adding drawers behind doors

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

KyleHepp

adding drawers behind doors

Post by KyleHepp »

I'm trying to add drawers behind doors, and I'm not having successful results. in fact, I'm experiencing some erratic behavior, for instance, I go to the door/drawer editor, hide the doors, and select the area I want to add a drawer. sometimes it works, sometimes I can't even select the area. I'm guessing there is a much easier way to do this, and would appreciate any advice.

The other minor difficulty I'm having, is with laying applied panels to ends, backs and for use as wainscot. Rotating the object isn't working very well, sometimes I can set it to 180 or 270 degrees, other times it just refuses to allow the desired degree, and instead goes to 91 or 89 degrees instead of 90, no matter how many times I set it to 90 and lock it. and suggestions? or is this just the way it is?

thanks,
Kyle
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Re: adding drawers behind doors

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Hey Kyle, can you post the cab file so we can take a look. Your other issue may be graphics card related, can you post you computer specs.
Brad McIntosh
Guru Member
Company Name: CNC Automation

Post by Brad McIntosh »

Kyle,

You will use the "Door/Drawer Editor" (the icon with the door and drawer front on it) to place you doors on the cabinet. You will then need to exit that editor and go into the "Drawer Box Editor" (the little icon with a drawer and DBX above it). This will allow you to place drawer boxes in the space behind the doors. (Similar to roll-outs.)

Hope this helps....
Brad McIntosh
CNC Automation

Home: http://www.cncautomation.com
Twitter: @bmcncautomation
KyleHepp

Post by KyleHepp »

I'm running on a Dell Workstation/XP that is a couple years behind the times , the graphics/sound were the latest greatest for their time, but even though it's not the newest system, it does 10x better with ecabs than my old dinosaur did. (it could barely render a few cabinets without siezing-up and crashing)

I figured out the rotation issue, if I set placement to "Freestyle" first, I have no problem setting the rotation degrees to anything desired. from there, I can re-select "place to back" ...

Thanks so much for the help, that trip to the drawer editor spawned a whole lot inspiration, and my design is nearly finished (only 14hrs at the wheel ;) )

I'd like to add "furniture" type feet to the bottoms of the cabs, actually, just some simple scroll cut facia boards attached front flush in front of the toekicks on a few of the cabs is really all that's needed. I've been reading about how to use the part-cutting editor, but I'm wondering if there isn't an easier way to do this? -nothings worse than 'reinventing the wheel'!
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Post by Scott Marshburn »

someone correct me if I am wrong but I would I think you would have to use a display board , display panel or a display cube all of witch would not be reasizable.unless you used a stretcher then with the correct constraints it would resize. And yes you would have to make all of your cuts in part editor. Then take that part into constraints editor and apply the proper constraints.As far as the furniture feet goes.
Scott G Vaal
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Scott G Vaal »

You can also take a cabinet and remove all parts except lets say the back for this case. Now you can size it, shape it, constrain it, and save it with a name pertinent to what it is. Now you can load this single part cabinet in with another main cabinet as many times as needed, then save as an assembly. In other words, you can create a library of parts that may need to use over and over by just using a cabinet that consists of one component. This way you can constrain and re-size if needed. Or, if it is just a one up thing, just load a generic cabinet in, reduce it to one part, Swiss-cheese it up all you need, and then do not worry about saving it as a library item.
Regards,

Scott Vaal
-Thermwood/eCabinet Systems-
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM /NVIDIA Quadro K2000