Overhead View / Elevation View

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Travis Black
Company Name: Serenity Construction Inc.

Overhead View / Elevation View

Post by Travis Black »

Why can I set cabinets in the Overhead view, but when I click into the Elevation view those cabinets do not display? I can see my base cabinets, but can not see my upper cabinets. I have tried just about everything to get them to display but no luck.
Jon Dieterlen

Re: Overhead View / Elevation View

Post by Jon Dieterlen »

You need to associate them to the wall for them to show up in the elevation view for that wall. Click on the cabinets you want to show up in the elevation view, click on the wall you want them to be associated with, click on the associate to wall icon. If items are moved or placed in freestyle mode, they will not be associated with a wall.

For some reason, items mysteriously become unassociated with walls, and need to be associated again. I find this happens repeatedly.

Jon
Dennis Englert

Re: Overhead View / Elevation View

Post by Dennis Englert »

Make sure that your placement settings are "Align to Back". When you put a cabinet onto a wall in the Plan view, the wireframe of the cabinet will change colors. Left-click again to place the cabinet. When you place additional cabinets in the room next to another cabinet, the cabinet you are placing will jump or snap into place aligned with the back of the cabinet it's adjoining. It is very important for the first cabinet (usually the corner cabinet) to be snapped to the wall. This is referred to as being "Associated". If the corner cabinet is not associated to both walls, then the next cabinets will not be associated. The additional cabinets snap to the back of the corner cabinet. Hover your mouse pointer over a cabinet or corner cabinet. A dialog will pop-up and it will indicate if there are associations and which walls it is a associated to. This information is also presented on the left side panel.

I do not believe that associating cabinets to a wall is the correct procedure. You should remove the cabinets and put them in correctly the first time. I think that the only time you want to "Associate" cabinets to a wall is when they are not associated to a wall, such as a island cabinet, so that you can precisely move them to a position and also view them on the elevation view. Associations are a must for other objects, such as plants, mannequins, stools, sinks, etc.

I have not experienced any cabinets becoming unassociated from a wall. I can only advise that you should make sure the first cabinet on a wall or corner cabinet is associated to the appropriate walls.

Dennis