Crashing on windows 8

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Ben Carter
Company Name: Livesound Ltd

Crashing on windows 8

Post by Ben Carter »

Hi,

Just installed eCabinets on a new computer yesterday and straight away it crashed on me when in trying to edit a pattern in the contours editer.
Anyone else had this problem?
Also constraints manager is playing up, if I set my constraints for my cutouts then want to change the size of my cabinet it wants to delete all my pockets????????? Is this normal?
Any info would be good as im getting sick of this.

Ben
Dennis Englert

Re: Crashing on windows 8

Post by Dennis Englert »

Biggest issue is typically the drivers for the graphics card. Go to the website for your graphics card and update the drivers.

Dennis
Ben Carter

Post by Ben Carter »

Yes Ive updated the drivers etc. still many problems with Patterns, now none of my patterns will open in contour mode. even if i re draw them. they were there yesterday and I used them to draw some cases up fine. Get to work this morning and go to draw up a job - NOTHING. This software is becoming LUGGAGE!!!!!! shame really, Ive been using it for a few years cutting simple squares and now I want to drill holes for my hardware it keeps crashing and having fits.
Its not like the things I need to do are complicated and the software can definitely do it, I just need to know why these things keep happening.
Daniel Odom
Company Name: Carlton Kitchen and Bath

Post by Daniel Odom »

If it was me... I'd just downgrade to Windows 7 until there is a fix. As far as constraint manager, it can be a little buggy sometimes depending on what you're trying to do and/or you may have some conflicting constraints or constraints that won't work with re-sizing. I find it more useful for drawing something quickly rather than try and make a bunch of parametric part cut-outs; I usually just delete the constraints once I have the geometry where I want it. The only exception is that I do use it for hole locations and it seems to work alright for that. Anyhow, it's best to post the file you're having trouble with, usually someone will look at it when they get the chance and tell you if there is anything wrong with it or if it is indeed a glitch.
Ben Carter

Post by Ben Carter »

The programs seems pretty stable in windows 8, and I cant be bothered having to down grade then upgrade to be honest. For us I NEED the constraints to work properly as we are using to build roadcases for the proaudio industry and setting a "case template" with the constraints in place so I can resize the case as needed for the customer and all geometry to stay the same, the problem im having with the attached file is if I resize it in the main editor the left and right panels change but the panels with the holes stay the original size, however if I use the test function in the constraints manager its changes as expected.???????? Would be nice if this worked as expected.

As for the contours editor and the patterns i've found that if i shutdown the program restart it and redo the exact same steps as when I have had a problem trying to pocket the pattern then it will work. Another weird one. had the same problem in windows 7 with this.
Attachments
8U Shockmount Rack Insert With Rackstrip Holes.jpg
8U Shockmount Rack Insert With Rackstrip Holes.jpg (6.96 KiB) Viewed 6179 times
Daniel Odom
Company Name: Carlton Kitchen and Bath

Post by Daniel Odom »

Well you could create a windows xp or windows 7 virtual machine and run via vmware, might work, haven't tested it but I run Autocad 2011 that way just fine, maybe I'll try it out if I get some free time. Are you trying to load an x_t file or dxf? If dxf, you might want to look at the file type you're saving it as. Can't tell much from your jpg, try posting the hsf and the pattern/dxf in question. Post your computer specs as well. A couple of constraints shouldn't be an issue, but if you're setting up some really complex constraints then you might need to use something like Inventor instead, ecabinets just doesn't seem to be designed for that type of work; though you can accomplish a lot if you're willing to put in a lot of time and aren't easily frustrated.
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

You only sent attached a jpg of the box. For someone to assist with this you need to attach the .hsf file for the cabinet.

Additionally, the updated driver's must come from the video card manufacturer's website, not Dell, HP or Microsoft or ....

To the best of my knowledge, there have been no reported issues with Constraint Manager and Windows 8. Actually, Windows 8 has seemed to be rather flawless.

Anyway, let someone look at your cabinet and check out the constraints.

Dennis
Ben Carter

Post by Ben Carter »

Yea sorry I realized that I had uploaded the wrong file, here is the new one. Ive most likely done something wrong in constraints but I cant figure out what.
Yes drivers are from the manufacturers website.
eCab runs well on windows 8 but it still crashes every now and then, HOWEVER its become less frequent, god only knows why.
Attachments
Livesound 8U Shockmount Truckpack Rack.hsf
(472.02 KiB) Downloaded 323 times