Feature Requests

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Re: Feature Requests

Post by Scott Marshburn »

Who would like to have a feature to estimate the amounts of finish needed to finish there cabinets based on user input for example by square or cubic feet of base cabinets, upper cabinets and tall cabents.Maby with a data base much like the materials that the user could set up the cost and product name and the application amount per square foot or cubic foot?
Gerry A Brown
Company Name: Old Style Woodwork

Post by Gerry A Brown »

Hi,

I think Daren's suggestion of a master list would come in very handy at a time like this after a new release. We could check off which feature requests were checked off the list.
I guess the down side of a master list is we would see how many features have been on the list for a long time with no indication that they will ever be implemented.
If we had the option of voting for which features we would like to see implemented it would indicate the most popular features requested.

Some of the improvements in the new release are greatly appreciated in our office while others are of no use to us. I am not sure how many people will use the drawers with runners dadoed into the gables. For us this is a non starter. It would be interesting to see the popularity of some of these features. I think the dadoed drawer runner is an attempt to access the lower cost market & we don't try to compete in that market.

One more vote for a master list of feature requests, hopefully with a option to record member votes for each feature to indicate member buy in.

Gerry
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member

Add my vote
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Gerry,
Some of the features included in this latest build like the Drawer Dado and the Lock Dimensions were features that Thermwood had to develop for their YouBuild venture that became part of the software. They were not features that were requested by users.
Gerry A Brown

Post by Gerry A Brown »

Hi Kerry,

I thought that was where the Drawer Dado feature came from. What i was trying to point out is if we had a list we could see what feature requests are addressed in a new build & which ones are new features not requested by members etc. If we could have the feature requests ranked by votes it would maybe give the most requested features more sway with the programers? (highest ranked most likely to be implemented hopefully)

Thanks,
Gerry
Daren LaBranche
Company Name: Drawn to Wood

Post by Daren LaBranche »

Sounds like an excellent idea to me Gerry.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Gerry, Daren,

The list idea comes up quite often and in the past the reason for not implmenting it is the fact that although there are around 3500 users registered to the forum, at any one time there are very few of those that visit the forum and even fewer who are active visitors.(there was a thread that gave these statistics in the past) Because of this fact a list posted and voted on this forum would not give an accurate representation of the needs and wishes of the actual group of eCabinet Systems users.
Gerry A Brown

Post by Gerry A Brown »

Hi Kerry,

What you say makes sense in terms of not giving the voting to much sway for which requests are implemented but I think it would be a useful tool for any member who would like to check the list to see what has been requested and maybe if Thermwood has indicated a interest in implementing the feature etc. I think it could be an incentive for more members to participate in the forum. ( drop by to see what is on the list maybe add your own request for a feature )

It would also prevent a lot of requests for the same feature as you could check the list before making a request.

Gerry
Daren LaBranche
Company Name: Drawn to Wood

Post by Daren LaBranche »

I see your point Kerry, but I still agree with Gerry. Your comment "The list idea comes up quite often" should indicate that this is something needed.

I see this discussion about 2 things; 1) An organized & updated list of requests & upcoming features, and 2) A way to help Thermwood measure which of these items may be most desired by forum users.

Not only would an up-to-date & organized summary list of requests provide users with a more productive & rewarding use of this forum, but it would also likely attract more of those 'inactive' members back to participating if they felt their ideas & opinions actually could make a difference. I personally don't feel that this forum is doing this very well at present. For example, where is the section for ShopBot Link users?

I see this as the perfect example of "If you build it they will come?"
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member

Hey I got a idea maybe if we made our request directed toward the you build program maybe we could get some results :joker:
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member

I was wandering if it was in the works to add the ability to change board stock in the custom layout area along with sheet stock?