Door panels from sheet goods and nesting

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Frank Shannon
Company Name: Frank Shannon Designs

Door panels from sheet goods and nesting

Post by Frank Shannon »

Does eCabinet support plywood for door panels. If so what about a nesting diagram for the panels?

It does it for drawer bottoms so I was just wondering. Thought I'd ask before giving up.
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Re: Door panels from sheet goods and nesting

Post by Scott Marshburn »

Sorry Frank unless I am mistaken ECabinets only allows a board stock to be selected for door panels for there five piece doors. It will however create a cut list that you could get the panel sizes from and then you could use a cabinet with every thing deleted except for the back then resize and batch.
Simon Randall
Company Name: westone-group.com

Post by Simon Randall »

I have just looked at this and it does (thank good) go to Door/Drawer front designer
then (i am looking at the Thermwood standard door2) click on "Details for Cut List" then you set panel details there.
Thanks
Simon
Frank Shannon

Post by Frank Shannon »

That's what I do. I use a bottom so that I get a good representation in the plan of the job window. Maybe someday.

For what it's worth, I haven't found this in any other cabinet package either, at any price. They give a drawing and a cut list which is fine as far as it goes. But if you 45 doors and drawer fronts it can come to several expensive sheets. I used kirei for some doors and it was almost $300 a sheet for 36x72x19mm sheets. Way more expensive than a panel made from domestic hardwood. You better believe I was looking for a nesting diagram.
Simon Randall

Post by Simon Randall »

sorry for that but all i will be doing is adding the sheet's of ply in as board (as even if I was using a CNC it should still work).
Thanks
Simon
Simon Randall

Post by Simon Randall »

is it a plan shaker door you are looking for with like 6mm ply centre panel (flat both side's) and H/wood frame?
Thanks
Simon
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Post by Scott Marshburn »

Simon Randall wrote:sorry for that but all i will be doing is adding the sheet's of ply in as board (as even if I was using a CNC it should still work).
Simon Ecabinets will not nest board stock it has to be a sheet stock in order to nest.
Frank Shannon

Post by Frank Shannon »

I have a solution of sorts.

First, create an edgebanding that is the width of your stile minus the depth you want the panel to go into the grove. For instance, say you have a 3" stile with a 1/2" groove for the panel and you want the panel to go 7/16" into the groove. Make the thickness of your edgebanding 2 9/16".

The set up a slab door with the panel material you want and use your new wide edgebanding stock.

Slab doors DO produce a nest as well as a cut list. So you'll get a nest of your door panels.

There's one obvious and pretty big limitation to this method. The rails and stiles have to be the same width. But it's a something anyway.
Frank Shannon

Post by Frank Shannon »

Simon Randall wrote:is it a plan shaker door you are looking for with like 6mm ply centre panel (flat both side's) and H/wood frame?
Yes, just a plain door.
John J. Desmond
Company Name: American Millwork Company

Post by John J. Desmond »

I use display panel. I type in each panel. I added 1/4" material size in 4x8 sheet. I enter each panel and it nests it for me that way. I just cut from the print outs. It takes a bit longer but it gives me the exact size I need and I can cut from the nest print out. I do the same thing for laminate and particle board for tops. For laminate I added a sheet stock of 60 x 144 and 48 x 96. I just type in the sizes I need and it lays it out for me. Particle board is no different. I entered a sheet stock of 49 x 97 and do the same thing. Works great.

John Desmond