drawer slides

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Greg Hairston

drawer slides

Post by Greg Hairston »

Hello,
It has been some years since I used Ecabinets but I am trying to remember things I have long fogotten. I am building a vanity with drawers. How do I account for the thickness of the drawer slides when I add a drawer box.

Thanks
Greg
Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Re: drawer slides

Post by Mark McCallum »

Hi Greg
Go to construction settings for your selected cabinet.
Select add drawer door settings.
In the panel tick add drawer box with drawer front and input your settings.
I like to use the minimum increments on the height and depth as it locks those sizes.
Hope this makes sense. :)
Greg Hairston

Post by Greg Hairston »

Mark,
If I understand you correctly if I have a slide that is 1/2 Inch I select an inset of 1/2 inch in the drawer box settings panel. Is this correct. For some reason I was thinking that it automatically offset for the slides.

Thanks for the quick response.

Greg
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Post by Scott Marshburn »

I for one would like to have this setting available in the drawer box designer so that we could create various drawer boxes that use different slides with different clearances on the left and right for the slides. In other words an area to set slide clearance left and right in the drawer box designer.
Jon Dieterlen

Post by Jon Dieterlen »

That would be a great time saver when changing from say a solid wood dove tail box w/under-mount slides to a ply box using ball-bearing full extension slides. The side inset as well as the depth increment really needs to be tied to the slide being used. You could set up specific drawer boxes for each slide that you use, then you could change the drawers in the entire job in the modify features dialog, thus changing the slide, and the insets, all very quickly.

Jon
Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Post by Mark McCallum »

Hi. Greg
you probably have this sorted now from the comments of Jon and Scott, but yes, Left insert 1/2". Right insert 1/2 inch.
And I also agree with Jon and Scott it would be a nice feature to associate the runner offsets to drawer boxes.
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Post by Scott Marshburn »

It would also be nice if we could do the same for the doors and drawer fronts also. That way when we have to change a custom layout that the customer changed there mind from standard 1/2 inch overlay to lets say inset or full over lay we could just change the doors and drawer fronts all at once. This happened just last week. All of the reports were ready to go to the shop floor in the morning only to have the customer ask if we could put a full overlay on the doors and drawer fronts. Our face frames have 1 3/4 and 1 1/4 inch rails and styles as a standard and we were able to get hinges to get the overlay needed. But we still had to take each cabinet back to the door editor and change them 1 by 1.
Very time consuming and mistake prone.