Help with angled cabinet, please

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Eddie Yakubovich
Company Name: Romanza Cabinetry

Help with angled cabinet, please

Post by Eddie Yakubovich »

Hey guys,

I have learned that there is no problem to large for this forum, so after hours of trying to figure this out I'd like to ask for some help.

I am trying to build the cabinet in the attached photo, but I am running into trouble. I know I can do it via the part editor, but I have
to believe that it can be done using just the construction settings of the cabinet.

One thing to note:

I would like the blind dado for the top, shelves and deck to go into the left end.

Thanks so much,
Eddie
Attachments
Angled Cabinet.jpg
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Re: Help with angled cabinet, please

Post by Scott Marshburn »

Hi Eddie as you have probably found out by now the only way to make this cabinet is with the part editor,constraints,display panels and/or other parts robbed from another cabinet. Then save as an assembly.
Dennis Englert

Re: Help with angled cabinet, please

Post by Dennis Englert »

Eddie,

You must create the angles for the top, deck and any shelves with the Part Editor. The back will need to be inset in the Construction Settings. A stretcher can be used for the left end. You'll need to determine how wide the panel needs to be. Rotate the stretcher 45 degrees. Using the Advanced feature set, you can change the insets so the left end is measured from the top of the top and the bottom of the bottom. After that use the other insets to move the panel to the end of the cabinet.

You may want to play with locking the insets. It will drill a hole pattern into a slab door, but not into the stretcher side.

From my experiments you can not get the top and deck to join (assign a construction method) the left side stretcher, nor the angled back.

You could also use a Display Panel. You would have to determine the left end dimensions, then create the panel, rotate it and move it into position. This is possibly the quicker solution. You would need to associate the panel to the cabinet, then you can save it as the cabinet. In either case, you don't need to save this as an Assembly.

If you had to create a face frame for a door on the angled side, then you would have to use another cabinet to create the face frame minus the cabinet components. This would have to be saved as an assembly. "Added:" If you added a door to the angled side, then you could install a Display Door (option just under Display Panels), but you would need to know the exact size and rotate it to install it. Basically, the same process as installing the Display Panel. This could be associated with the cabinet and the cabinet saved. It would not drill the hing holes.

Dennis