Part editor problem

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Tim Massa

Part editor problem

Post by Tim Massa »

Has anyone come across this one? I've had a difficult time with the part editor crating a part using closed contour. I've never had this message but thought someone else might have encountered it and if so is there a solution.

Thanks for any help,
Tim
Attachments
Part editor trouble.jpg
Scott G Vaal
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Re: Part editor problem

Post by Scott G Vaal »

Tim Massa wrote:Has anyone come across this one? I've had a difficult time with the part editor crating a part using closed contour. I've never had this message but thought someone else might have encountered it and if so is there a solution.

Thanks for any help,
Tim
Tim,

Post the cabinet or whatever this item is so we can take a look at it. Make sure we have the geometry for the shape you are trying to create using closed contour.
Regards,

Scott Vaal
-Thermwood/eCabinet Systems-
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM /NVIDIA Quadro K2000
Simon Randall
Company Name: westone-group.com

Post by Simon Randall »

the last time I got this error when I look at what and where I was doing the cut I found I should of been doing it on the back and not the front as a cut on the front would of put the item in to 2 parts just like the error told me.

so look at any other cuts you have made on the item.
Thanks
Simon
Tim Massa

Post by Tim Massa »

Hi Scott,

Here is the cabinet assembly with an upper standard cabinet being modified as a roll out tray. The DXF geometry file doesn't seem to be allowed to post so I will try getting that file to you some other way.

Thanks for the help,
Tim
Attachments
Stair cab.esa
(814.02 KiB) Downloaded 369 times
Simon Randall
Company Name: westone-group.com

Post by Simon Randall »

place it in a folder and zip it
Thanks
Simon
Tim Massa

Post by Tim Massa »

Thanks Scott & Randall,

Busy Monday but I finally managed to figure out how to Zip a file in Win7 (still getting used to the levers and controls). Thanks for having a look at it.

Tim
Attachments
Stai roll out.zip
(18.98 KiB) Downloaded 365 times
Scott G Vaal
Thermwood Team

Post by Scott G Vaal »

Tim,

I think you may be choosing the wrong option. If I select {Create Part Using Closed Contour}, it works fine. Although, if I choose {Cut/Pocket Using Closed Contour}, I get the error message you are mentioning. Not 100% sure why it gives the message when you Cut/Pocket but I believe it has to do with the fact that your part is 12.875" wide and your DXF geometry is drawn at 12.8761" wide (over shoots a small amount). This causes a finite point in what I would call the scrap when cut away. So, try using {Create Part Using Closed Contour} and let me know if it works for you.
Regards,

Scott Vaal
Scott G Vaal
Thermwood Team

Post by Scott G Vaal »

Tim,

Upon further examination, there is actually a small amount of the part that extends beyond the bottom of your geometry witch tapers from one end to the other. You have to zoom in real tight to see it. (only .0007" but is indeed there). When cut, it would leave this as a disjoint body. So, there is good reason for the error message. When you Create Part Using Closed Contour it discards any amount of the part outside the contour, thus not causing the disjoint situation. Hope this helps clarify what is going on here.
Regards,

Scott Vaal
Tim Massa

Post by Tim Massa »

Thanks Scott,

I haven't seen any more issues in this job with the part editor so that makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to look at it. I'll know next time to look closely at the geometry when I get the message.

Tim