Drawer Front hole patter

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Wayne Adelkopf
Company Name: Noble Woodworks Inc.

Drawer Front hole patter

Post by Wayne Adelkopf »

How do I go about creating hole patterns in the back of drawer fronts in the hardware hole editor?
Jason Stephenson
Company Name: Marks Joinery

Re: Drawer Front hole patter

Post by Jason Stephenson »

Wayne What we have got set up is that when you make a draw box up we take the front of the draw box to part editor and put 5mm holes ie (30mm down and 30mm across) where you need them then constraint them so that when the draw height changes the holes remain in the same spot. Hope this helps
Jason
Nat Wheatley
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Plymouth Custom Closets

Post by Nat Wheatley »

Wayne,

I'm fairly sure you'll need to do thst manually, with the part editor and constraint manager. I believe the option to do it with the hardware hole editor will be part of the next release?

Nat
http://www.plymouthcustomclosets.com

Dell Precision 490/ Intel Xeon 3.20 Ghz/3 GB RAM/ Nvidia Quadro FX 3450/ Windows XP, sp 3
Wayne Adelkopf
Company Name: Noble Woodworks Inc.

Post by Wayne Adelkopf »

Thanks Gents,
I did it manually in the part editor and CM.
jason galbraith
Company Name: Eastcoast Ultimate

Post by jason galbraith »

"I believe the option to do it with the hardware hole editor will be part of the next release?"

Oh, I wish.....
Core i7-2600 @ 3.70Ghz - 8 GB ram - Win 7 Ultimate 64bit - 2 x 24" ASUS monitors - Nvidia 600 Quadro 1GB graphics
www.eastcoastultimate.com.au
Nat Wheatley
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Plymouth Custom Closets

Post by Nat Wheatley »

Not so? I had thought the next release (not the 'time patch' due out shortly) would accommodate drilling drawer fronts for metal drawer systems. I gave up trying to draw these holes manually, and bought an Ecopress about a year ago to do the drilling. I'm feeling about the level of frustration toward the time wasted manually drawing holes for knobs and pulls.

The software is great, but clearly has some blind spots.
http://www.plymouthcustomclosets.com

Dell Precision 490/ Intel Xeon 3.20 Ghz/3 GB RAM/ Nvidia Quadro FX 3450/ Windows XP, sp 3
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Post by Neville Bastian »

Add me as a frustrated user about the drawer issue. There are a number of area's that need fixing for efficiency which is the main thrust of Ken's Susnjara books involving the manufacturing industry. To be more efficent the software needs to grow and for some reason all growth has stopped in the last 18 months.
There are reasons for this which are kept to Thermwood. If resources are the issue maybe its time to relook at users paying for support. Have two versions. One stuck at 2010 and one that continues to develop based on income recieved. Hopefully enough users would sign up and keep a couple of programmers on Ecabinets development each year.
If I had any other cad/cam program from another supplier this would be a cost anyway.
Just my 2 cents worth
Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael S Murray »

I'm with Neville,
I would gladly pay my share for improvements, its that or give it to some one else, and THM has been good to all of us and I would rather give them my money.
I have been saying this for a while, With the economy what it is, I cant see router sales supporting e-cabs alone. I am grateful for what has been done, I am 100% happy with my machine, 100% happy with THM as a company,
But I need several improvements to e-cabs and would be happy to give them my money other than go some where else.
I don't know if most people know this, but e-cabs would cost at least 12-15 k if you had to purchase, and that is conservative.

I am sure most of the part timers, garage guys, Hobbiest , etc would not appreciate it, but maybe that's where the 2 versions come in.
Heres what we got now, if you want it for free, have at it.
If you want the upgrades/or new software, here's the cost.
Mike Murray
Versatile Cabinet & Solid Surface
mike@versatilecabinet.com
http://www.versatilecabinet.com
dan krage
Company Name: Modern Wood Elements Inc

Post by dan krage »

Well, I'm experiencing this "feature" as I write this...oh joy.

I have a small shop only doing European frameless cabinetry (for kitchens, built-ins, etc) using Blum Metabox and Tandembox Intivo.
Recently, I acquired a new CNC and decided upon eCabs <-> SBlink as it seemed to be what I needed, and the limited software investment was unbeatable.
I knew going in, via forum lurking, that there would be some challenges adapting to the eCabs methods especially as applied to metal box drawers. Having lots of CAD experience in past lives, and using SketchUp Pro extensively in my biz I wasn't too scared.
The good news is that with some learning-curve-time, only a medium/small sized dead-blow hammer, and a firm grasp of the particular variant of the "32mm System" one adheres to along with some hardware standards, one can beat out a nice 32mm "euro" library.

Except for front fixing bracket holes. :wall:

So, I have two Blum MSP's with dedicated setups for door drilling and drawer front drilling...problem solved, move on I guess.

Yet still, add me to the list of users who would ABSOLUTELY SEND MONEY to buy a "premium/pro/advanced" version of eCabs that would elegantly support metal sided drawers and be a bit more 32mm friendly.

I have to applaud TW for making this sort of advanced CAD/CAM specific to cab making available to little shops like mine. Yes, I could likely output a "massaged" library from my SketchUp Pro dynamic library I created to eventually get to a CNC, but could you imagine the time and effort required to get to nesting, buy lists, etc., etc.?
Dan Krage
Modern Wood Elements, Inc.
http://www.modernwoodelements.com