Door to door gaps

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Jon Dieterlen

Door to door gaps

Post by Jon Dieterlen »

Am I missing something, or do the door to door/drawer to drawer gaps not work with a face frame cabinet. I want to build a full overlay face frame library, but I have to adjust each overlay to get the gaps correct on doors/drawers that land on the same rail/stile.

Also it would be nice if when you change an opening size in a face frame, the door/drawer would re-size as well. Not only can we not lock openings, we have to put the doors/drawers back in after we have to re-size them to the correct size. This becomes real apparent when resizing a blind corner cabinet.

Jon
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Re: Door to door gaps

Post by Scott Marshburn »

Jon It seems that this feature does not work with framed cabinets but will work with framless.I don't know the reason for this maybe someone from programing could explain?
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

Scott,

The doors and drawers overlay the stiles and rails by the amount you specify. Gaps in a framed cabinet only apply for inset doors and drawers. The gaps entries at the bottom of the construction dialog apply when the doors and drawers are stacked.

If you want to have the doors/drawer fronts overlay a mid-stile, but you want to maintain a gap, you'll have to compute the overlay for the opening side of the door or drawer front to achieve that gap. So if you wanted a 1/8" gap on a 2" wide mid-stile, you would need to have an overlay of .96875. (Mid-stile Width - .125)/2

This should achieve what you want to do. It is just different terminology.

Dennis
Jon Dieterlen

Post by Jon Dieterlen »

What I was wanting to do, is place doors/drawers in a FF cabinet w/multiple openings and maintain the door to door gaps and the door to drawer gaps etc., without having to adjust the overlays individually for each opening depending on whether there are adjacent doors/drawers. I see that this is not possible.

Jon
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

As you indicated there is no automatic way that the software recognizes those relationships in a face frame cabinet.

I did play with the settings I referred to in the previous post. I believe that this is very doable and takes just seconds to change the settings and install the doors or drawers. If you have a drawer stack within an opening, it would use the gaps setup in the Gap Settings entries. For installation of single doors, the opening edge would be assigned the different or larger overlay. For drawer fronts, the left and right overlays would change based upon the installation and the bottom overlay would change when there is a mid-rail. Making these changes and installing the door or drawer can be completed very quickly.

Dennis