drilling holes?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Ben Carter
Company Name: Livesound Ltd

drilling holes?

Post by Ben Carter »

Hey Guys,

Ive been trying to "drill" holes for a wheel dolly we make and have never had any success with this.
Our machine will never pick up the drill bit, it will just try to route/pocket the holes with a cutter. even if the holes are to small for the cutter it wants to use.
Ive attached a copy of the drawing, maybe I have done something wrong.
Everything at the machine seems to be setup correctly also.

Regards

Ben
Attachments
wheel dolly.hsf
(202.02 KiB) Downloaded 356 times
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Re: drilling holes?

Post by Scott Marshburn »

Try this
Make sure that the drill bit is set up with the same diameter as the hole you want to drill. If you are using tool groups make sure that the material is listed in the same tool group set the drill bit to drill and make sure that it is listed in the operations before the other cutters that it is trying to use. For example if the cutter that it is trying to use is under operation 5 then set the drill bit in operation 4 or 3.
As for the it trying to use a cutter that is larger than the hole make sure the diameter is correct. And check the tolerance for the cutter.See this link about tool tolerance
http://order.ecabinetsystems.com/update ... Manual.htm
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Ben,

If those holes were created in the part editor, they will be considered pocket cuts.
Set your drill bit to pocket instead of drill and make sure it is the only tool available.
Daniel Odom
Company Name: Carlton Kitchen and Bath

Post by Daniel Odom »

I'll add that I like to keep my operations separate even if the operations are using the same tool. For example, if I want to set up T1 to drill, but will also use it to rout, I'll set up an op. with T1 to drill, then set up another op. to rout with T1. Makes it easier to connect the dots as to why control nesting is using a certain tool and allows you to change speeds/feeds depending on the operation. I tend to set up all drilling op.s first, then routing, then pocketing and then interpolating last. Usually I set them up within these types of operation in order of largest to smallest diameter.
Ben Carter

Post by Ben Carter »

Thanks guys, just got to work so Ill try all suggestions and see what works best.

Regards

Ben
Ben Carter

Post by Ben Carter »

I tried all suggestions with no luck, setup tool ops with drills before cutters and to pocket as the holes in my drawing are done as a pocket. it picks up the right tool now but still wants to pocket the holes larger than the drawing, and then wants to cut the rest of the pockets with that tool. I'm scratching my head over this. how does one "drill" holes in ecabinet instead of pocketing them? maybe that would work? Ive watched most videos on the online tutorial but no info there.

Regards Ben
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member

Just out of curiosity what happens if you remove the rectangle pockets and set the drill bit to drill only. Also if the same cutter you have set for drill is set to pocket too and you do not have a larger cutter set to pocket it will use the smaller cutter. I have not tried to run this part but It would seem to me that I would need a drill bit of 5/16 diameter set to drill only and a cutter that is slightly smaller than the rectangles set to pocket then set the cleanup amount to 0 unless you want the rectangles squared off. If you want them squared off then I would set the cleanup amount to around 1/32 or so and use a 1/8 cutter to cleanup the pocket.
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member

Just came to me If you are using tool groups and you have the same material listed in mutable groups the machine will scan the groups until it finds the first group with that material in it so make sure that the first tool group that has that material in it has the appropriate cutters set up for the operations that you want. Hope this helps
Ben Carter

Post by Ben Carter »

I haven't tried taking the rectangles out. I have 3 "drill bits" set for drilling in the typewriter head, a 5mm, 8mm, and 10mm. these are the only size holes we need to drill. we use a 9.25mm cutter for outline cutting and a 12.7mm for pocketing in the back tool holders. for us this is basically all we need.
I would have thought that if I wanted to drill holes id just set the tools for drilling and the cutters for cutting and pocketing????
If there is a way to just drill holes in ecabinet then I would rather do that but I cant seem find such a function.

I have one materials group for all our plywood which includes:
6mm ply
6mm ply+1mm laminate
9mm ply
9mm ply+1mm laminate
12mm ply
17mm ply
tools in this group are
5mm drill
8mm drill
10mm drill
9.25 cutter for outline
9.25 cutter for route/dado and pocketing
12.7mm cutter for route/dado and pocketing

materials group 2
12mm high density foam
25mm high density foam
40mm high density foam
12mm med density foam
25mm med density foam
40mm med density foam
tools for this group are
12.5mm foam cutter

all the tools are setup right as far as i'm concerned, I've checked against all the posts and seem to be right.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Ben,

What is the actual diameter of your drill set up in tooling?
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member

Ben we use imperial measurements and I have ben using inches and Fractions to test your part every thing works fine on that setting. But after you posted your tooling setup I changed over to metric when I took the part into constraint manager I noticed that the hole radius is 3.99 mm you do not have a drill operation set up with a 7.98 diameter drill bit but you do have a 8mm drill bit so try changing the radius of the holes too 4mm and see if that works