How to create fluted coloumns / arched panels?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

markvan

How to create fluted coloumns / arched panels?

Post by markvan »

So I've been using ecabinets for quite a few years now, but have never really gotten into some aspects of the program. Just worked within the constraints of what I know well, and made it work as best as I could.

I'm currently working on a project that I really can't present as I would like, with what I know how to design it in ecabinets. I know the software is incredibly more capable than my limited abilities to use it.

If I can get some help on how to create fluted fillers, and some arched panels, preferably shaped more like a cathedral style door, it would go a long way to more accurately display the overall feel of the finished product. I am designing a large wall unit, not having these features in pictures for the customer is just too much to leave out....just the regular cabinets I'm used to drawing won't portray things accurately.

I know I've played around a bit in the past trying to create the fluted fillers....(never got one finished, but had a piece with some type of shaping in it....) Now I need to create it and I can't figure out how to start! Even just pointing me where in the help manual to look would be good.... I searched and can't even find the starting point for these processes. I'm lost...

Thanks,
Mark.
Wayne Adelkopf
Company Name: Noble Woodworks Inc.

Re: How to create fluted coloumns / arched panels?

Post by Wayne Adelkopf »

MARK:
The forum is a good place to get questions answered. However, there are even better sources that will answer your questions perfectly;
1- The nearly complete guide to eCabinets Systems
http://www.woodworkerswholesale.com/Gui ... bb0850.htm

2 - Online Training
http://www.ecabinetsystems.com/ecabinet ... aining.htm
Wally Schneeberger
Guru Member

Post by Wally Schneeberger »

markvan wrote:So I've been using ecabinets for quite a few years now, but have never really gotten into some aspects of the program. Just worked within the constraints of what I know well, and made it work as best as I could.

I'm currently working on a project that I really can't present as I would like, with what I know how to design it in ecabinets. I know the software is incredibly more capable than my limited abilities to use it.

If I can get some help on how to create fluted fillers, and some arched panels, preferably shaped more like a cathedral style door, it would go a long way to more accurately display the overall feel of the finished product. I am designing a large wall unit, not having these features in pictures for the customer is just too much to leave out....just the regular cabinets I'm used to drawing won't portray things accurately.

I know I've played around a bit in the past trying to create the fluted fillers....(never got one finished, but had a piece with some type of shaping in it....) Now I need to create it and I can't figure out how to start! Even just pointing me where in the help manual to look would be good.... I searched and can't even find the starting point for these processes. I'm lost...

Thanks,
Mark.
Do a search in 3D Images for FLUTES and you will find a lot of info along with some already made flutes.
As for how to make an arch check for how to use the PART EDITOR it really is quite easy.
Jim Carter
Company Name: Jim Carter Corp.

Post by Jim Carter »

Mark
Go to shape manager and create a ball nose shape for the size flutes you want.
Make it into a tool on the same page.
Go to cabinet/ assembly editor and create a display panel out of your preferred material the size of or larger then the finished product is going to be.
Select the panel and go to part editor, and then into the contour area. Right click and select “create edges”, drawing commands to create center lines for the flutes you want.
Exit contour area and select profile edge, single, select line, next, choose your tool, apply depth of flute as a negative number.
Click OK, save changes to main and you have it.
Same method for creating arched panels but you will right click after exiting contour area and choose creat part using closed contour.
This is simplified instructions but these are the tools you will want to use.
Good luck.
jim@jimcartercorp.com
973-224-0221
Ringwood, New Jersey
markvan

Post by markvan »

Big thanks Jim for the excellent directions on how to create the flutes!!

Was super easy to do.... (atleast after I figured out I couldn't just make my tool at any random co-ordinate with in the shape manager....) For anyone else attempting this, keep the centre of your tool at coordinates 0,0. This will ensure you are actually cutting into material, and you can adjust the plunge depth as necessary in the part editor. Follow Jim's directions and you should have no problems.

Thanks again.... now I'm off to tackle the arched panels.

Mark.