Oi vai, these corner cabs!

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Tim Massa

Oi vai, these corner cabs!

Post by Tim Massa »

Started in on this cab shortly after noon and I still can't get it. I've included a cabinet file that I last worked on and a DXF file of what the cabinet is supposed to be viewed from the top. It is going into a concrete alcove and will have some heat generating appliances. Hence the vent slots in the top.
After struggling with this one all afternoon it's starting to occur to me that maybe it can't be done in E-cabs and I ought to start thinking of another cutting strategy for this. It's been a long afternoon of playing with the depth and width 'Center Of Angle's' settings and 'Left Back Flush'.
The dxf file has a zillion dimensions to try and get these settings figured out. None seem to work and the feed back I'm getting from the cabinet changes that are allowed to occur are not obvious. Does anyone have a handle on these corner cab controls and could they explain them. I cant get my head wrapped around them and the help menu hasn't cleared it up for me either.

Thanks for any advice,

Tim
Attachments
Lft Pantry Cab.hsf
(152.02 KiB) Downloaded 285 times
Pantry cab top.zip
(26.02 KiB) Downloaded 287 times
jason galbraith
Company Name: Eastcoast Ultimate

Re: Oi vai, these corner cabs!

Post by jason galbraith »

With my limited knowledge of Ecabs, I wouldn't try to make this cabinet with it. And what a thing of beauty it is....n't :) I would use the import DXF function to get the tops and shelves cut out in part editor though.
Core i7-2600 @ 3.70Ghz - 8 GB ram - Win 7 Ultimate 64bit - 2 x 24" ASUS monitors - Nvidia 600 Quadro 1GB graphics
www.eastcoastultimate.com.au
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Tim,

It is a little involved but your cabinet can be done in eCabinets.
tim.jpg
Tim Massa

Post by Tim Massa »

Jason,
I agree. A thing of beauty it aint. It's going in a concrete corner cubby in an 8 sided structure that has no closets. Owner is trying to get every last bit of storage so....
I agree that the notion of bailing on the E-cabs route and drawing it up in a simpler program may make the most sense. I wanted to get E-cabs to do it as it will be getting shipped flat packed and assembled in the field. RTA's will be used for construction joints. Didn't want to draw all that out but it may have been the easier route for me.
Kerry,
I cant tell but does that cabinet you posted have the correct dimensions? If so, could you share what is the approach taken with respect to those 'Left Back Flush' and 'Center of Angle' inputs for width and depth. How it relates to back panel dimensioning? I have not been able to understand their meaning in context of relating to the cabinet parts.

Thanks,
Tim
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Tim,

The dimensions are just close, I didn't spend a great deal of time on it. I used left and right back dimensions to get the basic box then used a front inset on the left end and a negative front inset on the right end to size them. I had to use part editor cuts on the top and deck to get the final shape. This still lets you use joinery on all the parts. If I can steal some time tomorrow I will try to draw it correctly and send the file.

Kerry
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Tim,

Here is the cabinet. the measurements are real close. I didn't re-do the part editor cuts on the top and deck to make them perfect but you can get the idea.

Kerry
Attachments
tim.hsf
(280.02 KiB) Downloaded 280 times
Tim Massa

Post by Tim Massa »

Hi Kerry

Thanks for taking the time with this. A few of the measurements are off by .25"- .75" on the widths of the back panels. Also noticed that you, too, had to juke those left back flush numbers from anything I'm pulling off the cad drawing.

My thinking is that if you've got to roll up your sleeves on it then I don't want to try it here (there's another one of these cabs, mirrored, that has to be create slightly different with part editor cuts to boot). I'll cut my losses and switch over to another cutting strategy.

Many thanks for taking the time to help me with it. Much appreciated.

Tim

Who coined a 'left flush back' anyhow? Or was it a 'back left flush' ?..........
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Tim,

The discrepancies in measurements probably comes from the fact that I didn't know if your drawing was for the cabinets itself or just the top so I just got things close.

Left back flush simply means that the left back will extend behind the left end as opposed to dying into the left end.

Didn't "Juke" any numbers. You have to allow that eCabinets adds length to the ends and backs to accommodate miters (I wish they would change this) and make adjustments accordingly.

If you don't own a copy of "The Almost Complete Guide to eCabinet Systems Software" I suggest you order one. It will answer a lot of your questions about corner cabs. No better time than the present to "Roll up your sleeves". It is all part of the learning process.

If I can help, email me at kerry@hightechcabinets.com
Tim Massa

Post by Tim Massa »

Hi Kerry,

Been tied up in the shop and havn't gotten back to this stcky cab. Thanks again for having a look at it.

One of the things that still puzzles me is the idea that the "Left back flush simply means that the left back will extend behind the left end as opposed to dying into the left end"

Is that similar to the rest of the cab editor construction settings. Looking at the width and depth settings of the 'left back flush' on your cabinet the values are 33.582" and 32.706". How would these values relate to having the back lap the side or the side lap the back?

What about the right back flush?