to Wall Clearance".

I need all my cabinets to be 6" from the wall and all my base cabinets work fine under these parameters:

Edit (pulldown menu) --> Settings/Preferences --> Cabinet to Wall Clearance

I have this set at 6" and as stated... the base cabinets work fine.

This corner cabinet however still inserts itself all the way into the corner.

I even tried modifying a wall cabinet thinking that maybe it would work better... it would put one side up against the wall and the other backside would position itself 6" away from the wall... well, I'm halfway there but no cigar yet.

My only workaround is to position the corner cabinet flush in the corner, then move to an elevation and move it. But the cabinet is always positioned at some odd and nonsensical dimension that I must subtract 6" from. Then I have to do this from another elevation to get the other dimension set. After that I can drop in my other cabinets just fine. The problem is... there's no way I'll be able to get my sales team to "figger" this one out. :roll:

Is there a way to control a corner cabinet so it will offset itself from an interior corner by 6" in both directions?

Thanks for any help, guidance, etc.!!!
Wally Schneeberger
Guru Member

Re: Cabinet to Wall Clearance - Corner Cabinet?

Post by Wally Schneeberger »

Try putting a 6" scribe sheet stock on each side. Use a DoNotCut material. Just a quick thought.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Heath,

This has the appearance of a bug or an oversight> (Or it could be by design. Corner cabinets seem to play by their own rules)

To get you by:
If you will snap your corner cabinet to one of the walls away from the corner it will snap the 6" away from the wall.
Now go to that wall elevation view and click the cabinet to select it.
If it needs to be 6" from the right corner simply enter 6" in the right corner numerical entry box under Position on Wall
the cabinet will move into place.
heath_01.jpg
You can also use formulas in these boxes to move cabinets.
If your cabinet is 69 9/32 from the left wall and you want to move it 48" just click after the 69 9/32 in the entry box and type in + or - 48" to move it the direction you want. (make sure you eliminate the " sign before typing the rest of your formula.

Kerry
Heath Doty

Post by Heath Doty »

Wally Schneeberger wrote:Try putting a 6" scribe sheet stock on each side. Use a DoNotCut material. Just a quick thought.

Thanks Wally... Actually, before I found the more global setting that positioned the cabinets away from the wall I was hiding a small stretcher behind the cabinets that forced it to stand away from the walls :D

I may have to do the same with the corner cabinet. I haven't gotten far into understanding how to set up a "donotcut" material but I will probably search for some info on that.

THANKS!
Heath Doty

Post by Heath Doty »

Kerry,

Thanks!

I guess I didn't realize that it would offset correctly in one direction... just not both. I simply wasn't giving the software time to react to my furious mouse movements!

I was able to successfully duplicate exactly what you suggested and it worked great. That saves me from having to enter in the dimensional information twice as I was doing (I was placing it in the corner and then going to both elevations and changing the dimension).

I still may put a hidden stretcher on the back though so it's easy for our salespeople to place these items.

However, wink wink... I'd love for these corner cabinets to drop in as defined by the placement parameters. Maybe we can get that on a Thermwood wish list? :beer:
Wally Schneeberger
Guru Member

Post by Wally Schneeberger »

Heath Doty wrote:
Wally Schneeberger wrote:Try putting a 6" scribe sheet stock on each side. Use a DoNotCut material. Just a quick thought.
I haven't gotten far into understanding how to set up a "donotcut" material but I will probably search for some info on that.
THANKS!
Just open up -- Define materials -- and use a Generic 3/4" stock sheet material and rename it -- Donotcut. then save it in your materials for when you need it. You can use any colour you want to distinguish it.
Brad McIntosh
Guru Member
Company Name: CNC Automation

Re: "Do Not Cut" Materials

Post by Brad McIntosh »

Just another suggestion about "Do Not Cut" materials if you are sending jobs out to a Thermwood...

If you set the sheet size up as 1"x1" (yes, one inch by one inch) then Control Nesting will "automatically filter" any parts assigned to it. * It will actaully give you a "Warning!" that it could not nest the parts in the 1"x1" material - but it works nevertheless and you will never forget to manually filter out that material.
Brad McIntosh
CNC Automation

Home: http://www.cncautomation.com
Twitter: @bmcncautomation
Gary Campbell
Guru Member
Company Name: ShopBot Tools Inc

Post by Gary Campbell »

Brad makes a good point. This also works when using the ShopBot Link. All "DoNotCut" sheetgoods are not nested. Brad's 1" by 1" sheets were smaller than mine, but works the same.
Gary Campbell
ShopBot Tools Production Support

ShopBot (eCabinets) Link Training & Support