Swapping Edgebaning on Multiple Cabinets

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Daren LaBranche
Company Name: Drawn to Wood

Swapping Edgebaning on Multiple Cabinets

Post by Daren LaBranche »

I can't seem to find how to swap edgebanding on a room full of cabinets in Custom Layout? Please don't tell me this will require me to build a dedicated range of seed cabinets to a specific type of edgebanding. I thought it would be as simple as swapping sheet goods.
Daniel Odom
Company Name: Carlton Kitchen and Bath

Re: Swapping Edgebaning on Multiple Cabinets

Post by Daniel Odom »

If the edge-banding is the same thickness as the one you're swapping you could change the thickness of the current edge-banding in the material editor, reload the job and you will be asked to load an edge-banding with the same thickness; then choose a replacement. If it is of a significantly different thickness then I don't know of any other way to replace it other than going in and editing the cabinets. If there's an easier way to do this then I'd like to know.
Rick Deskins
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood

Post by Rick Deskins »

There is no global changing of edge banding from the room or batch in V6 Build 8. This will be a new feature in V6 Build 9. It is currently in Beta now.
Rick Deskins
eCabinet Systems Programmer
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM/ AMD FirePro V4900
Daren LaBranche

Thanks for the tip Daniel. I just tried your suggestion (as I understand it). While I see that it could possibly be used to achieve this, it's certainly not very user-friendly or congruent with maintaining an accurate material library. If I understand you correctly.

What I believe you're saying is that I would need to alter the thickness of the banding that my cabinets were built with - in the material editor - to a temporary, non-real thickness. Then for each cabinet that I drop into a room I would need to swap out the banding. By changing the thickness you're forcing a swap materials dialog to pop-up. In which case I believe that I would need to build my cabinet seed library with duplicate cabinets of varying edgebanding thickness? Do I have this correct?

Thanks
Daren LaBranche

Any idea when the beta will be released mainstream Rick? What do you suggest I do in the meantime?
Daniel Odom
Company Name: Carlton Kitchen and Bath

Post by Daniel Odom »

Daren LaBranche wrote:Thanks for the tip Daniel. I just tried your suggestion (as I understand it). While I see that it could possibly be used to achieve this, it's certainly not very user-friendly or congruent with maintaining an accurate material library. If I understand you correctly.

What I believe you're saying is that I would need to alter the thickness of the banding that my cabinets were built with - in the material editor - to a temporary, non-real thickness. Then for each cabinet that I drop into a room I would need to swap out the banding. By changing the thickness you're forcing a swap materials dialog to pop-up. In which case I believe that I would need to build my cabinet seed library with duplicate cabinets of varying edgebanding thickness? Do I have this correct?

Thanks
Yes, that's just a work-around when you want to change edge-banding of the same thickness for labeling purposes, different thicknesses won't work. Open E-cabs w/o a job loaded, temporarily change the banding thickness of that which is used in the job, update, then load the job, forcing the switch material dialog. I usually use batch processing so I'm not sure about custom layout.
Rick Deskins
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood

Post by Rick Deskins »

Its hard to say when how long the beta will last. The earliest would probably be 2 or 3 weeks, but if something major comes up it could push it back.

If you need to change banding thickness on cabinets in the room that exists, you will have to take each cabinet/assembly to the cabinet editor from the room and change the banding on it, then return to the room. If you room does not exists yet, then you can load the existing cabinets in the cabinet editor change the banding then save the cabinet in new directory. Then make your room when those cabinets. You would have seed cabinets for each thickness of banding.
Rick Deskins
eCabinet Systems Programmer
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM/ AMD FirePro V4900