Pilot holes for Lock Dado

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Pilot holes for Lock Dado

Post by Scott Marshburn »

I would like to create pilot holes for the back of this cabinet I created a KD/RTA hole pattern that will make the holes That I need but for this part (The back) I would like it to be a full dado. So I Made the settings as shown. But the top and bottom pilot hole keeps being placed at the very top edge as well as the bottom. I can set the Left and right edge to 1 inch and the hole is in a acceptable location. But I would like if it is possible to keep the back as a full dado. Does any one have any suggestions on how this can be done using a lock dado and KD/RTA hoe pattern?
Attachments
BackConstructionParamenters.png
LockDadoHolePattern.png
Daniel Odom
Company Name: Carlton Kitchen and Bath

Re: Pilot holes for Lock Dado

Post by Daniel Odom »

Doesn't seem to be a straight forward way to do it other than A) make a multi hole pattern and apply as a single or B) use RTA joinery>part editor/save edges>change joinery to full dado> part editor/ load pattern.
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member

Thanks for your reply Daniel. I think that I will have to stick with the Blind dado as it will be easer for the user of this library to resize also there is a good chance that we will be using a 1/4 back instead.
That does bring up another question. What type of backs do you guys use for commercial cabinets and how do you attach the finished toe kicks. Currently on our custom cabinets (wood) we use a 1/4 inch skin after the cabinets are installed. The cabinets that we will be using for commercial will be partial board Melamine.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Scott,

When you create your hole pattern, offset the pattern 2" in the Y axis. This moves it away from the edge then use a 100% thickness tenon lock dado with 0" insets and 0" Lock Dado Tenon Gaps to apply the hole pattern. You can adjust how many holes using the Max. Dist. Setting.
This still isn't perfect but gets the job done.
Scott M.jpg
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member

Thanks Kerry but I already tried that it does move the top hole down where I would like it but unfortunately it moves the bottom hole down by that amount also. Is this the same result you get?
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Yes, that is the trade off to get the holes placed automatically.

The best way to do what you want is to cut the holes in the part editor and constrain them.